• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Americans on Fx

I hope they never stop including long gratuitous shots of Felicity's naked ass on this show.

That great shot of her ass was quickly forgotten during the tooth extraction scene, unfortunately. Ugh. There is only one other show on non-premium TV that has made me cringe like that (SOA a couple times).

Also this new black FBI dude is going to be the connector. For sure.

And I love how this new Hans bro called out Elizabeth on her hypocrisy about being a fashionista seconds after she derided vanity and consumerism. Good shit. That's why this show is great. The subtlety of it all.

Last edited:
I actually think that this so far has been the best season.

The way that they were looking at each other during that scene, though...

This.

I've never, ever seen another show that balances genuine love and compassion with brutal devastation and heartbreak quite the way the Americans does. So many scenes have this subdued beauty to them that I don't think you can get anywhere else on TV right now.*

The last scene in this week's episode ("Do you have to make it real with me?") was just crushing. As much as the show has tried to make you root against Elizabeth these last couple weeks, to have Russell suddenly imbue the character with that sort of vulnerability (and subsequent heartbreak) was such a smart place for them to take that scene.

I love this show.

*maybe Rectify? I don't know, that's the only one I can think of that comes close to hitting these notes.

^^ Agreed. This show goes in some good places sometimes.

I think the subplot with getting their daughter involved is a bit ridic, though. There is no way they'd risk exposing those two just to train their daughter. And how would they be able to train her to the degree they did with her parents? It's idiotic, really. Much easier to just drop off another couple like they did with them in the first place.

^^ Agreed. This show goes in some good places sometimes.

I think the subplot with getting their daughter involved is a bit ridic, though. There is no way they'd risk exposing those two just to train their daughter. And how would they be able to train her to the degree they did with her parents? It's idiotic, really. Much easier to just drop off another couple like they did with them in the first place.

they don't want to train her to be an assassin like her parents. they want a second generation asset that does everything "right" and goes into the FBI or CIA or something and steals intel down the road. they want a long con type asset that hides in plan sight, gets security clearances etc.

this is probably the best show on tv that no one is watching. it's a shame really.

As big a fan as I am of this show, I became a bigger fan after watching an episode of the shameless rip-off "Allegiance". In case you're unfamiliar with it, think of "The Americans" except instead of a daughter they're trying to turn into a spy, there's a son. The other difference is it's set in current times. There's no true tension, everyone speaks in cliches and the characters are all playing a type. That is, it's network tv. If this makes it to 13 episodes I'll be surprised.

I happened onto this show last night [it was a welcome relief after watching the firebombing from Durham!]. I'll want to be a regular viewer to see if Phil (Jimmy) ever "makes it real" with the nubile Kimmy.

I happened onto this show last night [it was a welcome relief after watching the firebombing from Durham!]. I'll want to be a regular viewer to see if Phil (Jimmy) ever "makes it real" with the nubile Kimmy.

This is one of the best shows on tv the last few years. I am enjoying this season the most. It is so painful to watch some of these moments this season.

Well that old lady murder scene was disturbing

Yeah, hoooly shit.

This season has had some gut-punching scenes. The old lady murder and the "do you have to make it real with me?" scene stick out.

And though it wasn't a gut punch or anything, I thought the scene with Philip and Elizabeth getting high was pretty awesome.

I think I said it before, but to me this has been the best season of this show. I'm very comfortable saying that it might be the best TV series this year. This last season of Justified has also been great, but the themes in the Americans are heavier.

Back