• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Americans on Fx

The wife and I watched the first season of this show live, then got caught up in other shows and stopped watching. After seeing all the positive press it was getting leading up to S4, we started binging to catch up and finally did so last night.

Paige's story arc is tiresome for sure, but one of the reasons the show is so intriguing is because Elizabeth and Philip aren't just cold-hearted Soviet caricatures all the time, which is certainly relevant when it comes to their family.

The relationship between Stan and the Jennings reminds me so much of the Hank storyline from Breaking Bad, and I think it will end just as abruptly at some point.

Also, RIP Gadd. You were the most oblivious FBI station chief in history, but you were still a cool dude.

Paige had asked Philip and Elizabeth if, in their work, anyone ever got hurt. They replied, "Oh, Noooooooo!" Now Elizabeth has got some 'splainin' to do. Chances are she won't say she took self defense classes at The Y.

Who's Zoomin' Who?: The dance being carried on between Pastor Tim/Alice and the Jenningses was interesting to watch. Is Elizabeth sincerely seeking counsel from Tim, or is this a way of working him by inviting his sympathy? And is Pastor Tim's apology for Alice's going off on them just a ploy to get them to trust him more? Perhaps a little of both. I still think there may be something about Pastor Tim we have yet to be told.

Noah Emmerich (as Stan) has developed a manner of looking that makes Stan appear to be suspicious of everyone and everything that is said. He is strongly challenged in this tendency toward suspicion by Agent Aderholt.

Ships passing in the night: Philip's report to The Centre that Gaad was in Thailand may have led to his untimely demise. The FBI has become aware of the death of Betty (Lois Smith), the mother of the owners of the facility where the Mail Robot was repaired. Her death is suspicious but, unlike us viewers, they don't know that P & E are directly involved. Stan comes to dinner, and Pastor Tim, who knows the real identity of P & E, finds that their neighbor/friend is an FBI agent. All this information is crossing a number of paths, but who will connect the dots?

The character who portrayed Patty's mother (with Gabriel at Don's office) undoubtedly was the older bilingual computer expert who Tatiana asked Arkady to send for.

Concerning those floppy discs they collected, BBC America recently posted an article explaining how U.S. nuclear defense offices still use those discs with their vintage 1970s hardware.

Episode 11 (Dinner for Seven) was a set-up episode, wherein a number of loose story lines were tied up, and other lines sent hurtling into the last two episodes of Season 4.

Those two perps who accosted Elizabeth and Paige in that darkened parking lot weren't muggers, but rapists. And why in the deuce did Elizabeth park so far away from the food pantry?

Good news traveled fast Wednesday. The showrunners now have clearance for seasons 5 (13 eps) and 6 (10 eps). It will be interesting to see how they wrap this up

I like that they dug deeper into Yaz's "Upstairs at Eric's" the week before last. On prior episodes they played the hits "Don't Go" and "Situation" but most recently we heard "Winter Kills", which I don't think I've heard outside of the album before.

So sick of Paige. In next week's preview, she's mortified that her mother killed a guy WHO WAS TRYING TO KILL THEM.

Well the running away instead of calling the cops would probably be a bit of a mind scrambler for the Sunday school teen

Well the running away instead of calling the cops would probably be a bit of a mind scrambler for the Sunday school teen

Not if she uses her brain for 2 seconds and realizes that it may bring unwanted law enforcement attention to her family.

Is it wrong that I want to punch Paige in the face? She has a LONG way to go if she is ever gonna be a USSR double agent at quantico.

Paige has weird inverted/double jointed eyebrows....like one of those Precious Moments figurines.

She spills the beans to Pastor Tim, and still whines about not being trusted?!?! And her parents keep falling for it. "Paige, after the Pastor Tim fiasco you will not be trusted with any more information unless you go to Moscow to complete your formal training. So if you like it here in America, STFU."

Boy, the non-Paige elements of last night's ep were great - especially the mini-sting on the mail robot getting usurped by Oleg's revelation to Stan.

Glad they've marked a clear end in terms of number of eps. Hopefully that gives the writers a clear boundary to end the series well.

My cable service died Tuesday night and I didn't get to see Episode 12 till I found it on streaming video.

The bonding of Paige and Elizabeth takes place by watching Luke and Laura on General Hospital. Very American.

Oleg is now eligible for execution. He can still escape to Kenya with Tatiana.

Elizabeth is still hedging on the truth with Paige. She told her she has killed only in self defense, but we viewers know much better.

Gabriel seems like a concerned caretaker, but he is one oily SOB. One never knows if he is telling P&E the truth.

Well, something's got to give tonight. Episode 13 runs to 11:14 P.M (ET) and we know how the showrunners like to pack a punch into the closing minutes.

Emmy nominations are announced Monday, 13 June. It's going to be a long wait till Season 5 in 2017.

The AV Club called this the best season of the best show on TV. I don't know if I agree with the former point; I'd go 3, 2, 4, 1, I think.

I've been trying to figure out if my tolerance, or even liking the Paige arc was based on its own merits, or just compared to other teen girls, especially on espionage thrillers, who have been painful to watch. Homeland immediately comes to mind.

There are probably a lot of decent thinkpieces comparing Paige with Sally Draper.

Back