• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Your aunt sounds like she led a ripping life. How old was she? She made it to great aunt smoking 3 packs a day? fuckin rock star, I love her.

At least 70 ... 75 maybe? She (really my uncle who had been a Customs agent for decades, but she lived in the same house) was actually an intended victim of the Unibomber, but he got the address wrong and sent it to my other great aunt who opened the package and the bomb went off. Blew out half of her stomach but she lived another 10 years or so until she was maybe 85 (and who had also sucked down cigs for decades). They just don't make them like that any more.

At least 70 ... 75 maybe? She (really my uncle who had been a Customs agent for decades, but she lived in the same house) was actually an intended victim of the Unibomber, but he got the address wrong and sent it to my other great aunt who opened the package and the bomb went off. Blew out half of her stomach but she lived another 10 years or so until she was maybe 85 (and who had also sucked down cigs for decades). They just don't make them like that any more.

post-24030-Mark-Wahlberg-confused-gif-Img-Bi1v.gif

wow

The wife of one of my buddies was all about some sort of *aiden type name and he really wanted Henry. He told her in 500 years people will still be named Henry and no one will be named *aiden. They ended up going with a different name altogether but he felt good that he avoided a lame trend name.

aw, i kind of love the older names coming back.
henry/hank is a current favorite of mine.

I like the name Walt in itself, but I kind of hate the trend of old man names (for our generation) becoming popular. Unless you're British, pass on Jude. Blame the song and Jude Law.

I'm also a little down on old man names but I love the name Henry.

aw, i kind of love the older names coming back.
henry/hank is a current favorite of mine.

One of our family friends in the neighborhood (the kid was born the same day as the Bug) is named Warren. Named after Earl Warren. And he has looked like a little old man his whole life (14 months), so it's actually quite fitting.

10291852_10100149875914333_6603818850854119222_n.jpg

I also know literally 3 Henry's under 2 years old within my neighborhood.

The wife of one of my buddies was all about some sort of *aiden type name and he really wanted Henry. He told her in 500 years people will still be named Henry and no one will be named *aiden. They ended up going with a different name altogether but he felt good that he avoided a lame trend name.

Raiden is a pretty classic name.

mkla0089.png

There's nothing explicitly wrong with Henry, other than everyone liking it at the same time. It's old timey, but not THAT old timey, unless you call him Hank.

Part of the problem I have with the old person names is that it's part of the hipster trends of ironic "old-ness," that you see in signage for hipster businesses or clothes or whatever. We used to make fun of girls named Grace, Rose, Beatrix, Esther, Walter, and Warren for having old-ass names, now it's cute. And everyone thinks that at the same time that the hip looks to the past are popular.

But at least they are actual names, and are hopefully spelled normally. That's a big step up from Jadyn, Achleygh, and Cauy.

i never thought of Grace as an old-person name... just very southern.

There's nothing explicitly wrong with Henry, other than everyone liking it at the same time. It's old timey, but not THAT old timey, unless you call him Hank.

Part of the problem I have with the old person names is that it's part of the hipster trends of ironic "old-ness," that you see in signage for hipster businesses or clothes or whatever. We used to make fun of girls named Grace, Rose, Beatrix, Esther, Walter, and Warren for having old-ass names, now it's cute. And everyone thinks that at the same time that the hip looks to the past are popular.

But at least they are actual names, and are hopefully spelled normally. That's a big step up from Jadyn, Achleygh, and Cauy.

I see what you are saying. Perhaps once in a while trends are actually good. Blind squirrel and all...

My wife wanted to name our son Henry. I felt it destined him to be a fat little boy with glasses. We named him James. He does have glasses but he's not fat.

How much of it is "hipster-ness" and how much is it people honoring their grandparents or other older relatives? Both of my boys' middle names are after our dads' oldest brothers.

How much of it is "hipster-ness" and how much is it people honoring their grandparents or other older relatives? Both of my boys' middle names are after our dads' oldest brothers.

I think that's a fair part of it too. But are kids now being named after family now more than ever? Why does the "old person name" seem trendier than ever?

It's an interesting trend, but as wakeandbake said, trends aren't always a bad thing. When people go super-old for no reason, it's kind of stupid, but on the whole, it's a step in the right direction.

all better than the -aiden/-ayden/-axton.

I think that's a fair part of it too. But are kids now being named after family now more than ever? Why does the "old person name" seem trendier than ever?

It's an interesting trend, but as wakeandbake said, trends aren't always a bad thing. When people go super-old for no reason, it's kind of stupid, but on the whole, it's a step in the right direction.

Aren't we coming full circle? Didn't the maps posted earlier on this thread or on another thread show that names are cyclical?

Back