• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

may have to listen to the first tag (drunk babies sleep well) if birdie doesn't figure this sleeping thing back out. i don't know if it is night terrors but she's just waking up screaming and getting out of the bed and turning on the lights several times a night since christmas. my wife and i decided to try and do everything we could to let her CIO but she's just so damn freaked out. last night around 11, i opened the door to tell her to go back to bed and she wrapped up my legs ray lewis style and just clung on. i pried her off and calmly told her that she needed to go back to sleep and shut the door. about 2 minutes later, she got it open and ran a 4.3 down the hallway screaming for me. rinse, repeat around 2 (wifey's turn) and 4 (me again). i'm exhausted today.

Before going to bed tonight, 3.5 year old LJF told my wife that he wanted to go to the farm to see them milk the cows and to see the animals and play in the hay and see the dog. He's talking about a dairy farm we went to about a year ago.

It's amazing how good of a memory he has.

we say the same thing all the time. it's really remarkable what they remember.

may have to listen to the first tag (drunk babies sleep well) if birdie doesn't figure this sleeping thing back out. i don't know if it is night terrors but she's just waking up screaming and getting out of the bed and turning on the lights several times a night since christmas. my wife and i decided to try and do everything we could to let her CIO but she's just so damn freaked out. last night around 11, i opened the door to tell her to go back to bed and she wrapped up my legs ray lewis style and just clung on. i pried her off and calmly told her that she needed to go back to sleep and shut the door. about 2 minutes later, she got it open and ran a 4.3 down the hallway screaming for me. rinse, repeat around 2 (wifey's turn) and 4 (me again). i'm exhausted today.

Not a parent, but it sounds like she is getting attention. This is going to sound horrible, but have you tried locking her door from the outside?

I think one of the most difficult things in parenting is figuring out when your kid is just acting out for attention (they don't want to be alone or sleep) or when they legitimately need to be comforted (sick, bad dream, etc.)

That said, E slept from 8:15 last night to 7:15 this morning with one slight wake-up at about 11:30 that lasted a couple of minutes. Never forget the good nights!

Not a parent, but it sounds like she is getting attention. This is going to sound horrible, but have you tried locking her door from the outside?

not horrible at all. lock that damn door.

not horrible at all. lock that damn door.

Yep, did that just last night. And I took the bulbs out of all of the lights in the room except the nightlight (note that he is not afraid of the dark, he just turns the lights on so he can play).

Yep, did that just last night. And I took the bulbs out of all of the lights in the room except the nightlight (note that he is not afraid of the dark, he just turns the lights on so he can play).

It would be easier just to strap the kid to the bed and stuff a gag in his/her mouth.

Tell her you will spank her if she gets up again. Then do it, if she gets up again. And the next time, if necessary. Not hard, of course. You will not need to lock the door.

you only lock it during the "you've put me to bed and i'm not tired at all so i want to play until midnight but if i don't play i will be asleep within 4 minutes" time.

obviously the door gets unlocked when the parents go to bed.

you only lock it during the "you've put me to bed and i'm not tired at all so i want to play until midnight but if i don't play i will be asleep within 4 minutes" time.

obviously the door gets unlocked when the parents go to bed.

do you see anything wrong with putting one of those knob covers on the door so she can't open it in the middle of the night? i honestly think it is riskier to give her free reign of the house than it is to have her unable to leave her room. we have a smoke detector in her room. her room is adjacent to ours so we would get to it within a couple of seconds of the alarm going off.

taking parenting advice from milhouse. the internet has reached it's new all time low.

The only thing missing from this thread is Ted Bundy's parents chiming in with some helpful advice (and that was NOT a jab at milhouse).

Back