• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's tennis

I want to hear more about the women's team forfeiting a match because the players were hungover.

Would love to see this coach stick around and put the program on the map year-in, year-out. It's going to suck if he bolts in a couple years to take on a sterling job.

I know very little about tennis facilities in the NCAA, but I'd have to imagine ours can compete with anyone's these days.

Would love to see this coach stick around and put the program on the map year-in, year-out. It's going to suck if he bolts in a couple years to take on a sterling job.

I know very little about tennis facilities in the NCAA, but I'd have to imagine ours can compete with anyone's these days.

I think you are correct.

The new facilities will be huge for the program's staying power. Also, it's difficult to overstate how dominant the ACC is as a tennis conference. With the academics at Wake, quality of the conference, quality of the new facilities and strong coaching there's no reason Wake can't be an elite program.

I really didn't know anybody went to tennis matches to be honest. I've never heard about that before at Wake.

And basically long story short is that some girls were injured last year on the team and they had just the minimum to play (I think even had one or two match "forfeits" so they were starting down 1-0 or 2-0) and one match was starting either early afternoon or late morning and one of the girls was "sick" and couldn't play so we had to forfeit. Found out later on that she was actually too hungover to play and was throwing up (from some of her friends). Or maybe it was that the match wasn't officially forfeited, but we had to give up two or three points to start the match. I honestly can't completely remember. Doofus might remember better than I do.

The only reason I know about this, not only in detail but the fact that we had to forfeit at all, was because I was writing about women's tennis (or was supposed to be) for a couple weeks for the OGB and couldn't find any information about any of the matches. Talked to the editor about it and he said he'd call over to check, we then find out that matches just got forfeited and even a couple weeks of matches in advance were cancelled and just removed from the schedule on the website with no information given or anybody told (as far as we knew). So that was interesting to say the least. I actually think it was around this time last year as there's a month gap on the schedule from 1/22/12 to 2/18/12 and at the end of the 1/22/12 match it says:

"Wake Forest will continue dual match play next weekend when it opens against Kansas State on January 28 in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend on the campus of Clemson."

As a player and fan of tennis, this thread really makes me happy

College tennis matches can be the most fun at any level of the game. There is a team aspect to a usually individual sport and the guys and girls on both teams really support each other on the sidelines and even while they are playing on opposite courts

Our indoor/outdoor facilities combined are probably the best in the nation. And to top it all off, we did hit the jackpot with Bresky (a hire that was only made possible because of the facilities, little kudos to Wellman for something Don Flow did for us)/ I believe within 2-3 years men's tennis will be at the level of our women's soccer program, competing for national titles.

As for the women, I have met Coach Wyshner and I hope we stick with him. This season will be tough but in a couple years with bigger/better recruiting classes we will be back to being competitive in ACC play. A shortage of scholarship players really hurt the team last year and even tihs year with all the freshman but we will be back

The new facilities will be huge for the program's staying power. Also, it's difficult to overstate how dominant the ACC is as a tennis conference. With the academics at Wake, quality of the conference, quality of the new facilities and strong coaching there's no reason Wake can't be an elite program.
The one reason we will struggle to be elite is tuition.

I can say that UVA's facilities are phenomenal.

I've never been to the indoor facility but I've played on their "stadium" courts. Not a huge fan. Nice courts but not the most spectator-friendly setup. I would hate to watch tennis through a fence. Honestly, I really liked Wake's old stadium courts. I've been to several ACC tennis facilities and I thought ours was the best - with the exception of only having five courts which is kind of embarrassing. Now UGA's facility, THAT is a phenomenal tennis facility.

Playing on those courts was pretty awesome. Have also enjoyed seeing nationals there.

Yep, always enjoyed playing there. It's like a mini football stadium. So sick. Loved watching UGA win the national title there with Isner.

Our hope with our tennis facility is to be able to host tournament events. Same thing with baseball.

I want pictures of drunk female tennis players... please, save this thread.

Southern Cal, UVA, UGA, Ohio State, Illinois. Stanford historically but not so much recently.

Historically you'd have to throw in UCLA. Baylor and Pepperdine both have championships in the last decade but don't know how consistent they've been outside of a few really good years.

Back