• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Two of my three would not take a paci. The one who did, it was hard to break. She was only allowed it in her bed. Nowhere else, but the "paci ferry" finally had to come and go cold turkey. She was fine after a night or two. Also, not sure if it was a girl thing or not, but my two girls (son is still a baby, so we shall see) potty trained in one day with no resistance at all. We just told them to use the potty and took off the diaper. Neither even had an accident and no pee vs poop issues.

A few days ago I was walking into a grocery store and a fat guy was walking out. When he was a few feet away my 4 year old said "Daddy, look at his big, big tummy!". I didn't say anything and just tried not to laugh as we passed him. What's the proper response in that situation?

Teach him about the "dickey do disease"

Snip the tip of the pacifier and then do it every few days until the hole gets bigger.

The "mimi" as we called it will lose suction and the child will no longer be interested in it after about a week.

Worked like a charm for us.

Snip the tip of the pacifier and then do it every few days until the hole gets bigger.

The "mimi" as we called it will lose suction and the child will no longer be interested in it after about a week.

Worked like a charm for us.

we never used a paci, but this is a tremendous tip.

What age did y'all start to ween your kids off the pacifier?

My wife is a dentist, so she was insistent that he be off of it by 8 months.
Why 8 months? Is that when he started to teeth or just what she knew from her background? Does it matter if they are starting to teeth or not?

Why 8 months? Is that when he started to teeth or just what she knew from her background? Does it matter if they are starting to teeth or not?

the sucking can move them within the gums so they come in all jacked up- the teeth don't need to be in for this to happen.

eta: i know you know where teeth come from, just saying that's why i'd imagine you'd want to kick it sooner rather than later.

Yeah, as lbe said the pressure can malform the teeth before they come in. My wife would have preferred he not use the pacifier at all, but my sanity overruled that one. Whether from that or not, it is amazing how straight his teeth are compared to his friends that used the pacifier until 18 mos or 2 years.

Cool, thanks for the answers. My son is 4 months, so I don't think we are at the point of the pacifier being a problem yet, but the way time flies it will be here soon.

What worked for us on getting rid of the pacifier was to tell the girl that in a couple of days the tooth fairy was going to come and take her pacifiers to give them to another new baby that would need them. Then we threw them all away. When we got back from work/daycare later that day, we checked to see if the fairy had come and the pacifiers were all gone. She was amazed, so that worked pretty well.

My plan is to use magical fairies to explain everything that happens that the Peanut may not like. Santa doesn't want to hang out on Christmas morning? -- Christmas Fairy Dust makes him invisible to kids. Doesn't understand why he has to take a nap when he's not sleepy? The Sleep Fairy will bite his toes off if he doesn't. Can't have dessert until after vegetables? The Dessert Fairy poisons desserts that are eaten before vegetables are consumed. GENIUS.

my cousin's family dentist told her to always threaten her kids with the cavities monster or any other sort of imaginary creature, rather than threatening with the dentist himself, so that they wouldn't develop a phobia of going to the dentist.

my cousin's family dentist told her to always threaten her kids with the cavities monster or any other sort of imaginary creature, rather than threatening with the dentist himself, so that they wouldn't develop a phobia of going to the dentist.

Crest used to do that, too.

That was hilarious. The toothbrushes had me rolling.

We were lucky enough that both our kids slept through the night and never wanted a paci. My son was easy to potty train, but my daughter is being difficult and still struggling with her talking. She turned 3 December 1. We have her lined up with a speech therapist in a couple of weeks.

THe best parenting advice I ever got:

-Don't ever let your kids sleep with you in your bed unless its an extreme case.

-Ignore pretty much anyone that says their kids slept though the night right away or potty trained themsElves over lunch ETC., esp. if you are going through a tough time. First of all, this is just a cruel thing to say. Second, they are most likely full of crap.

-Read to your kids every night, even if its the last thing you want to do.

-Make your kids eat what you eat. This whole 2 meals thing is horrible.

-Don't ever let your kids sleep with you in your bed unless its an extreme case.

-Ignore pretty much anyone that says their kids slept though the night right away or potty trained themsElves over lunch ETC., esp. if you are going through a tough time. First of all, this is just a cruel thing to say. Second, they are most likely full of crap.

-Read to your kids every night, even if its the last thing you want to do.

-Make your kids eat what you eat. This whole 2 meals thing is horrible.

Solid advice.

Make your kids eat what you eat. This whole 2 meals thing is horrible.

We did this from the start (Baby Led Weaning FTW!) It has been awesome that he doesn't eat baby food, we only have to make one meal, he eats almost everything you put in front of him. Our food never got cold while we spoon fed him. We do a lot of hippie parenting stuff (babywearing, cloth diapers, etc) and this is the only one I tell everyone they should SOOOOO TRY.

The best parenting advice we got was to be flexible and to do what works for your family/your kid/you. We didn't want to do a paci/bedshare at all/CIO, etc but in the end, those were the best decisions for us and they've paid off (even if the munchkin did just put both his brand new stride rite shoes into the dog's water bowl and I am questioning who raised this imp)

Last edited:
We did this from the start (Baby Led Weaning FTW!) It has been awesome that he doesn't eat baby food, we only have to make one meal, he eats almost everything you put in front of him. Our food never got cold while we spoon fed him. We do a lot of hippie parenting stuff (babywearing, cloth diapers, etc) and this is the only one I tell everyone they should SOOOOO TRY.

The best parenting advice we got was to be flexible and to do what works for your family/your kid/you. We didn't want to do a paci/bedshare at all/CIO, etc but in the end, those were the best decisions for us and they've paid off (even if the munchkin did just put both his brand new stride rite shoes into the dogs water bowl and I am questioning who raised this imp)

My son thinks it is the best thing in the entire world to spill out the dog water bowl and then splash around in it. He makes a B Line to the water bowl as soon as he hits the ground.

Back