• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

So, my wife and I have started reading Encyclopedia Brown with my 7 year old daughter before bed. We alternate reading nights, and I came downstairs after her bedtime to give the report to my wife. I told her that I was impressed as she had figured out how the robber had hid the money, though she couldn't figure out what tipped Encyclopedia off. I asked how she had been doing when my wife was reading with her, and she said that last night it was really tough and neither of them knew. It was something about a civil war sword being fake... I then interrupted with "Oh, the one with the 'first battle of Bull Run' and how they wouldn't have actually put 'first' on it." My wife silently gave me that look for a minute and asked when the last time I had read Encyclopedia Brown was. I told her I thought I read it the first time when I was 7, but most recently around 10, probably. She then said, "So, you are telling me that there is a part of your brain that has kept the answer to an Encyclopedia Brown story for 26 years for you to instantly bring up as needed?" I said, "Yeah. Impressed?" She shook her head and went back to checking her e-mail.

I distinctly remember one where he figures out that a guy is not actually a sailor because he says "knots per hour." Memories are weird.

redwing, I'm sure your wife has some Sweet Valley High plots stuck in her head. She needs to stop hatin'.

I remember an Encyclopedia Brown in which the clue was a word with three straight sets of double letters and the answer was "bookkeeper".

Ah- the bull run story was one of my favorites. That's awesome.

Ah- the bull run story was one of my favorites. That's awesome.

Yeah, I remember that one. The other ones tat pop in my head are the cross dressed robbers in the restaurant and they kid with the broken are who bugs hid loot with.

So, my wife and I have started reading Encyclopedia Brown with my 7 year old daughter before bed. We alternate reading nights, and I came downstairs after her bedtime to give the report to my wife. I told her that I was impressed as she had figured out how the robber had hid the money, though she couldn't figure out what tipped Encyclopedia off. I asked how she had been doing when my wife was reading with her, and she said that last night it was really tough and neither of them knew. It was something about a civil war sword being fake... I then interrupted with "Oh, the one with the 'first battle of Bull Run' and how they wouldn't have actually put 'first' on it." My wife silently gave me that look for a minute and asked when the last time I had read Encyclopedia Brown was. I told her I thought I read it the first time when I was 7, but most recently around 10, probably. She then said, "So, you are telling me that there is a part of your brain that has kept the answer to an Encyclopedia Brown story for 26 years for you to instantly bring up as needed?" I said, "Yeah. Impressed?" She shook her head and went back to checking her e-mail.

Similar thing happens with me and my wife.

So Prince William and Kate got married like 3 months after we did and her dress somewhat resembled mine (neckline at least). Then they had George like 2 months after we had the Bug. So now that she's preggers again our parents are all like, wait, shouldn't you be having a second now too?

Nope nope nope.

Maybe if we had tons o money and nannies on call. Dat daycare or two kids? Ouch.

How do you all not have time to cook?

My 7 year old has discovered the TV show Mr. Ed and she loves it. I think we'll work on Gilligan's Island next. Anything but Dog with a Blog.

I kind of want to just be a nanny and start a nannyshare. The cost of daycare + thinking about leaving squirrel at daycare makes me want to vomit on myself.

We pay like 1400/mo for daycare. It's ridic.

Back