• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bz Radio Show Tonight

Yeah what is Bzz reaching for here? THis is a desperate excuse... Jerks?

Yeah, students sit around and decide whether to show up to basketball games based on whether the players are jerks or not. Even at a tiny school like Wake, how many students in attendance have talked to a player other than a walk on? The guy is grasping...but he believes it. I think he really believes he's leading some sort of revolution of doing things the "right" way or whatever bullshit that is. It'll all come tumbling down when one of his recruits ends up in trouble with the law.

Didn't Jeff Battle have a lot to do with Shelton Mitchell committing to Wake? If Battle's gone and we continue to suck next year, do you think Shelton reconsiders at all? Oof, don't wanna think about that.

One of them already got busted for smoking weed only weeks into practice. And the culture police kept it hush hush.

I'm posting this separate because it was the one thing that really got to me and I didn't want it to get buried in all the other things he said.

A lot of questions about our lack of success of the road were asked and of course he started off with saying that it was a young inexperienced team. Later he would talk about how it was a confidence thing. Someone asked him: With this team being able to hang with Duke, the best team in the ACC, and showing that they are capable of winning a lot of these games, it seems like a lot of these road games are just getting left on the table. I understand that it's a young team and it's tough to play on the road, but are you doing anything or working on anything to help the guys get some confidence or play on the road and pick up some of these wins?

He replied: It's a mental thing. I just try to stay positive with them. It's one thing to try and give someone confidence, but until they break through and just do it, it's going to be tough. We'll keep getting experience and there might be a point where we come into a game saying, to heck with it we're gonna get this win on the road.
He then talked about a business school professor he talked to that taught leadership at West Point and how it was a situation of having the skill but not the confidence and shared the problem that this professor had of trying to teach leadership and courage to 20 year olds that are going into combat and how do you understand that. Said basketball isn't like being in the army, but still a problem of giving them confidence.
Then said "So I'm just trying to understand the psyche of these guys"

I knew what he was trying to do when he asked the question and I knew as soon as Buzz answered that the guy got him to admit that he couldn't coach confidence. Isn't that his job?

I take back what I said before, he was bad tonight.

Last edited:
'15 -- curious as to hearing your take on [Redacted]'s comments about Coach Battle. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone think of any other coach who would refer to former players as "jerks"? This guy is unbelievable. Maybe they are jerks, but sometimes coachspeak is a good thing.

If he can't teach confidence then he should be doing more to recruit kids that already have it - either way it falls on him.

I just wanna make sure, he referred to former Wake players as "jerks"? Is that the actual word he used?

You really can't coach confidence. There is nothing wrong with that statement in and of itself. However, the coach must do everything in his power to create successful situations so that confidence can be built. I don't think that is happening.

Jesus, I hate Buzzdick (and Wellman) more after reading this thread.

Maybe he's onto something with this "students don't like to support jerks." I know I cringe every time I see [Redacted].

If he can't teach confidence then he should be doing more to recruit kids that already have it - either way it falls on him.

Need to hire Mark Cundiff as a consultant.

Reactions: TBR
Thanks for the insight '15 deac. Great questions and the typical Bzz response of deflecting blame on everybody other than himself, and claiming he is doing "everything he can." What a total piece of garbage coach. The guy doesn't deserve respect or inspire confidence, and the players have responded accordingly.

I just wanna make sure, he referred to former Wake players as "jerks"? Is that the actual word he used?

Good point, I may have reacted too fast. I see that '15 Deac did not have it in quotes.

This guy is the worst at every aspect of coaching. Spectacularly bad.

Wellman acted as if Bz was a band-aid for our program when he hired him. Turns out Bz is like a flu shot that morphed into Ebola.

[Redacted] treats this school and his position as if his main job is counseling children. All he ever talks about is we are working on '' becoming mentally stronger'' or some other emotional bullshit. Why cant he just help these kids play basketball and win games. He rarely ever talks about our substitutions, strategy on the court, etc... Its always some recycled bullshit about ''growing up'' or something. Dammit bzz these players want to be coached basketball, they dont want some Dr phil wannabe messing with there personal lives.

A question was asked about the current coaching staff and [Redacted] commented on every assistant coach except Jeff Battle. This prompted me to ask about the threat of Battle leaving in the past couple of years and if that still might be a problem, to which Buzz responded "Nobody is bigger than the program and there are a lot of great assistants out there."

Looks like Battle may be out.

He thinks a "great assistant" that is not currently assocaciated with the Wake program is going to want to come on board and be a part of his sinking ship? Talk about delusional.

Back