• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Americans on Fx

I thought it was a good finale. It was just the be beginning was so intense, the rest of the show felt slow. But overall, a lot of good stuff.

It's not that the last episode was bad overall, it was just the way they ended it. I especially enjoy the surveillance/chase scenes, so the pre-credits scene had me hooked.

It's just that they could have easily ended it five minutes earlier and had a great, albeit ultimately inconsequential, cliffhanger. You have Elizabeth and Philip checking out Stan's place as he drives up, knowing that Paige is inside. Stan, having obviously just come from work where William was starting to talk, gets out of his car and looks at the Jennings' place with a neutral expression. Cut to credits. Elizabeth and Philip are left wondering what Stan knows, especially given that he "has" their daughter, and the audience is left wondering what William told the FBI. Even if it turns into nothing, which it obviously did, everybody gets a year to stew about it. Instead, we got a few extra minutes of espionage-style parent-teenager angst, which is fine, but it isn't anything that could not have be saved for next year's opener.

And I think the Mischa storyline is intriguing, but I question how they did it. They started to develop things, but just barely, and now we have to wait a whole year for anything else. Better to just introduce such a potentially pivotal character next season. Or, if you do it in the season finale, then just introduce him as a teaser, rather than spend 10 minutes on it. Again, they lengthened the episode for this stuff when it makes more sense to me to wait.

IIRC, this isn't the first time they've introduced a major plot line for the following season in the current season's final episode(s).

He does say "like them...couple kids, American Dream, they'd never suspect that" or something like that anyway, before saying "she's pretty....he's lucky." Just went back and listened because I thought I remembered him saying something about kids, as well.

This. I watched it w/ cc on because I can't understand the fucking accents on GoT and keep the tv low volume etc

Stan is to be getting a new girlfriend. I have ordered season 4 on dvd, but it's disappointing that it wasn't released before the day season 5 starts.

Vietnamese kid seems hard core. 100% chance he kills someone next week.

Yeah, the length of the hole scene was odd, maybe they needed to get the South African a certain amount of screen time before capping him.

Love the bit with the Asian kid, but overall that was a pretty lame first episode. Last season was killer, so the bar is high for this show.

Sepinwall said the opener was setting the season up and eps 2 and 3 were very good.

Did they bone or she saw his dong? Even if she says no, it's probably yes. And now that fella is famous. P interesting. How you gonna play this?

Back