• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's tennis

Wow! I noticed Rubin kicked ass at Wimbledon.

Realize college tennis is a niche sport, but is this the first time that WF has signed the overall #1 recruit in any sport? Would guess that men's soccer, men's golf (Was Simpson or Haas considered the #1 recruit out of HS?) or women's FH might have done this, but great to see for WF in any sport.

I thought people were saying he choose UVA earlier this week.

Great news!

mcenroe-twitter_normal.jpg
John McEnroe @McEnroeTweets · Jul 6 Congratulations to Noah Rubin on winning the boys championship earlier he trains at my tennis academy by the way.

That is fucking awesome. Pretty sure he beat another American in the final. I remember them saying at the end of the men's finals that help was on the way for US tennis. Don't know about that, but it's certainly on the way for Wake tennis!

SOCALDEAC the prophet and former tennis player stated Tony is the next coming of Jay V (Soccer coach). Hats off to Wellman! Also, the women's coach is NOT GOOD. Knows very little about playing tennis.

I thought people were saying he choose UVA earlier this week.

Great news!

Yes, - IIRC, it was a tweet from a football coach that someone then speculated that it was bad news about tennis and not football. So, GREAT news for our tennis.
Now - what was that coach disappointed about?

Junior Wimbledom Champ? So he is top 5-10 junior player in the world?

Junior Wimbledom Champ? So he is top 5-10 junior player in the world?

Was #6 before he stopped playing junior events to play on the circuit. Because of that, he had to go through qualifying for Wimbledon

So what's the advantage of going to school vs going pro? Is that uncommon in tennis?

He said on his twitter that he's going pro after his first year.

I looked through a list of junior wimbledon champions and only saw one person in the past 30 years that went to college, and that was in 1994.

That list of junior wimbledon champions is impressive, with names like Borg, Lendl, Edberg, and Federer.

someone change the thread title so the regular users can learn about the big news

Agreed. Sounds like this guy is the biggest recruiting get in awhile.

We were so close to being really good last year. Lost a ton of 4-3 matches. You gotta figure this kid at #1 and moving Bogaerts to #2 is going to make us super-tough next year.

I agree that he should add at least a point to our losing matches last year and a player this good will also play on the doubles side. We lost a ton of doubles matches last year and getting the doubles point is just so important. We will be much better next year.

This may be a really dumb question based on his accomplishments, but is it a given that he is better than an older Bogaerts? Would he be significantly better? Thanks.

This may be a really dumb question based on his accomplishments, but is it a given that he is better than an older Bogaerts? Would he be significantly better? Thanks.

Yes. Most Pros do not go to college. Interestingly McEnroe attended Stanford for one year won the NCAAs then turned Pro. If Noah does this Wake tennis will have a woman and man that have won the NCAAs.

Good question re: Rubin vs. Bogaerts. I do think Rubin is better than Romain, that being said, I don't think that Bresky will automatically put Rubin at #1 every match and Romain at 2. I think they'll platoon for a bit and see what happens.

significant parity near top of lineups in college tennis lineups. Rubin beat UNC's number one player in quarterfinals in very close match last year at Kalamazoo. Wouldn't be surprised either way on who plays number 1.

Back