• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

sounds like you're raising him right/the way Superman deals with problems. Use only the force necessary to win, or in this case not lose. Your kid was smart enough to know that fighting actually means getting the worse end of the deal?

Some Sun Tzu shit going on right now and you're worried he didn't "win" a fight.

Doesn't sound like he feels his masculinity was damaged.

sounds like you're raising him right/the way Superman deals with problems. Use only the force necessary to win, or in this case not lose. Your kid was smart enough to know that fighting actually means getting the worse end of the deal?

Some Sun Tzu shit going on right now and you're worried he didn't "win" a fight.

Doesn't sound like he feels his masculinity was damaged.

No, I'm not worried about this incident at all and agree that he handled it the right way. Little O'Doyle wasn't going to hurt him. What I'm worried about is a few years down the road when the other kid can hurt him and he is inclined to stand there and take it because he is expecting a teacher who isn't there to intervene.

ITCs post seems reasonable. I’m gonna push back on that inclination being the way it was handled when you were a kid. That sounds like a movie. I’m not sure what the exact answer is but I doubt you’d be ok with your super athletic 10 year old beating up some 6 year old baby.

FWIW, ITC is a 16 seed. I don’t think he’s the best person to give advice on fisticuffs. Ask timdunkandthefunk or Hoosier how to handle it.

As a girl dad I think I’ll much prefer this kind of problem than the psychological warfare I have headed my way in the future.

ITCs post seems reasonable. I’m gonna push back on that inclination being the way it was handled when you were a kid. That sounds like a movie. I’m not sure what the exact answer is but I doubt you’d be ok with your super athletic 10 year old beating up some 6 year old baby.

Not a full beatdown, no. But a shove into the wall or similar wouldn't be objectionable. And then go kick his older brother's ass or at least put the fear of God into him.

Seems a key point about 2&2s mini me is the response that your had. It did not hurt. I knew I would get in trouble. I made the choice not to retaliate. Question becomes what if it did hurt? Would he go all spider monkey? Shock and awe? Provide an appropriate amount of physical response to protect himself and end the situation?

Seems a key point about 2&2s mini me is the response that your had. It did not hurt. I knew I would get in trouble. I made the choice not to retaliate. Question becomes what if it did hurt? Would he go all spider monkey? Shock and awe? Provide an appropriate amount of physical response to protect himself and end the situation?

That's the key - in the school's eyes no amount of physical response is appropriate. But in my mind there is, and in general society's mind there is given self-defense laws (not turning this into a stand your ground or other political debate, just the general premise that if someone physically attacks you unprovoked then you have the right to use physical force to get yourself out of the situation). So do you tell the kid that the school is correct and never hit back, or do you tell him that if it hurts and he is fearful for his safety then it is okay to hit back to protect himself?

I guess I am inclined to say something like "protect yourself from getting hurt but don't overdo it." I'd rather deal with the school and their inability to handle a kid that's now had 3 fairly significant issues with other students than take my kid for an ER visit.

it's a tough situation

what should a school policy be for self protection?

The school has zero tolerance policy simply because they don't want to get sued, and this way they can suspend everyone involved and not have to worry about discrimination and other claims that would arise if they tried to pick an at-fault person. So I understand why it is their policy. But just because it may be the best policy for the school as an institution doesn't mean it is the best policy for the kids to learn in life.

A school's policy should conform to general self defense laws that would apply to anyone, including the students, outside of a school setting. But that isn't going to happen in today's litigious society, so there is a disconnect between the school's policy and what they probably should be teaching the kids. So the parents are pretty much forced to pick a side.

Nugget is getting tubes in his ears Friday morning. Anything I need to be looking out for? He’s 16 months old.

those mornings when your 4 yr old is being a whiny little shit and you feel like your kid is the only one who sucks

My 10 yo threw a crazy tantrum out of nowhere about breakfast. She went to school hungry.

I yelled at my middle schoolers this weekend just to keep them on their toes.

Anybody have a brilliant idea to prep a naturally anxious 2.5 YO for his first haircut?

Anybody have a brilliant idea to prep a naturally anxious 2.5 YO for his first haircut?

Not sure you can prep in advance, but if you go to a kidsnips kind of place that has movies and lollipops it definitely helps. My kids were all cool with their first haircuts, but some kids freak the fuck out. It'll be a good litmus test for how cool your kid is. Let us know.

Back