• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

The best parenting advice we got was to be flexible and to do what works for your family/your kid/you. We didn't want to do a paci/bedshare at all/CIO, etc but in the end, those were the best decisions for us and they've paid off (even if the munchkin did just put both his brand new stride rite shoes into the dog's water bowl and I am questioning who raised this imp)

This exactly. Anyone who tells you that method A WILL work and you MUST do thing B is a dummy. Kids and families are wayyyyy too different. As long as the kid is happy and healthy, do what you gotta do.

The bedsharing thing is totally not for us, for example. Some people swear by it, but there's just no way it would happen with me. The idea of a 2-5 year old possibly having to be weaned off of sleeping in my bed is basically a nightmare for me. I need my boundaries way too much. But if it works for you and your kid and the kid is healthy and happy, WGAF.

Doing the one meal thing has worked well for us, for sure. This is the primary reason the kid loves carrots, guacamole, salmon, etc. He knew he wasn't getting anything else to eat, so he had to give them a try, and lo and behold, he loves that type of shit. But it does require some patience on the parents' parts.

if your kids always eat what you're eating, does that mean that you just don't generally have spicy foods? or do your kids actually eat spicy foods? i've always had that question.

we had birdie in her crib in her own room from the first night home onward. she was really quick to start sleeping through the night and has been a champion sleeper ever since (although the last couple weeks have really blown).

My son thinks it is the best thing in the entire world to spill out the dog water bowl and then splash around in it. He makes a B Line to the water bowl as soon as he hits the ground.

We had to move our dogs' water bowl into another room, 'cause the Peanut liked playing in it so much. Right now he's in a phase where he loves opening every drawer and cabinet and pulling out the contents and/or putting stuff in there.

if your kids always eat what you're eating, does that mean that you just don't generally have spicy foods? or do your kids actually eat spicy foods? i've always had that question.

Little bit of both.

Like if we're cooking chicken wings, we'll leave a few without the wing sauce, cayenne, etc. But if we're doing tacos, he gets the chicken that was cooked in the taco sauce. For some things, you can kind of take out a small portion before you add too much of the seasoning. Or if we're having something where that isn't possible and we think it would be too spicy for him, he just gets leftovers.

Little bit of both.

Like if we're cooking chicken wings, we'll leave a few without the wing sauce, cayenne, etc. But if we're doing tacos, he gets the chicken that was cooked in the taco sauce. For some things, you can kind of take out a small portion before you add too much of the seasoning. Or if we're having something where that isn't possible and we think it would be too spicy for him, he just gets leftovers.

same in our house.

we had birdie in her crib in her own room from the first night home onward. she was really quick to start sleeping through the night and has been a champion sleeper ever since (although the last couple weeks havereally blown).[/ QUOTE]

:rofl:

Hmm I didn't know that was a thing. So your kids never got like a jar of mushy peas from Gerber? Just chicken wings, salmon and tacos right away? Do you put it in a blender? Or this is after the baby food stage?

Little bit of both.

got it. i know i don't have kids yet, but most of my cousins do, so i've been around kids a LOT for around the last 8 or 9 years, and i've thought a lot about it. and i definitely love the "feed them what you're eating" thing. one of my cousins really has kids that subsist nearly entirely on chicken nuggets, and the idea of raising kids that eat processed crap like that every.single.day. is totally not for me. but i definitely eat a decent amount of spicy stuff, and i've always wondered how to handle that.

we did gerber fruit and veggie things for about 6-8 months, but as soon as she could reasonably chew and eat grown-up food, we pretty much just fed her what we were having. we'd buy some of the heat-up meals to serve when we weren't eating something that would be appropriate for her but haven't used any of those in forever. sometimes if we're just doing something really simple (sandwich night) we'll treat her and hook it up with some easy mac. she crushes that shit like it's her j-o-b.

Hmm I didn't know that was a thing. So your kids never got like a jar of mushy peas from Gerber? Just chicken wings, salmon and tacos right away? Do you put it in a blender? Or this is after the baby food stage?

Nope no baby food and no blender- chicken wings, salmon and tacos right away. You have to wait to introduce solids until they are at least 6 months and showing signs of interest, you also have to be comfortable with them getting the bulk of their nutrition from breastmilk or formula and using solids to "explore". There are a lot of reasons to do it (lets them control how much they eat, learn about textures and tastes right away, has been shown to decrease incidence of childhood obesity, they learn how to push food around in their mouth and how to get it out if they don't want it there. They learn they need to chew before they swallow, etc.) and it's not for everyone (sometimes letting your kid gag is scary - though he only did that a few times and you bear in mind that gagging isn't choking) but it has been the best thing we have done.

The book is very informative and again, I did a lot of research, but anyone at a tailgate can attest to the fact that E can put down some food. Kid eats like crazy.

just as an FYI to new parents, we used a book called babywise to help with scheduling and it worked really well. can't overemphasize the importance of setting up a reliable schedule for the baby.

With our 9 mnth old, he has been eating the baby foods for a few months and we are have been mixing in meat, veg, fruit, etc solids the last month or so. He loves his baby foods, but I agree with Chic that solids are good and help control portion. He is an eater and will crush two baby foods a sitting. Those things are $1.50 each (for the organics) so that is $9 a day plus formula. That ish is getting old. So, we are now only giving him one of those per meal along with a banana, veg, meat, bread, or whatever we are having. Kid took down a whole turkey dog the other day with two teeth. Our major concern is choking. Since he only has the two bottom teeth, he pushed it around in his mouth, but wants another piece before he swallows that one, so we have to watch him. He is a mess though. Our dog leaves by his high chair.

I personally enjoy the challenge of seeing if I can get the food off the floor before the dog gets to it.

Did you say what book? This one?

yes, that one (there is a recipe book too that has a fair amount of info and a website).

E teethed early but I know babies who had no teeth at 12 months who did blw and could still eat fine (their gums are really pretty strong with the teeth underneath) so they don't need teeth to do it. And again, until 12 months, you are still nursing on demand/giving bottles so they are only using mealtimes to learn about solids.

Back