• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

100 Years ago today

34htc1f.jpg

We loaned $25,000,000 to Great Britain and learned that the Prince of Wales is in love with his first cousin 100 years ago!

Also tips to avoid the typhoid germ
1) Get vaccinated against typhoid
2) Bail all drinking water
3) Peel or cook all vegetables and fruits before eating
4) Swat that fly!

05051917.jpg

302ue6g.jpg

One of the evidences of what people all over the country think of billboards is that they are abolishing them in every progressive community in ever state in the union. In Los Angeles, Cal., they have been carrying on a campaign against billboards and have succeeded in practically eliminating them from the best communities. Before this campaign was started, the view along every scenic drive out of Los Angeles was almost totally obliterated by the use of obnoxious signs.

"You can see that the board is higher than my house. The length, over all, is about 33 feet. When the sun shines on this great area of galvanized iron the heat reflected from it is so uncomfortable that we cannot sit on our sleeping porch during the summer afternoons. Two real estate men have told me that the market value of my property will be considerably lowered unless the board is removed. I have complained to the city government about it, but it is still there. This board is also a health menace of a particularly obnoxious kind. All sorts of people commit nuisances behind it after dark."

It doesn't feel right to bone behind a billboard if its graph's axes aren't labeled.

302ue6g.jpg

One of the evidences of what people all over the country think of billboards is that they are abolishing them in every progressive community in ever state in the union. In Los Angeles, Cal., they have been carrying on a campaign against billboards and have succeeded in practically eliminating them from the best communities. Before this campaign was started, the view along every scenic drive out of Los Angeles was almost totally obliterated by the use of obnoxious signs.

"You can see that the board is higher than my house. The length, over all, is about 33 feet. When the sun shines on this great area of galvanized iron the heat reflected from it is so uncomfortable that we cannot sit on our sleeping porch during the summer afternoons. Two real estate men have told me that the market value of my property will be considerably lowered unless the board is removed. I have complained to the city government about it, but it is still there. This board is also a health menace of a particularly obnoxious kind. All sorts of people commit nuisances behind it after dark."

God I love the writing and then the quote (even though I suspect the quote is paraphrased by the author). Can you imagine somebody saying the same thing now as that person did 100 years ago? It wouldn't sound nearly as cool. It would be more like, "That fucking board makes my house hot and fucks with my property value and nobody will do shit about it. Then people go behind it at night and fuck and smoke crack."

Having joined in the war less than a month ago, the slogan "Food Will Win the War" gained traction stateside as a call to produce more and consume less. The Indiana Daily Student published this specific account 100 years ago today:
fkcxl2.jpg

302ue6g.jpg

WTF is a "Sleeping Porch?"

Sleeping porches are great. Don't see them in new houses anymore now that everyone has a/c.

it's the (usually) odd, screened in porch that's adjacent to a master bedroom on older homes

Reynolda House, unsurprisingly, has some tight (not dimensions) sleeping porches.

On this day, in 1917, John J. Pershing, recently promoted to Major General, was informed by Secretary of War Newton Baker that he was to lead the American expeditionary force in France. Pershing went on to rise to the second highest rank in the U.S. Army, behind only George Washington.

May 11, 1917

MATTOON -- Two employees of the Big Four Railroad here in Mattoon have enlisted in the military service. F.H. Corley, a fireman in the pool service of the Big Four, enlisted on Monday for service in the Navy. He will be assigned as a fireman and report at the Great Lakes training station. Howard Corson, file clerk in the office of C.S. Millard, superintendent of the St. Louis Division of the Big Four, enlisted in St. Louis for service in the Navy. He enlisted as an expert stenographer... NEOGA -- Mrs. Mary Jane Smith Kimery, widow of John Henry Kimery and an original Daughter of the American Revolution, passed away yesterday morning. She was 82 years of age. Mrs. Kimery was very proud of the distinction of being an original Daughter of the American Revolution. Born in Jacksonville, her father, Elijah Smith, served under Gen. George Washington and enlisted in the Continental army in 1776 at Trenton, N.J., when he was 17 years old. Mrs. Kimery's father died when she was just a few weeks old. There are believed to be only three women still living in Illinois whose fathers served in the Revolutionary War.

Some six weeks after the United States formally entered the First World War and 100 years ago today, the U.S Congress passes the Selective Service Act on May 18, 1917, giving the U.S. president the power to draft soldiers.

When he went before Congress on April 2, 1917, to deliver his war message, President Woodrow Wilson had pledged all of his nation’s considerable material resources to help the Allies—France, Britain, Russia and Italy—defeat the Central Powers. What the Allies desperately needed, however, were fresh troops to relieve their exhausted men on the battlefields of the Western Front, and these the U.S. was not immediately able to provide. Despite Wilson’s effort to improve military preparedness over the course of 1916, at the time of Congress’s war declaration the U.S. had only a small army of volunteers—some 100,000 men—that was in no way trained or equipped for the kind of fighting that was going on in Europe.

To remedy this situation, Wilson pushed the government to adopt military conscription, which he argued was the most democratic form of enlistment. To that end, Congress passed the Selective Service Act, which Wilson signed into law on May 18, 1917. The act required all men in the U.S. between the ages of 21 and 30 to register for military service. Within a few months, some 10 million men across the country had registered in response to the military draft.

The first troops of the American Expeditionary Force (AEF), under commander in chief General John J. Pershing, began arriving on the European continent in June 1917. The majority of the new conscripts still needed to be mobilized, transported and trained however, and the AEF did not begin to play a substantial role in the fighting in France until nearly a year later, during the late spring and summer of 1918. By that time, Russia had withdrawn from the conflict due to internal revolution, and the Germans had launched an aggressive new offensive on the Western Front. In the interim, the U.S. gave its allies much-needed help in the form of economic assistance: extending vast amounts of credit to Britain, France and Italy; raising income taxes to generate more revenue for the war effort; and selling so-called liberty bonds to its citizens to finance purchases of products and raw materials by Allied governments in the United States.

By the end of World War I in November 1918, some 24 million men had registered under the Selective Service Act. Of the almost 4.8 million Americans who eventually served in the war, some 2.8 million had been drafted.

I like that convention of identifying people based on what county they live in.

DeacDiggler.... Mecklenburg County, N.C.

A lot of North Cackalacky.

If you know your WFU (College) history, the main mission of Wake Forest College was to educate Baptist young men from North Carolina in liberal arts, medicine and law. This focus changed a lot after Wake severed the strong Baptist ties in the 1980's.

I know all about the Manual Labor Institute and OG John Crenshaw, thanks to Ed Hendricks (RIP).

Back