• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

So my younger daughter (8 and half) got asked to go to Chicago for four nights and five days with another family. She has never been away for that long. Yes or no? On one hand, why rob her of a memory. On the other, that is a long time for a little person. What say you quad?

I'd have no problem with my kid going, but that family is crazy, wanting to haul around another kid around Chicago for that long, unless they are bringing a nanny anyway or they think it will keep their own kid from being horrible. At least Chicago is easy as shit to traipse around, I suppose.

August was on the short list for my son because it was my grandpa's name and I am super German. But the actual name is mediocre, Augie is lame, and Gus is good, though it sounds hickish.

I'd have no problem with my kid going, but that family is crazy, wanting to haul around another kid around Chicago for that long, unless they are bringing a nanny anyway or they think it will keep their own kid from being horrible. At least Chicago is easy as shit to traipse around, I suppose.

They are going for a soccer tournament for their eldest daughter and it is the birthday of the kid my daughter was invited by. We dont know them that well, but they are a real solid family. I am leaning toward yes. The thing is, we would def say yes for our older daughter who is much more independent.

Shit, how could I forget, the all-time HOF baby name: Rogue.

Also a Gunnar.

Last edited:
Ha there's a kid named Rouge at the kindergarden here. :rulz:

There's a Beckett too :sick:

turrible.png

This is an excerpt from my friend's blog, I think these are hilarious:

"My kiddo has a wild imagination and I have no idea where he gets half the stuff he comes up with. I have been tracking some of the excuses for prolonging bedtime for awhile. The following are actual reasons my 3 year old has told me he can't go to bed/fall asleep/release me from parent prison.

1. A hammerhead shark has horrible headaches and he is worried that he might somehow get a horrible headache someday like a hammerhead shark.

2. The President of Africa might call him. Apparently they have a very serious situation in Africa regarding Emus. He won't expand. I am not curious. He must wait up for call.

3. He doesn't remember if he went pee pee in the potty all day. Seems to be stressing him out. Remind him of several times including a time when he almost fell in at Target. Begins to get more frustrated that I remember and he does not. Situation escalates.

4. His brother started to tell him a joke at dinner and he didn't get to finish it because I interrupted. His brother currently speaks 4 words, 5 if you count "du." None of these words are jokes.

5. There are witches in his closet making banana bread and the mixer is keeping him up. Also they are cackling, but he doesn't mind that so much.

6. He forgot to eat the last bite of cereal this morning. I explain that cereal has been thrown away and he will never be able to eat that last bite. This does not go over well. Up 40 more minutes.

7. He wants to know why Jesus wears a crown in some pictures and in some pictures he does not. Also, he wants to know why we can't go to Australia tomorrow. I tell him all I can offer is to read Where's Waldo. He accepts.

8. He tells me he has to fart but it won't come out. He asks me how many times a day I fart. I tell him mommies don't fart. He laughs. And says that lying is bad.

9. He can't fall asleep because my hair is in his face. At this time I am standing in the doorway. I ask him how my hair could be in his face if I am nowhere near him. He cries. Takes 30 more minutes to go to sleep.

10. He is upset and cannot fall asleep because he is not sure if he is good at "baskaballs." He is not good at basketball. Not today anyway.

11. He needs one more minute. 17,456 times.

12. He can't fall asleep because Zebras came into his room and spilled all his toys.

13. Dad is better at putting him to bed because boys have willies and they know how to go to bed. Why don't girls have willies?

14. He is worried about sharks in the ocean and how they go to the dentist and brush their teeth. He does accept the idea of an ocean dentist, and seems to begin to question everything I have ever told him. He is on to me.

So my fellow moms, go into your night time routines prepared. Load your arsenal of explanations, your last iotas of patience, and unload the last half hugs you have left in your body. Your children will come at you like spider monkeys with excuses why they can't just shut their GD eyes. You have to come back at them like spider monkey moms, wielding answers and discipline like you have been anticipating these questions since your birth. Don't look weak. They can smell that ya know. Your alone time is so very close, and your Breaking Bad series and chocolate doves are waiting for you."

So my younger daughter (8 and half) got asked to go to Chicago for four nights and five days with another family. She has never been away for that long. Yes or no? On one hand, why rob her of a memory. On the other, that is a long time for a little person. What say you quad?

We took a friend for our 9 year old to the beach with us this year. He had fun, but got homesick and ended up going home on Thursday (mom was nearby visiting relatives anyway).

I think if your daughter is up for it, it would be a cool trip. Make sure she takes time to call every night.

We took a friend for our 9 year old to the beach with us this year. He had fun, but got homesick and ended up going home on Thursday (mom was nearby visiting relatives anyway).

I think if your daughter is up for it, it would be a cool trip. Make sure she takes time to call every night.

Better than calling, do facetime or skype.

Make sure she takes time to call every night.

In my camp experience, this usually makes home sickness worse. The best practice is to keep the kid focused on upcoming activities they can get excited about. When they are distracted, they really don't think too much about home this is probably more difficult to do in a family beach vacation scenario.

Yeah, I laughed at a bunch. I somewhat fear the toddler tantrum and craziness age, but I also kind of can't wait til the Bug can talk and says crazy things. Kids have the best imaginations.

A friend of mine is a huge tOSU fan and named his kid Tressel, before he got ousted. Another friend is a huge Carolina fan and just named his new baby Carter Jamison Smith, with the comment that when he walks into the Dean Dome he will see all 3 of his names hanging.

Yeah, I laughed at a bunch. I somewhat fear the toddler tantrum and craziness age, but I also kind of can't wait til the Bug can talk and says crazy things. Kids have the best imaginations.

The not wanting to go to bed thing never ends, sadly. I have become quite the disciplinarian getting a 6 and (almost)8 year old to go to bed. I'm full military style, a trait I picked up from my dad.

But to soften a little lately I have promised to do a MadLib or two with them in their jammies and that is working. For now. I saw some at a thrift store and bought them and the kids eat them up. I told them they can use words like stinky and poop and smelly and they love it.

This is an excerpt from my friend's blog, I think these are hilarious:

In my own personal hell, Mommy blogs are read to me 24 hours a day in a screeching high-pitched voice.
While at a middle school dance.

Back