• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

according to wikipedia his name was Beauregard. Luke was Lucas.

john schneider's parents used to live near me in atlanta. he drove around in a general lee so every once in a while we'd see it at their house. i think he went to north springs. #trashhighschool

When my kids were littler we would start bedtime routine at 6:30. Kind of sucked not having much time with them after working a full day but I also didn’t mind the couple of hours to myself at night.

Kiddo is just shy of 18 months old:
Get home from daycare at ~5:15.
Play time/make dinner time until 6pm.
Eat dinner at 6pm.
Bathtime starts at 6:30-6:40 if she's getting one, then it's put on pjs and read books.
She's in bed within 5min of 7:00pm every night.
We're also incredibly, knowingly fortunate that she's a great sleeper and has never been fussy about it. She may happily babble with her lovey for a few minutes, but oftentimes she's totally zonked by 7:15pm.

It would be nice if I had any ounce of energy left at that point, but it has been great for some solid grown-up time. Sitting on the patio with a beverage while she's already in sleeping is pretty blissful.

according to wikipedia his name was Beauregard. Luke was Lucas.

john schneider's parents used to live near me in atlanta. he drove around in a general lee so every once in a while we'd see it at their house. i think he went to north springs. #trashhighschool

Biff was wrong again.

Isn't David Hasselhoff also from Sandy Springs ?

Kiddo is just shy of 18 months old:
Get home from daycare at ~5:15.
Play time/make dinner time until 6pm.
Eat dinner at 6pm.
Bathtime starts at 6:30-6:40 if she's getting one, then it's put on pjs and read books.
She's in bed within 5min of 7:00pm every night.
We're also incredibly, knowingly fortunate that she's a great sleeper and has never been fussy about it. She may happily babble with her lovey for a few minutes, but oftentimes she's totally zonked by 7:15pm.

It would be nice if I had any ounce of energy left at that point, but it has been great for some solid grown-up time. Sitting on the patio with a beverage while she's already in sleeping is pretty blissful.

yeah we're similar on the times, just maybe a bit later than that for our almost 16-month old. it's so nice to have him in bed without problems and then we have the rest of the night to ourselves. once he's in his crib, he's good to go, although some nights he stands up and whines a bit but usually is asleep anywhere from 5-15 minutes after being put down.

yeah pretty sure it's Bo and Luke, not Beau and Luc. we don't need no FRENCHIES in our shows

Congrats clutch! Good luck!

This weekend my 14 year old tried to sneak a beer in my fridge. I found it opened on the top shelf behind some other jars and yoghurts with a few sips gone. It was a hop heavy IPA and Im sure she thought it was gross and put it back before she was caught. I’m pretty excited to be starting that phase of parenting. As lesson #1 I am kind of tempted to teach how to cover up her shit a little better than leaving an open beer in the fridge.

When my almost 14 year old daughter does stuff like that (usually involving lying about chores/schoolwork, not beers), I tell her I don't appreciate being treated like an idiot. I'm going to find out anyway, so I'd rather she just tell me up front when she makes a mistake instead of pushing it down the line when it is tougher to fix. Of course that never takes, because parents are in fact idiots, so we have that conversation on a semi-regular basis

- Getting a comfortable feeding operation down is key where mom can attend to both babies at the same time. You don't want to get them on alternating feeding schedules because you'll never get a break. That also means waking up a sleeping baby to keep them on the same schedule which just feels wrong but is a must. We actually had a twin bed in the nursery early on as the place from which the feeding operation occurred and it also gave mom a place to lay down. I'd also advise you consider getting a large sized loveseat (ours was a loveseat rocker) that can accommodate a parent with a babe on each side. You'll use it plenty later when they want to sit and read with you anyway. We loved the Leachco podster as a safe comfortable gadget for containing the babies before and after feeds just beside mom: https://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Pods...ocphy=9009567&hvtargid=pla-465492633251&psc=1

as an uncle to identical twin 5-month old girls that I help out with most days, I'll add this product as one that has been great for feeding time: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...QcROuG0aAkq2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&wmSkipPwa=1

you roll up a couple towels to support the bottles and they can more or less feed without any need to hold the bottle, just help them when they take a break from sucking and it falls out

that assumes you go the bottle/pump route -- my sister-in-law tried breastfeeding and it was too much with two, plus it made the transition easier when she went back to work after her maternity leave

one thing to share, a month or so ago I asked them what the most surprising thing about the whole experience was and they said "how it easy it all is" -- not that it's easy, but everyone is pretty over-the-top about how hard it is with twins, how little you'll sleep, etc. and that just never materialized for them -- they got pretty lucky on some easy-going babies, but I'd not psych yourself out too much about the difficulty of it all

I'll follow up if I think of other twin-specific things

and congrats!

Last edited:
I very much wish we had my son on a regular nighttime routine but my wife handles that side of things. In the before times I often wasn’t home yet. Now I try and work while she’s doing that to make up for various childcare responsibilities during work hours.

One of the best things to come out of COVID is developing a regular nighttime routine for my boys (11 and 8) that allows my wife to go to sleep when she wants and they don’t fight over us putting them to bed.

One of the best things to come out of COVID is developing a regular nighttime routine for my boys (11 and 8) that allows my wife to go to sleep when she wants and they don’t fight over us putting them to bed.

It seems like we have less of a routine because there is no separation of work and home.

It seems like we have less of a routine because there is no separation of work and home.

my wife goes into work (and takes our son to daycare) and I leave the house at 5 to go pick him up, so it's sort of like me coming home for the day, which has given me a nice definitive end to the workday.

I can’t understand this mindset. Isn’t there a computer you can turn off at the end of the day?

Sure but not a brain. And if there’s less separation between home and work, it’s more difficult to devote time totally to each one.

That doesn't seem like something that would be hard to understand. I had a home office when we barely used computers. It was not easy.

I can’t understand this mindset. Isn’t there a computer you can turn off at the end of the day?

For us this pandemic, it's been the requirement to keep at least some brainspace going for everything at all times.
Early on before baby started daycare, it was knowing her nap and feeding schedule as it would fit into my work day, and then knowing all through my own dinner and her bedtime routine I was keeping a piece of my work brain 'on' so I could log back in and finish what I couldn't accomplish during the day because of baby.
Now that's still true, but it's not about baby feeding and naptime - it's when my stepkids are here and asking school questions or just need to pop into the office to ask if they can ride their bike around the neighborhood or whatever. You're always "on" in some capacity, and if your workday is "flexible" to allow you to do this during the day, the expectation is you're finish work later/at a different time. So yeah, my computer goes off from 5-7 every night because that's family time, but it's not uncommon that I have to log back in. The fact this alllllll taking place every day in the same 1500 square feet is really challenging. I don't get the same sense of relief/relaxation of coming 'home' away from work, because that's where work has been happening all day. I don't get the productive feeling of arriving at work because... it's my house and all the normal 'house' stuff is still in my face all day.

...but yeah, super cool for you if this isn't your struggle. Congrats or something.

my wife goes into work (and takes our son to daycare) and I leave the house at 5 to go pick him up, so it's sort of like me coming home for the day, which has given me a nice definitive end to the workday.

I take little one to daycare in the mornings and in the same way, use that as my commute. Then when I get back home, I just walk through the garage directly into my new home office (we converted a space off the garage) and I do not stop to say hello or do anything in the house. From then on, I'm mentally very much able to be 'at work' (until I go inside to use the bathroom or other). I've been trying to be purposeful about not stopping to chit-chat with my husband or stepkids because it becomes too easy to get sucked back into home life stuff. Husband and I will now text each other during the day like we used to in The Before Times, just to maintain that real 'I am at work now' mindset. We're trying hard to

Then, when little one gets home at 5:15ish, I shut things off at least until 7pm (her bedtime). Hopefully for the night, but it's not uncommon to have to finish more work once she goes down just given other home life interruptions during the day.

Sure but not a brain. And if there’s less separation between home and work, it’s more difficult to devote time totally to each one.

My friend and colleague (US federal natural resource agency employee!) changed his email signature to "I can't tell if I'm working from home or living at work." which I though was spot on.

Yeah. I don't know when I'm going to be asked to be a husband or father or professor and all the subroles within each. Around two hours ago, I sat down planning to write for two hours with a short break to pop a lasagna in the oven because I cook dinner pretty much every day. I answered some emails and my 8 year old came to tell me about a cool YouTube video he saw about Pakistan. I went back to the emails. 20 minutes later he came out to tell me about a cool YouTube video he saw about Amsterdam. (For the record, neither of these videos were about what most adults think about these countries.) Then about 20 minutes after that, my wife came home from getting her hair done and shopping and asked me to put away groceries. I told her I my plan for dinner and she reminded me we had beef for stew in the fridge we needed to eat. So I started a stew beef in the Ninja and rice in the Instant Pot. And now I'm back.

Back