• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

We’re putting the 3 year old in a bed for the first time tonight. Wish us luck.

She stayed in bed the whole night - I'm shocked, really.

Nice!

Seems like she's like my daughter. She never tried climbing out of her crib, and was always pretty chill about going to bed and waking up (still is). In fact, when we converted to a toddler bed (just over 2.5) and then to a bunk bed (just before 3), she wouldn't get out of bed by herself and would still call for us to get her up. Today she's still a great sleeper at 5 and isn't one to stall bedtime, get up and out of bed multiple times, etc.

The two year old on the other hand....oof. He's a nightmare. Started climbing out at like 2 and 3 months so he's in a toddler bed now. He basically doesn't want to nap anymore, and when he does take a nap, he's up til like 9:30/10 talking in his bed and throwing his animals and blankets all around. On Saturday at naptime he took his pants and diaper off and peed in his bed (not the first time he's done that - it's why he now wears a onesie under his PJs to bed...just hadn't done it at nap time before). On Sunday at naptime he took his Ok to Wake clock off the dresser and managed to turn the alarm on so that it went off both during naptime and again at 7am this morning.

Mrs Tim and I need to write wills and appoint guardians in the event something happens to us. We have some family options (our siblings) and non-family options (really close friends). All are roughly our age and are parents of kids roughly our kids' ages, who are either cousins or friends of our kids. Both of the family options are fine, but the friends know us and our kids better and have more similar parenting styles. Anyone have any insight or advice on selecting guardians, especially picking non-family when there are good or suitable family options?

Mrs Tim and I need to write wills and appoint guardians in the event something happens to us. We have some family options (our siblings) and non-family options (really close friends). All are roughly our age and are parents of kids roughly our kids' ages, who are either cousins or friends of our kids. Both of the family options are fine, but the friends know us and our kids better and have more similar parenting styles. Anyone have any insight or advice on selecting guardians, especially picking non-family when there are good or suitable family options?

My kids are 12 and 10. When they were 3 and 1 we set up guardianship with my, now, exwife's best friend and her husband who we matched with philosophically, religiously, etc., instead of my sister. 9 years later that couple is divorced, and I haven't spoken to them in a few years. Meanwhile my sister is still my sister.

Haha... We're dealing with this right now with my 2.5 year old. She shares a bedroom with her almost 5 year old sister. Just turned her crib into a day-bed looking thing (took the front off of her crib, but she has a rail).

It's pandemonium in there every night at bedtime now. As soon as I leave, they are both running around and screaming. Until one of them gets hurt. I keep threatening to put the front of the 2.5 year old's crib back on, but it would take like 20 minutes and I don't feel like it.

Meh, she'll adjust. At some point.

I put the front back on one of the girls' beds at 4am once.

Haha... We're dealing with this right now with my 2.5 year old. She shares a bedroom with her almost 5 year old sister. Just turned her crib into a day-bed looking thing (took the front off of her crib, but she has a rail).

It's pandemonium in there every night at bedtime now. As soon as I leave, they are both running around and screaming. Until one of them gets hurt. I keep threatening to put the front of the 2.5 year old's crib back on, but it would take like 20 minutes and I don't feel like it.

Meh, she'll adjust. At some point.

I put the front back on one of the girls' beds at 4am once.

We didn't convert the crib; just bought a toddler bed. I haven't taken the crib down quite yet; was going to wait a few more days because once I take it down, we're fairly committed to the bed.

my almost 1 year is a maniac and i can't imagine giving him the ability to leave his bed at night

my almost 1 year is a maniac and i can't imagine giving him the ability to leave his bed at night

Our first daughter (now almost 5) has been so easy to deal with her entire life that we just assumed they’d all be like that (and that we were great parents).

Nope!

Thanks for posting this.

Putting it back on tomorrow when I get back from being on the road.

Feels like giving up, but the 2.5 year old is a little asshole.

We waited until the girls were nearly 4 to take the side down. They were fine in the cribs and didn’t seem to mind. Once they asked, we changed it for them. Personally, we didn’t see the rush - but neither were climbers.

We waited until the girls were nearly 4 to take the side down. They were fine in the cribs and didn’t seem to mind. Once they asked, we changed it for them. Personally, we didn’t see the rush - but neither were climbers.

This was our approach; our 3 year old essentially outgrew the mini-crib she had been in so we had to do something. Plenty happy not to have rushed it; we had other friends that pushed and pushed to get the kid out of a crib and have lost a lot of sleep as a result of the kid not being a good sleeper, getting out constantly, etc. Definitely not something that needs to be rushed if you can help it, IMHO.

Unfortunately sometimes they make that decision for you

45497581_10101067906563553_8537353046856826880_n.jpg

Woke up this morning and my dude had taken his pants off and put them in one of his drawers (silently as we had the monitor on while he was "falling asleep" and did not hear him). But thankfully the onesie underneath stayed put, so no diaper off and no pee in the bed this time.

Ha! How tall is your little guy?

Mine is coming up on 33" and I think I read that at 35" babies can start crawling out

Ha! How tall is your little guy?

Mine is coming up on 33" and I think I read that at 35" babies can start crawling out

Good question. In early September he was 35" at his 2-year well visit (and he started climbing out in mid-November at 2 years and 2 months). So your fact may be correct!

Took my 4.5yo son and my 79yo mom out for dinner tonight, just the three of us. He was awesome - dealt with 20min wait for table, no high chair or booster, kept his shit together and crushed his dinner, said his pleases and thank yous and charmed his grandmother, came home and brushed his teeth and went to bed like a boss

Kinda hit me how fast he is growing up and this beautiful shit is passing by, gotta savor it before it’s over

Took my 4.5yo son and my 79yo mom out for dinner tonight, just the three of us. He was awesome - dealt with 20min wait for table, no high chair or booster, kept his shit together and crushed his dinner, said his pleases and thank yous and charmed his grandmother, came home and brushed his teeth and went to bed like a boss

Kinda hit me how fast he is growing up and this beautiful shit is passing by, gotta savor it before it’s over

man, from a toddler dad I know awesome that is

I kept waiting for the part where you said my 4 year old was awesome but my 79 year old mom caused all kinds of problems.

OMG, one of my HS friends posted pics yesterday of her son who had gotten into the Butt Paste during naptime and proceeded to smear it literally everywhere in his room, bathroom, on himself, into the rug, on the glider, in drawers, etc. The pics are AMAZING(ly horrifying)

52106814_10104734299867038_3265236225220411392_o.jpg

52382820_10104734299911948_6863510231821844480_o.jpg

And the kid is super proud of all his hard work.

So all these people are commenting, and this was my favorite:

This week, I couldn't figure out why our bedroom smelled so bad. I started with removing all of the dirty laundry, which included gross workout clothes. Finally I realized Beatrice has been shoving wet pullups under my dresser for weeks because she knows dad will give her chocolate chips for breakfast if she stays dry.

Kids, man. Not for the faint of heart.

And the kid is super proud of all his hard work.

So all these people are commenting, and this was my favorite:

This week, I couldn't figure out why our bedroom smelled so bad. I started with removing all of the dirty laundry, which included gross workout clothes. Finally I realized Beatrice has been shoving wet pullups under my dresser for weeks because she knows dad will give her chocolate chips for breakfast if she stays dry.

lol this is great. never underestimate a toddler

Back