• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

100 Years ago today

RJ grew up in Philly, IIRC. Doubt there was any planned segregation. I grew up in an upper middle class town in northern NJ - sure wasn't any segregation there, either.

And there were blacks in my Jr, high and high school...the president of student council my junior year is a black guy.

Last edited:
Why the fuck would some one pick out a thread about Rosa Parks to start railing about whether RJ went to a segregated school or not? I mean, while we are way off topic, isn't it interesting how the President's administration kept both Clinton and Petraeus from testifying about what happened in Libya?

That's Mother Fuckin Parks bitches!

I was floored when I first learned she was a NAACP plant on the bus. I always thought she was just a rando old lady.

Go, same here. I was also floored when I learned Jackie Robinson wasn't the hands down best player in the Negro Leagues.

I was floored when I first learned she was a NAACP plant on the bus. I always thought she was just a rando old lady.

Go, same here. I was also floored when I learned Jackie Robinson wasn't the hands down best player in the Negro Leagues.

I wasn't aware of either of these.

Also, really looking forward to the upcoming movie about Jackie Robinson.

jhmd has lost all self control with regard to his anti-RJ/I-know-everything-about-the-black-American-experience bit.

Not only that, but she wasnt old. She was 42 at the time.

I was aware of this. Civil Rights Movement leadership really understood the power of public perception. Moral high ground is a Gandhian concept, and finding examples like Rosa Parks was an important aspect of that.

I wasn't aware of either of these.

Also, really looking forward to the upcoming movie about Jackie Robinson.

Both were selected because they were perceived to have the temperament to deal with the racism.

Jackie Robinson was one of several elite talents in the Negro Leagues at the time. Others were getting tried out and he was the first to sign. Larry Doby signed only a few weeks later.

i knew that about robinson, but had no idea about parks

Parks worked for the NAACP as a volunteer I believe and there had actual been several other arrests for the same thing but IIRC one of them was a pregnant teenager and the NAACP didn't want that being the face of Civil Rights.

So, you were wrong about this. Right?

I highly doubt it. Consider me skeptical.

I'm also absolutely sure that black unemployment is higher now than it was in 2008, that a majority of black children are born to single-parent homes, and that the rest of these ostensibly well-intentioned policies aren't actually working, which matters a heck of a lot more than do-gooders chugging placebos one month out of the year.

Last edited:
So are you doing this on every thread about a black person now? You better get to work on the sports board

jhmd has lost all self control with regard to his anti-RJ/I-know-everything-about-the-black-American-experience bit.

You guys still out of answers, I take it? We're only a few more generations of dependence away from progress, is that the idea? No changes necessary, slay the messenger, next verse, same as the first?

Would have loved to have seen Josh Gibson play baseball.

These are the threads that cause RJ to think that people are obsessed with him.

I also agree with HP that it sounds like jhmd thinks there is something wrong with integrated schools and that RJ would feel differently about Rosa Parks if he had attended an integrated school, both of which positions are sheer lunacy. (Note: I have no idea if RJ did or did not attend an integrated school, nor do I care).

So are you doing this on every thread about a black person now? You better get to work on the sports board

The CP3 thread could use his input.

Back