• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's tennis

This thread needs some love from Todd Paul. He was silly good in my time at Wake. Should be in the HOF within a few years.

I've never been to the indoor facility but I've played on their "stadium" courts. Not a huge fan. Nice courts but not the most spectator-friendly setup. I would hate to watch tennis through a fence. Honestly, I really liked Wake's old stadium courts. I've been to several ACC tennis facilities and I thought ours was the best - with the exception of only having five courts which is kind of embarrassing. Now UGA's facility, THAT is a phenomenal tennis facility.

The Indoor Facility is what's nice.

The women's tennis team has lost 5 consecutive matches by 4-3 scores. Ugh.

I really didn't know anybody went to tennis matches to be honest. I've never heard about that before at Wake.

And basically long story short is that some girls were injured last year on the team and they had just the minimum to play (I think even had one or two match "forfeits" so they were starting down 1-0 or 2-0) and one match was starting either early afternoon or late morning and one of the girls was "sick" and couldn't play so we had to forfeit. Found out later on that she was actually too hungover to play and was throwing up (from some of her friends). Or maybe it was that the match wasn't officially forfeited, but we had to give up two or three points to start the match. I honestly can't completely remember. Doofus might remember better than I do.

The only reason I know about this, not only in detail but the fact that we had to forfeit at all, was because I was writing about women's tennis (or was supposed to be) for a couple weeks for the OGB and couldn't find any information about any of the matches. Talked to the editor about it and he said he'd call over to check, we then find out that matches just got forfeited and even a couple weeks of matches in advance were cancelled and just removed from the schedule on the website with no information given or anybody told (as far as we knew). So that was interesting to say the least. I actually think it was around this time last year as there's a month gap on the schedule from 1/22/12 to 2/18/12 and at the end of the 1/22/12 match it says:

"Wake Forest will continue dual match play next weekend when it opens against Kansas State on January 28 in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend on the campus of Clemson."

I don't want to live in a world where we condone college aged females from getting wasted

If they are here on scholarship then it would be nice if they didn't get wasted the night before games and let the entire team down. That's just asinine. They can party every other night for all I care.

If Travis McKie were too hungover to play a basketball game I think most people would be pretty upset.

I'd support giving scholorships for girls to come to the school and get sloshed more than I would for funding a womens tennis program

UGA's tennis facilities were built for the Atlanta Olympics. Kinda gives them a leg up.

Its gonna take another year for the women's program. Men are benefitting from Hopkins getting a 5th year and the senior experience of Kreyman and Prabhakar. Next year may be a rebuild for the men depending on how good the 13-14 recruiting class is. Enjoy it now because at least one spring sport will make the NCAAT

Tennis at the Atlanta Olympics was at Stone Mountain not UGA.
Yes, that is correct. UGA's outdoor tennis center and clubhouse/locker areas are among the nicest in the country. Set up very nice for watching a college match and the NCAAs. Their indoor is showing its age and will be renovated soon.

Wake actually has a very nice indoor center compared to the others. Outdoor will be nice as well, but concern about two things (1) off campus (which hurts student attendance and recruiting), and (2) playing in the shadow of a stadium court.

Men's tennis just picked up a very big recruit today. Noah Rubin, Blue Chip, Wimbledon junior champ.

Wow! That is huge. He is the number 1 recruit in the nation, and was debating turning pro vs. college. He was deciding between Wake and UVA. For those that don't know, UVA is a perennial title contender and has won something like 120 straight ACC matches, the longest streak ever for any ACC sport. It's going to be a lot of fun watching him and the team over the next few years!

mcenroe-twitter_normal.jpg
John McEnroe @McEnroeTweets · Jul 6 Congratulations to Noah Rubin on winning the boys championship earlier he trains at my tennis academy by the way.

That is fucking awesome. Pretty sure he beat another American in the final. I remember them saying at the end of the men's finals that help was on the way for US tennis. Don't know about that, but it's certainly on the way for Wake tennis!

Wow! That is huge. He is the number 1 recruit in the nation, and was debating turning pro vs. college. He was deciding between Wake and UVA. For those that don't know, UVA is a perennial title contender and has won something like 120 straight ACC matches, the longest streak ever for any ACC sport. It's going to be a lot of fun watching him and the team over the next few years!

Their indoor facility at UVA is really really nice.

Their indoor facility at UVA is really really nice.

I haven't seen it in person but have heard that from others.

Wake's tennis complex is now fantastic as well. It is rare to have indoor and outdoor courts right next to each other, as Wake now has. Plus playing the Winston-Salem Open annually is a big draw, as it is one of the bigger tournaments in the US.

mcenroe-twitter_normal.jpg
John McEnroe @McEnroeTweets · Jul 6 Congratulations to Noah Rubin on winning the boys championship earlier he trains at my tennis academy by the way.

That is fucking awesome. Pretty sure he beat another American in the final. I remember them saying at the end of the men's finals that help was on the way for US tennis. Don't know about that, but it's certainly on the way for Wake tennis!

I can very much get behind this decision! Congrats young man! On your Wimbledon title and making a wonderfully sound decision for your future. I'm sure you'll be a pro in two years so make sure you get all of your divisional requirements knocked out in the 4 semesters you're at Wake to kick Virginia's ass!! Go Deacs!

PS - I love Johnny Mac so this is a win/win!!

Back