Page 7 of 328 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757107 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 6555

Thread: The Pit Parenting Thread

  1. #121
    may have to listen to the first tag (drunk babies sleep well) if birdie doesn't figure this sleeping thing back out. i don't know if it is night terrors but she's just waking up screaming and getting out of the bed and turning on the lights several times a night since christmas. my wife and i decided to try and do everything we could to let her CIO but she's just so damn freaked out. last night around 11, i opened the door to tell her to go back to bed and she wrapped up my legs ray lewis style and just clung on. i pried her off and calmly told her that she needed to go back to sleep and shut the door. about 2 minutes later, she got it open and ran a 4.3 down the hallway screaming for me. rinse, repeat around 2 (wifey's turn) and 4 (me again). i'm exhausted today.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Before going to bed tonight, 3.5 year old LJF told my wife that he wanted to go to the farm to see them milk the cows and to see the animals and play in the hay and see the dog. He's talking about a dairy farm we went to about a year ago.

    It's amazing how good of a memory he has.
    we say the same thing all the time. it's really remarkable what they remember.

  3. #123
    OGBoards Chaplain
    RevDeac06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    2,601
    Ugh, last night was rough. Got a large coffee, hopefully that gets me through the day.

  4. #124
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,763
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoneydeac View Post
    may have to listen to the first tag (drunk babies sleep well) if birdie doesn't figure this sleeping thing back out. i don't know if it is night terrors but she's just waking up screaming and getting out of the bed and turning on the lights several times a night since christmas. my wife and i decided to try and do everything we could to let her CIO but she's just so damn freaked out. last night around 11, i opened the door to tell her to go back to bed and she wrapped up my legs ray lewis style and just clung on. i pried her off and calmly told her that she needed to go back to sleep and shut the door. about 2 minutes later, she got it open and ran a 4.3 down the hallway screaming for me. rinse, repeat around 2 (wifey's turn) and 4 (me again). i'm exhausted today.
    Not a parent, but it sounds like she is getting attention. This is going to sound horrible, but have you tried locking her door from the outside?

  5. #125
    I think one of the most difficult things in parenting is figuring out when your kid is just acting out for attention (they don't want to be alone or sleep) or when they legitimately need to be comforted (sick, bad dream, etc.)

  6. #126
    That said, E slept from 8:15 last night to 7:15 this morning with one slight wake-up at about 11:30 that lasted a couple of minutes. Never forget the good nights!

  7. #127
    Carnal Decadence
    HeavyPetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    13,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    Not a parent, but it sounds like she is getting attention. This is going to sound horrible, but have you tried locking her door from the outside?
    What if her room catches fire in the middle of the night?

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    Not a parent, but it sounds like she is getting attention. This is going to sound horrible, but have you tried locking her door from the outside?
    not horrible at all. lock that damn door.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    not horrible at all. lock that damn door.
    Yep, did that just last night. And I took the bulbs out of all of the lights in the room except the nightlight (note that he is not afraid of the dark, he just turns the lights on so he can play).

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by 2&2 Slider To Leyritz View Post
    Yep, did that just last night. And I took the bulbs out of all of the lights in the room except the nightlight (note that he is not afraid of the dark, he just turns the lights on so he can play).
    It would be easier just to strap the kid to the bed and stuff a gag in his/her mouth.

  11. #131
    Carnal Decadence
    HeavyPetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    13,015
    Seems like a pretty good reason not to lock a door from the outside.

  12. #132
    Ricky Peral
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Dash
    Posts
    560
    Tell her you will spank her if she gets up again. Then do it, if she gets up again. And the next time, if necessary. Not hard, of course. You will not need to lock the door.

  13. #133
    you only lock it during the "you've put me to bed and i'm not tired at all so i want to play until midnight but if i don't play i will be asleep within 4 minutes" time.

    obviously the door gets unlocked when the parents go to bed.

  14. #134
    My dad just hung his belt on the outside of my door. Real talk.

  15. #135
    Ricky Peral
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Dash
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouthDeacon View Post
    My dad just hung his belt on the outside of my door. Real talk.
    No belt-spanking, please.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by mmedeac View Post
    No belt-spanking, please.
    I would never consider using a belt on my kids. Does not mean I did not get the buckle a time or to myself though.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    you only lock it during the "you've put me to bed and i'm not tired at all so i want to play until midnight but if i don't play i will be asleep within 4 minutes" time.

    obviously the door gets unlocked when the parents go to bed.
    do you see anything wrong with putting one of those knob covers on the door so she can't open it in the middle of the night? i honestly think it is riskier to give her free reign of the house than it is to have her unable to leave her room. we have a smoke detector in her room. her room is adjacent to ours so we would get to it within a couple of seconds of the alarm going off.

  18. #138

  19. #139
    taking parenting advice from milhouse. the internet has reached it's new all time low.

  20. #140
    The only thing missing from this thread is Ted Bundy's parents chiming in with some helpful advice (and that was NOT a jab at milhouse).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •