• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Americans on Fx

It's more thematically interesting this way, too. They were doing a fine job running the agency as a sorta small-time thing, but it was Philip's ambition (which they've made a point to Americanize as a motivation throughout the show) that drove them to expanding, and that may ultimately sink them.

This is the correct angle. Heavy handed point being made that Phillip went "American" w the business, and it is not going to work out...and be a reason they get caught.

That's the way my wife saw it, too. I thought Chicago guy died of his wounds. I could be wrong, but why would Philip bother to take the necklace if it was empty?

Maybe Philip plans to try a switch with Elizabeth’s necklace. He’s made it clear that he wants her to get rid of the pill.

From where? I thought the Chicago guy took his in the van, off-screen, when Philip looked away.

My impression as well. They didn't show him do it, but that was the implication. Philip watched him die in the same way his wife will die if she is caught.

You'd think the Russians would prop up the travel agency financially to maintain their cover. Can't have a spy turning due to financial hardship.

And what kind of travel for a client is necessary for a travel agency? Are they making their bed, too? Booking hotels, cars, planes, cruises was all done over the phone even in the 80's.

Sepinwall asked the producers this question a couple of weeks ago.

https://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-ame...ew-spoilers/2/

"We base all of this loosely on how the KGB funded their illegals, although it wasn’t always completely consistent. But in general, our understanding is that illegals got money to get their businesses off the ground, but were then expected to be self-supporting, except for their operations, which were funded by the Centre. So Philip and Elizabeth would have been expected to keep the travel agency afloat, and support themselves through it. But the KGB would have paid for anything spy-related – any operations. None of this would have changed when Philip retired.

Philip and Elizabeth were able to run their travel agency and be spies all these years. They had to do both. It wasn’t easy. They didn’t get enough sleep! Although spying probably didn’t take up as much time as it looked like on the show — we televised the parts where they were busiest. They probably spent more time at the travel agency than they did spying. (For real illegals, this was even more true – the cover work to spying ratio was much more strongly weighted towards cover work.)

We can’t say for sure what would have happened if an illegals’ business were going under. If a one time infusion of cash would have saved it, it seems likely the KGB would have done so. It also seems likely that, human nature being what it is, some officers may have hidden the truth from their bosses back home. In one historical case, an illegal made a fortune from his business, and sent all the excess money back to Moscow."

This show is now in an unstoppable mode, hurtling down the final run of the roller coaster. Look out below!
In the end Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys may fail to get Emmys for these performances, but it would be a serious oversight if the television academy fails to recognize the work of the fabulous Margo Martindale. The look on Claudia's face when Elizabeth told her "I won't do it!" was the most vicious, murderous look she has ever displayed. Somebody is going to have to take Claudia out.
Next week that old rascal Pastor Tim is on the phone to Stan Beeman.

Fucking Pastor Tim. My wife and I both let out audible groans when he showed up on the next episode montage. To me he represents the creative low point of the show.

Is it me, or did Stan go from zero to suspicious in the blink of an eye? Was Philip bailing on Thanksgiving really the straw that broke the camel's back? Seems like a stretch now that he's standing at the window peeping on them and lying to his lady about it.

Speaking of his lady, if she's not an illegal, it's going to be a complete let down. There's just no reason for that character otherwise. It's going to the be ultimate dagger, though, if Stan finally bags P&E, only to completely miss the fact that he's banging a KGB operative.

It feels like they have a ton of content to cram into two episodes, but I have faith that they'll pull it off.

Sepinwall asked the producers this question a couple of weeks ago.

https://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-ame...ew-spoilers/2/

"We base all of this loosely on how the KGB funded their illegals, although it wasn’t always completely consistent. But in general, our understanding is that illegals got money to get their businesses off the ground, but were then expected to be self-supporting, except for their operations, which were funded by the Centre. So Philip and Elizabeth would have been expected to keep the travel agency afloat, and support themselves through it. But the KGB would have paid for anything spy-related – any operations. None of this would have changed when Philip retired.

Philip and Elizabeth were able to run their travel agency and be spies all these years. They had to do both. It wasn’t easy. They didn’t get enough sleep! Although spying probably didn’t take up as much time as it looked like on the show — we televised the parts where they were busiest. They probably spent more time at the travel agency than they did spying. (For real illegals, this was even more true – the cover work to spying ratio was much more strongly weighted towards cover work.)

We can’t say for sure what would have happened if an illegals’ business were going under. If a one time infusion of cash would have saved it, it seems likely the KGB would have done so. It also seems likely that, human nature being what it is, some officers may have hidden the truth from their bosses back home. In one historical case, an illegal made a fortune from his business, and sent all the excess money back to Moscow."

Link doesn't work. Can you repost?

Fucking Pastor Tim. My wife and I both let out audible groans when he showed up on the next episode montage. To me he represents the creative low point of the show.

Is it me, or did Stan go from zero to suspicious in the blink of an eye? Was Philip bailing on Thanksgiving really the straw that broke the camel's back? Seems like a stretch now that he's standing at the window peeping on them and lying to his lady about it.

Speaking of his lady, if she's not an illegal, it's going to be a complete let down. There's just no reason for that character otherwise. It's going to the be ultimate dagger, though, if Stan finally bags P&E, only to completely miss the fact that he's banging a KGB operative.

It feels like they have a ton of content to cram into two episodes, but I have faith that they'll pull it off.

She may be in a position to tip them off with eyes and ears in the FBI. Otherwise, yes, completely useless.

This show is now in an unstoppable mode, hurtling down the final run of the roller coaster. Look out below!
In the end Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys may fail to get Emmys for these performances, but it would be a serious oversight if the television academy fails to recognize the work of the fabulous Margo Martindale. The look on Claudia's face when Elizabeth told her "I won't do it!" was the most vicious, murderous look she has ever displayed. Somebody is going to have to take Claudia out.
Next week that old rascal Pastor Tim is on the phone to Stan Beeman.

She was an awesome villain in S2 of Justified. My wife and I became big fans of hers then.

She may be in a position to tip them off with eyes and ears in the FBI. Otherwise, yes, completely useless.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more she'd be in a position to take them out before they can talk to the FBI. A little poison in a coke can that she gets for them while Stan is interrogating them.

Or is their release and turnover negotiated as part of the treaty with Gorbachev, resulting in them being sent to Russia and then unceremoniously executed? That's an ending I could live with.

I can't decide if I want there to be a Renee payoff or not.

Also, Paige was such an important part of the show for most of this season...and then nothing the last two episodes.

I can't decide if I want there to be a Renee payoff or not.

Also, Paige was such an important part of the show for most of this season...and then nothing the last two episodes.

Didn't she finally get the assignment to apply for an internship from Elizabeth last episode? Might've been the week before.

I'd be fine with no Renee payoff, honestly. The ambiguity would fit in well thematically with Stan's growing paranoia.

Plot Twist: Elizabeth is preggers with the intern's baby.

BOOM spin-off.

How the hell is this all going to get wrapped up in only 1 episode?

How the hell is this all going to get wrapped up in only 1 episode?

Just watched and that was my first thought. The finale better be about an hour and a half w/ no commercials! Of course, they could wrap up quite a bit with a killer Fleetwood Mac montage.

My thought as well. Feels like whatever happens, it's going to be somewhat unsatisfying at best. There's just too much to conclude.

My thought as well. Feels like whatever happens, it's going to be somewhat unsatisfying at best. There's just too much to conclude.

Watching it, I kept thinking if this really was the second to last episode because of the pace and lack of conclusion for so many characters.

Back