• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

woof that is a lot for an infant

that's market rate around here. There was another place we looked at that was a little closer to our house that was $1600 for just 8am-3pm coverage (wtf that's supposed to help, I don't know), but! you could add on coverage to 6pm for an additional $350 a month, and add on coverage starting at 7am for another $100 a month! so when all was said and done, it would have been like $2100 to cover normal work hours. Hilarious.

that's market rate around here. There was another place we looked at that was a little closer to our house that was $1600 for just 8am-3pm coverage (wtf that's supposed to help, I don't know), but! you could add on coverage to 6pm for an additional $350 a month, and add on coverage starting at 7am for another $100 a month! so when all was said and done, it would have been like $2100 to cover normal work hours. Hilarious.

We did a nanny share from 6 months - 18 months and then put them in an early learning center. Nanny share was cheaper than infant care we found and we felt like it was a better care situation overall. Of course, we had a great nanny which helped. Might be worth looking for a nanny or a share.

$1600/month for infant care is rough
I thought we were paying a ton for daycare, but compared to other cities, it's really not that bad, that being said I'm going to feel like I've won the lottery when I get my two kids (1 and 3) out of daycare (about $2000 for both, but after the sibling discount it's around $1850, but we get 7am to 6pm, so that's real nice)
I guess I can expect to pay about $500-$700/month for after school (from what I've been told), but that still frees up a lot of money

Last edited:
Wow. In good ole Winston, at peak we paid $1400/mo for an infant and 3yo. 9hrs coverage a day.

I'm in good ole Winston and am about to start paying $3000/month for a 2 year old and two infants. I'll be eating Ramen again come July.

We pay $1650 for one infant in Atlanta. Once a second kid comes along we will be losing money if my wife works and we send them to daycare.

Holy shit. I may live in a shithole town, but my daycare is only 450 a month for my 3 year old. Y'all motherfuckers best be voting for Elizabeth Warren.

I force my wife to stay home with our 3 kids (5yrs/3yrs/9mos). Once they are all in school, she'll be allowed (nay, encouraged!) to return to the workforce.

We do send them to pre-school from 9am-12pm 3x week once they hit 2 years old... So I'm not a monster.

And that's still not cheap.

saw this respose on Slate's 'dear parenting advice' column and found it pretty great:

Dear Abbey:
[I don't want to stress out about throwing an elaborate Bday party for my 3 yr old. Is that wrong?]

Dear PP,

If people are stressing out over 3-year-olds’ birthday parties, they’re either the Kardashians, or they’re doing it wrong. Stress level for this event should be minimal at best. Buy or bake a cake. Blow up some balloons. Send out an Evite. Plate some store-bought crudités for the adults. Time your party from 2–4 so you don’t have to feed anyone lunch or dinner. Invite no more than five families, kick their asses the hell out at 4 sharp, order a pizza for dinner, and have the kitchen clean by 7. Anything more for a kid that age is an obnoxious ego exercise designed entirely for the adults, and you don’t need that. Throw your kid a party, make your husband do exactly half of the work, and make it simple.

Anyway, it’s the love and cake that count.

one trend that has taken off for us and our kid's friend is the Sunday-morning brunch party. It's great.

Summer birthday recipe, option A:
2 hours.
8-10 elementary schoolers.
A ton of water balloons.
A piñata.
Cake and ice cream.
The end.

Option B, the sleepover:
3-4 elementary schoolers.
Pizza dinner.
Cake and ice cream.
Movie selection.