• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

How many Drag Queen Storytimes per week do you people take your kids to ?

That reminds me. My 10 month old owes me about $1500.

We got money for her birthday and opened a 529 but she didn’t have enough for the minimum investment.

We recently had my twins christened, and they received some monetary gifts from family. Should I put it all in their 529s or do I open up savings accounts for them so that when they get older they have their own money? Considering the state of the market I feel bad putting it all in their 529s.

I will probably do a mix of both, but with birthdays and 1st communions and all the other stuff that will happen down the line, I wanted to see if any of y'all with experience had good ideas on how to do this.

If it was a sizable gift I’d just throw it all in the 529. Personally I don’t worry about todays market activity when considering a 15+ year horizon like that but even if you were, just take a less aggressive asset allocation. The tax benefits down the line are great. And depending on your state you could get a tax deduction for it.

If it was a token gift like $100 I’d just pocket it lol. Give them an allowance when they’re older.

KidInVermont got her learner's permit yesterday.

EllipticalFloweryAfricanrockpython-size_restricted.gif

it sucks sometimes for sure. I have step-kids 16 and 14

Im resigned to the fact that Ive got about 4 more fun years with the 8yo until all he cares about is his friends and gets all shitty for about 10 years and then we can chill when he's out of college

I'm mostly ok with the knowledge that my kids go out into the world and are really great kids. So far.

They definitely bring their stress and a-hole behavior home to their mom and I. Their mom takes their sh!t really personally. Really sucks being in the middle of that.

I'm mostly ok with the knowledge that my kids go out into the world and are really great kids. So far.

They definitely bring their stress and a-hole behavior home to their mom and I. Their mom takes their sh!t really personally. Really sucks being in the middle of that.

I have similar reaction as your wife. Theory that my wife has told me is that kids hold in their stress and anxiety all day and release it at home in consistent and safe environments. As much as it sucks having to feel like a target, it’s probably more healthy than your kids hiding their emotions from you because they don’t trust you

I have similar reaction as your wife. Theory that my wife has told me is that kids hold in their stress and anxiety all day and release it at home in consistent and safe environments. As much as it sucks having to feel like a target, it’s probably more healthy than your kids hiding their emotions from you because they don’t trust you

That's what our son's therapist and doctors have told us. He has ADHD and it takes a lot of effort for him to keep it together at school, so he's tired and needs to release the energy at home.

Absolutely. I am just, usually, better able to manage the targeted explosions and take it far less personal.

For our youngest, we got a relay- he can send messages to us, but it’s more like a voicemail or walkie-talkie if the app is open. And has the standard let you know when he goes in and out of areas. Since he gets home from school before we get home from work, it’s nice to know when he’s left school and when he gets home.

After baths we let our kids watch tv for about 45 minutes to wind down. Occasionally we will do the mystery show Netflix will choose for us. Did this the other night and it chose Little Angel. If you’ve not seen it, it is Cocomelon except somehow even more obnoxious and annoying. It will take the tunes of nursery rhymes but have different words which is absolutely insane

Netflix kids is a wasteland of “how did this get greenlit” crap. So obviously my kids love it.

My 8 year old wants a Nintendo Switch for Christmas. Thoughts?
We aren't electronic free in our house but we try and keep it somewhat limited. Beyond TV we do Ipad but she mostly does Prodigy which is educational, I think. I hate the idea of her playing video games all the time, but truthfully that's mostly what I did. Of course I was a bit older when I got a Nintendo because it wasn't created when I was her age. Mario and Duck Hunt, hell yeah :)

Back