• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Yeah... it was a lot. I may have posted about on this thread... Let me check.

ETA: Sadly I did not.

Last edited:
Me with beer.

ok, I'm ready to be done being pregnant now... too bad little lady hasn't gotten the memo.

I feel like I am going into a test and I need to cram more 'how to parent a newborn' information. It dawned on me last night, I don't even know - with that budreaux's butt paste stuff (which I've opened to see at this point), how do you get it off? Diaper wipe hardly got it off my fingers. Are you supposed to clean it off each wiping and apply fresh? Continuing to cake it on doesn't seem cool, but rubbing hard to get it off seems like it defeats the idea of something that's supposed to soothe/heal/protect.

:willynilly::willynilly::willynilly:

You only use that stuff if there is a need and it will wear off on it's own in the diaper. Only reapply when its worn off if still needed. You can avoid needing it largely by applying a small amount of aquafor after each changing

It’s always so odd to see an actual Sokolove post. Although, if RJ had ever posted about baby backside care, it would be epic.

ok! This is the info you can't figure out for yourself while just standing in the aisle of butt stuff wondering WTF you need. These things should come with instructions.

It’s always so odd to see an actual Sokolove post. Although, if RJ had ever posted about baby backside care, it would be epic.

ok, I'm ready to be done being pregnant now... too bad little lady hasn't gotten the memo.

I feel like I am going into a test and I need to cram more 'how to parent a newborn' information. It dawned on me last night, I don't even know - with that budreaux's butt paste stuff (which I've opened to see at this point), how do you get it off? Diaper wipe hardly got it off my fingers. Are you supposed to clean it off each wiping and apply fresh? Continuing to cake it on doesn't seem cool, but rubbing hard to get it off seems like it defeats the idea of something that's supposed to soothe/heal/protect.

:willynilly::willynilly::willynilly:

yeah, like sokolove said just fire and forget.

ok! This is the info you can't figure out for yourself while just standing in the aisle of butt stuff wondering WTF you need. These things should come with instructions.

This post is why we need this Pit Parenting Thread. Because if this was on the chat thread, I wouldn't quite understand the context.

Had a baby - she's pretty awesome.
Came on her due date, albeit after a long labor/intense delivery, but all are well. She's just over two weeks old now and already up 1lb 5oz over her birth weight, validating my feelings of being a milk machine. Very chill so far; cries when she needs something addressed but then is easily consolable. It's crazy to think just three weeks ago I was still hugely pregnant, and now here I am with a little 8lb milk-drunk lump next to me.

Came on her due date, albeit after a long labor/intense delivery, but all are well. She's just over two weeks old now and already up 1lb 5oz over her birth weight, validating my feelings of being a milk machine. Very chill so far; cries when she needs something addressed but then is easily consolable. It's crazy to think just three weeks ago I was still hugely pregnant, and now here I am with a little 8lb milk-drunk lump next to me.

Soak it up. It’s cruel how fast it goes by.

congrats! that's great. babies are cool.

Watched my three year old do a Karate demonstration yesterday. It was pretty great, you guys.

Somewhat inspired by the Pit fighting thread.

Yesterday we get a call from the school principal that our 6 year old was "beat up" by the kindergarten child of the school's version of the O'Doyle Rules clan (the principal couldn't tell us which kid it was, but he obviously told us when he got home). Turns out that O'Doyle squeezed/twisted his arm and punched him in the face unprovoked. Our house is generally a WWE steel cage match between the 6 year old and his 10 year old brother, so the "assault" didn't really phase him, he didn't cry and shrugged it off. The scene was witnessed by the teacher, so O'Doyle got suspended (apparently his third suspension already in kindergarten, so this kid has a promising future).

I asked my son if he pushed/punched him back to get him to stop, and he said no because the no bullying rule says you are not allowed to touch other kids, and it didn't hurt so he didn't care. Apparently the school has a zero tolerance policy on fighting, so if there is a mutual fight both kids get suspended regardless of who started it. So in this situation the system worked as planned, because the teacher saw what happened and the school suspended the right person, combined with the fact that they are 6 and can't really hurt each other yet at this point.

However, is complete submission to physical violence what we really want to be teaching kids? There isn't always going to be a teacher right there to intervene. At some point if you are getting hit you need to learn to fight back. The 6 year old O'Doyle isn't going to know/care what being suspended means, so he isn't going to stop hitting other kids if nobody is fighting back - as evidenced by his 3 kindergarten suspensions already. But if someone jacks him in the face in response to his actions, then he is probably more likely to stop doing it.

My inclination is to tell him that, if someone is punching you in the face, you need to either punch him back until he stops or, if he is way too big, kick him in the nuts and go get your older brother who is extremely athletic/competitive and doesn't physically back down from anyone to (a) kick the ass of little O'Doyle and (b) kick the ass of older O'Doyle as an example for messing with his little brother, which is how it would have been handled when I was a kid. But, as my wife keeps telling me, this isn't the 80s and both our kids would likely get suspended.

But there has to be a line somewhere. Nobody wants to be raising kids who get in fights and in trouble for fighting, but at some point everyone needs to feel that it is okay to defend themselves if they are being attacked.

Somewhat inspired by the Pit fighting thread.

Yesterday we get a call from the school principal that our 6 year old was "beat up" by the kindergarten child of the school's version of the O'Doyle Rules clan (the principal couldn't tell us which kid it was, but he obviously told us when he got home). Turns out that O'Doyle squeezed/twisted his arm and punched him in the face unprovoked. Our house is generally a WWE steel cage match between the 6 year old and his 10 year old brother, so the "assault" didn't really phase him, he didn't cry and shrugged it off. The scene was witnessed by the teacher, so O'Doyle got suspended (apparently his third suspension already in kindergarten, so this kid has a promising future).

I asked my son if he pushed/punched him back to get him to stop, and he said no because the no bullying rule says you are not allowed to touch other kids, and it didn't hurt so he didn't care. Apparently the school has a zero tolerance policy on fighting, so if there is a mutual fight both kids get suspended regardless of who started it. So in this situation the system worked as planned, because the teacher saw what happened and the school suspended the right person, combined with the fact that they are 6 and can't really hurt each other yet at this point.

However, is complete submission to physical violence what we really want to be teaching kids? There isn't always going to be a teacher right there to intervene. At some point if you are getting hit you need to learn to fight back. The 6 year old O'Doyle isn't going to know/care what being suspended means, so he isn't going to stop hitting other kids if nobody is fighting back - as evidenced by his 3 kindergarten suspensions already. But if someone jacks him in the face in response to his actions, then he is probably more likely to stop doing it.

My inclination is to tell him that, if someone is punching you in the face, you need to either punch him back until he stops or, if he is way too big, kick him in the nuts and go get your older brother who is extremely athletic/competitive and doesn't physically back down from anyone to (a) kick the ass of little O'Doyle and (b) kick the ass of older O'Doyle as an example for messing with his little brother, which is how it would have been handled when I was a kid. But, as my wife keeps telling me, this isn't the 80s and both our kids would likely get suspended.

But there has to be a line somewhere. Nobody wants to be raising kids who get in fights and in trouble for fighting, but at some point everyone needs to feel that it is okay to defend themselves if they are being attacked.

Zero tolerance policies benefit very few. Those that receive the greatest benefit are typically the schools and their legal defense funds. Tinfoil, but it's probably a natural selection (of bureaucratic systems) for there to be an alignment of submission-esq policies by controlling bodies.

It totally sucks that they have to suspend children in Kindergarten.

Back