• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I don’t know; I downloaded it and it’s literally just endless short vids of teenagers doing dumb lip-synch vids. It’s disturbing

we had the lengthy drive to OBX and my wife is in charge of downloading stuff to the ipad for the kiddo. we get downt he road and she fires up the ipad and says "why can't i see the shows i downloaded?"

"what do you mean?

"i downloaded a bunch of stuff on my phone last night but it's not showing up on the ipad?"

source.gif

I believe in the power of women and all, but when it comes to matters of iphones, ipads, TVs, cable, remote controls...buddy, that's where us men just have to acknowledge that certain things are our responsibilities.

I believe in the power of women and all, but when it comes to matters of iphones, ipads, TVs, cable, remote controls...buddy, that's where us men just have to acknowledge that certain things are our responsibilities.

exactly

as is either consolidating all the remotes into one universal remote or being explain in full the order of operations to accomplish any reasonable goal of watching something on the television

I have a TV model in need of baby-proofing to prevent tipping in either direction. It's an LG with two balance feet:

x68960H6150-o_angle6.jpg

It sits atop a flat, low-level entertainment unit that is caddy-corner to the wall, so latching is out. Any suggestions to secure it?

You could attach it to the back of the unit with straps. Route the straps from the holes in the tv and screw them to the back of the unit and pull the straps tight. Not the most secure setup possible, but I'd think it would help keep it from falling straight off the front onto the floor.

I tied clear fishing line to the back of the TV and to eye-screws in the wall studs. You can't see the fishing line unless you are really looking at it, and it is more than strong enough to hold up the TV even if it somehow tipped or a kid was hanging on it.

I posted this on another thread:

Texas Republican Congressman Will Hurd said tonight that Trump is being manipulated by Putin. Hurd is a former CIA Agent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/o...-congress.html

Trump Is Being Manipulated by Putin. What Should We Do?

"Over the course of my career as an undercover officer in the C.I.A., I saw Russian intelligence manipulate many people. I never thought I would see the day when an American president would be one of them.

The president’s failure to defend the United States intelligence community’s unanimous conclusions of Russian meddling in the 2016 election and condemn Russian covert counterinfluence campaigns and his standing idle on the world stage while a Russian dictator spouted lies confused many but should concern all Americans. By playing into Vladimir Putin’s hands, the leader of the free world actively participated in a Russian disinformation campaign that legitimized Russian denial and weakened the credibility of the United States to both our friends and foes abroad.

As a member of Congress, a coequal branch of government designed by our founders to provide checks and balances on the executive branch, I believe that lawmakers must fulfill our oversight duty as well as keep the American people informed of the current danger."

This is my issue - I need to prevent the TV from tipping forward OR backward, since there's a gap behind it as a result of the caddy-corner set up. Or maybe I should just suck it up and put it flush against the wall until he's 18.

Yeah you crisscross the lines like an X with the screws more towards the sides. It won't fall backwards with that there.

PM was out doing bachelor party festivities all day on Saturday; was solo with the kids all day. Not the biggest deal, but also makes me realize how much we tag-team the two of them when they're getting ridiculous and one of us is ready to blow a gasket.

My wife works nights, so I solo a ton. The difference in my energy and spirits during tough stretches is magnitudes of different between her presence and absence. It is the main thing scaring me (beyond the absurd cost) of a second.

yeah, just finished up a solo month with my 2.5 yr old. I find that there are stretches where you get into a groove where things flow pretty easily and then get blown off the track for a day or two. My daughter decided one night she was just going to take over her diaper and pee in the bed and I was like, well, i have basically no defense against this.

I find I'm much better at rolling with the punches when it's all unavoidable/unpredictable stuff (like bed peeing, not that I have to deal with that but just that kind of thing in general). What kills me and wears me down quickly with older kids is repeating the same shit over and over and over (not that you don't with little kids); at some point a 10yr old should just close the door behind him, or hang up his wet towel/swimsuit, or throw away his otter pop wrapper. I'm not doing it for you, and I'm getting tired of reminding you to do it.
That, and dealing with bad attitudes about something that shouldn't be a surprise (yes, you only get 30min of screen time right now... just like yesterday, and the day before). Those are the things that get me.
Plus, girl is at an age where she's just testing boundaries in general and trying to negotiate EVERYTHING. It's tiring. Part of me is happy that she's independently thinking and not just accepting everything at face value... but sometimes I wish she was more easily led.

I find I'm much better at rolling with the punches when it's all unavoidable/unpredictable stuff (like bed peeing, not that I have to deal with that but just that kind of thing in general). What kills me and wears me down quickly with older kids is repeating the same shit over and over and over (not that you don't with little kids); at some point a 10yr old should just close the door behind him, or hang up his wet towel/swimsuit, or throw away his otter pop wrapper. I'm not doing it for you, and I'm getting tired of reminding you to do it.
That, and dealing with bad attitudes about something that shouldn't be a surprise (yes, you only get 30min of screen time right now... just like yesterday, and the day before). Those are the things that get me.
Plus, girl is at an age where she's just testing boundaries in general and trying to negotiate EVERYTHING. It's tiring. Part of me is happy that she's independently thinking and not just accepting everything at face value... but sometimes I wish she was more easily led.

You have the added benefit that their mom has different rules at her house, and she thinks she can play you against her dad. We put up with this shit all the time.

Back