• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Americans on Fx

I'll add to the recommendations on the show. It's quite deliberate at times, but those slow elements provide more gravitas toward the impactful moments.

The show would be much worse for wear if it had listened to the folks who have complained about its slower stretches.

It's a show that mastered a sense of lurching unease, and consistently demonstrated a mastery of tension and suspense that I don't think exists anywhere else on TV.

Most of the complaints around its quieter moments seem to stem from scenes that dive into Phillip and Elizabeth's relationship, and I think those scenes are absolutely necessary in exploring the show's core themes of partnership, family, marriage, and trust. One of my favorite scenes in the show so far is the amateur denistry scene (I'll leave that vague at the risk of spoilers), which wouldn't have worked at all if not for the work the show had put into Phillip and Elizabeth's partnership already.

Solid first episode. They could go any number of ways with this potential story line.

I didn't even realize next week is the season finale because so little has happened this season. It feels like the most interesting part of this season was when they iced the Nazi (which wasn't even relevant to the core plot, unless you count the psychological effects on P&E).

I've been streaming the series over the past year and just made it to that episode last night. It seems that Phillip is becoming more and more disillusioned with the Soviets and the assignments he is given. I see it some with Elizabeth but not to that same degree. She's straight up cold blooded at times.

Season 6 could go a number of ways but I feel Stan will learn Phillip and Elizabeth's identities at some point. I'm not sure whether that will be through doing his job or if he'll end up being blackmailed.

Husband v Wife. Had to come down to this. The show has dipped it's toe in these waters from the beginning.

Love seeing Paige in the mix, too. Going to be a hell of a final season.

Husband v Wife. Had to come down to this. The show has dipped it's toe in these waters from the beginning.

Love seeing Paige in the mix, too. Going to be a hell of a final season.

Normally I would say don't bet against Elizabeth, but she is looking burned out.

Elizabeth hiding the fact that Paige is her daughter from her partner is definitely going to create some shit.

Slow episode, but necessary to set up a few things. Going to be interesting to see how Paige reacts to seeing her mom w/ blood and brains all over her face.

I wonder how much Paige knows of the operations and whether Phillip will be able to extract information from her to take back to Oleg.

That opening scene with Philip questioning Elizabeth in front of Paige was great.

It's gettin good. Philip showing Paige what's what was pretty dang satisfying.

Back