• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Americans on Fx

In Soviet Russia, dysentery dies of you!

Philip is my current favorite character on tv now, a worthy successor to Walter White.

Yeah.

The thing I love about this show is that it doesn't make any judgments about ideologies like communism or capitalism or good or evil. Even Walter White was made to look "bad" by the end. Even if you were rooting for him, you knew that he was not the hero of the story. I don't feel that way about Philip and Elizabeth. It makes the show tragic, because you know that, like Breaking Bad, Philip and Elizabeth are predestined to fail, but unlike Breaking Bad, they don't necessarily deserve that fate.

I dunno. Walter made choices to get where he ended up, I guess. Philip and Elizabeth didn't, necessarily.

Agreed. I didn't like the Larrick arc because it seems like was one of the few truly "bad" dudes on the show.

I'm glad that got resolved. During the scene when old Ivan was talking to young Ivan (I haven't bothered to learn all the Russians' names) I was wondering what could possibly be her next step. There was only ever one next step...

So, uh, ending that storyline makes me wonder even more why the hell they tracked it to begin with.

I think she saw Philip tell Martha he loved her and was little jealous. So she gave him a little reminder of who is number one.

As much as I like the show (and I really liked that last scene!), it will never be truly great simply because the Paige story is so preposterous.

Season has done a great job building tension and conveying amount of stress Phillip and Elizabeth are under. Acting has also been outstanding, Matthew Rhys in particular -- he WEARS that stress.

Gabriel is not a happy camper. Will Stan adopt Henry when Philip and Elizabeth go to the slammer?
By all means, Alison Wright should be up for an Emmy on the strength of her performance in this episode.

I don't see how Martha survives the season or they just shove her in Russia to live a very lonely life.

I thought it was a good episode, but the Martha resolution at the end was a stretch.

Only way Martha survives is if Gabriel goes down (infected rat?) or Philip offs him before he reports back. If it really is a 5 season arc, then I could see the latter as being the first major step in the Jennings going off the reservation.

They have to wait till morning to put Martha on the plane. Assuming she ever boards, what are the chances she will arrive alive in Moscow?
Tatiana is one horny lady. She needs to get some action, and soon.
BTW, "Good night, John Boy!"

Back