• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Summer birthday recipe, option A:
2 hours.
8-10 elementary schoolers.
A ton of water balloons.
A piñata.
Cake and ice cream.
The end.

Option B, the sleepover:
3-4 elementary schoolers.
Pizza dinner.
Cake and ice cream.
Movie selection.
A room with a door you can close at "bedtime."
Pancake breakfast, pickup at 9:00.

I’d choose option B with 4 (3kids for a sleepover in elementary school doesn’t often work out well). It’s actually less work. Unless you get the crazy fill 25 balloons at the same time and don’t have to tie them off nozzle, I’ve found that for every minute of water ballon fun, there’s 10 minutes of filling (and picking up pieces for the next 2 weeks from the yard).

I’d only choose option A if the parents of the kids are cool too and it’s a fun hangout together.

I’d choose option B with 4 (3kids for a sleepover in elementary school doesn’t often work out well). It’s actually less work. Unless you get the crazy fill 25 balloons at the same time and don’t have to tie them off nozzle, I’ve found that for every minute of water ballon fun, there’s 10 minutes of filling (and picking up pieces for the next 2 weeks from the yard).

I’d only choose option A if the parents of the kids are cool too and it’s a fun hangout together.

Agreed on 4 kids total being better than three, I was thinking 3-4 guests.
We absolutely get the packages that fill up 25-50 balloons at a time, there is no going back. Picking up the pieces... yeah, that's a thing/PITA.
With both options here, no parents have to stay- that's the beauty of it for everyone. The herd of kids occupies itself in Option A, and obviously parents aren't staying in Option B.

Summer birthday recipe, option A:
2 hours.
8-10 elementary schoolers.
A ton of water balloons.
A piñata.
Cake and ice cream.
The end.

Option B, the sleepover:
3-4 elementary schoolers.
Pizza dinner.
Cake and ice cream.
Movie selection.
A room with a door you can close at "bedtime."
Pancake breakfast, pickup at 9:00.

Did both yesterday.

10 year old birthday party for 9 kids from entering 2nd grade to entering 7 grade. Party from 4-9 then 7 kid turned 6 kid sleepover. They mostly entertained themselves. Did water balloons. There were a few fights to break up. My son stayed up until 5:30 and he was mad everyone else went to sleep.

Funny story about the Bunch o Balloons. We were at the university engineering expo. There was a water balloon slingshot and the college kids were using a pump to dispenser water into the balloons and tying them by hand. I told them about Bunch o Balloons and you’d think I was telling them they could by jet packs at Walmart. They were blown away.

Funny story about the Bunch o Balloons. We were at the university engineering expo. There was a water balloon slingshot and the college kids were using a pump to dispenser water into the balloons and tying them by hand. I told them about Bunch o Balloons and you’d think I was telling them they could by jet packs at Walmart. They were blown away.

Pretty sure this belongs on the college is a waste of money thread.

The bunch o balloons easy fill things are AMAZING. 100% no going back. I refuse to ever tie another balloon in my life.

Pick up is a bitch though. We’ve tried to make it a game for the kids to see who can pick up the most pieces. So far you can trick 6 and unders into cleaning up.

We are going through the adoption process right now, and the social worker sent us a draft of her home visit report to review for factual errors. I found a couple, including one of the most disgusting and egregious things ever written about me: that what my wife described as the most romantic thing that's ever happened to her is when I proposed to her on the Duke University Quad.

We are going through the adoption process right now, and the social worker sent us a draft of her home visit report to review for factual errors. I found a couple, including one of the most disgusting and egregious things ever written about me: that what my wife described as the most romantic thing that's ever happened to her is when I proposed to her on the Duke University Quad.

I hope the social worker screwed that up and not your wife.

I hope the social worker screwed that up and not your wife.

so his wife described the most romantic proposal she's ever gotten. Big deal. He should have tried harder. He's lucky she said yes to a substandard effort.

jeez tough crowd. figured we could all appreciate some duke hate.
Just arrived for the duke hate. That's a disgusting story. What kind of demented mind must this social worker have to have concocted that.

My four year old girl just handed me a ziplock bag full of her own piss that she for some reason collected in her room. Didn’t spill a drop. I’m mortified, but also kinda impressed.

My four year old girl just handed me a ziplock bag full of her own piss that she for some reason collected in her room. Didn’t spill a drop. I’m mortified, but also kinda impressed.

Lol check her room again

:rofl:
Sometimes I wonder if PM and I screwed up by thinking having another kid is a good idea. Both of his kids can definitely wipe themselves, and they're definitely not pissing in bags... and yet 15 weeks from now we're voluntarily back to wiping butts with the chance kiddo will be a bag-pissing weirdo.

My 4 year old watched 15 minutes of a YouTube video of someone opening kinder eggs, and then screamed like she was murdered when I turned it off. Between that and that little Ryan shit who is a chubby walking Walmart commercial, YouTube is about to be banned in my household.

My 4 year old watched 15 minutes of a YouTube video of someone opening kinder eggs, and then screamed like she was murdered when I turned it off. Between that and that little Ryan shit who is a chubby walking Walmart commercial, YouTube is about to be banned in my household.

Yeah, that was an early ban for us when I saw my daughter just watching videos of other kids playing.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

YouTube only seems to work for my kids if I'm there watching/choosing the videos with them... Which goes against the point of letting them play with an iPad to begin with.

Instead, I just let them play games that are realistically targeted to kids twice their age... But I'm more OK with that.

my daughter is allowed to watch youtube only when mom or I pull up specific videos to show her, usually when she asks how something works or what X looks like.

otherwise it's netflix kids shows or the PBS kids app

Which shows are your kids into these days? I was pumped to see PBS has a deal with youtube TV because my daughter who turned 2 in May is obsessed with Daniel Tiger at the moment and there are only like 4 episodes on the PBS kids app.

Had to add parental controls on Netflix to keep the 13-year old girl from watching Orange Is The New Black.

Which shows are your kids into these days? I was pumped to see PBS has a deal with youtube TV because my daughter who turned 2 in May is obsessed with Daniel Tiger at the moment and there are only like 4 episodes on the PBS kids app.

It changes so quickly these days because there are so many options. They are spoiled by streaming, where as I was pretty much forced to watch whatever was on TV back in my youth.

My 5 year old really likes American Ninja Warrior. My Little Pony rates pretty high, as well. But mostly she just reads now.

Honestly, if you name it, my 5 & 3 year daughters have probably seen it. I'm interested to see what happens w/ my son (almost 1)... Have to think he'll want to watch some different stuff.

Back