• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's tennis

Not a big fan of tennis but do feel confidant that young kids in prep schools who are really in to the sport and highly regarded follow/know about this. If they don't know Wake that well they will get on a keyboard, see the new facilities, see the coach's bio, see the recent recruits and be interested. BTW, aren't we hosting the NCAA Championships in a couple years - read that last year AIR.

Anyway, this is potentially HUGE for the program and Wake Forest.

Wow! I noticed Rubin kicked ass at Wimbledon.

Realize college tennis is a niche sport, but is this the first time that WF has signed the overall #1 recruit in any sport? Would guess that men's soccer, men's golf (Was Simpson or Haas considered the #1 recruit out of HS?) or women's FH might have done this, but great to see for WF in any sport.

Men's soccer scored the national number one several years in a row, if I recall correctly.

Men's soccer scored the national number one several years in a row, if I recall correctly.

At least one of them never set foot on campus IIRC. That's a common problem with that caliber of recruit in those sports.

I was thinking of Steven Curfman, Pat Phelan, and Corben Bone.

It's official: http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-tennis/recaps/073014aaa.html Sorry if the link doesn't work, but the story is on the front page of the official wake sports site.

In answer to the question about Bogaerts, it would be pretty surprising if Rubin weren't better. Rubin is the number one recruit in the country and the probably the best of a promising generation of American juniors like Stefan Kozlov, Francis Tiafoe (sp?), and Michael Mmoh. I'm shocked that he chose to go to college at all. We probably have John McEnroe to thank for that. Rubin trains at McEnroe's academy and anybody who listens to McEnroe's commentary knows he is a major proponent of college tennis.

No-ad scoring was a bad idea the first time they tried it. No need to repeat the mistake.

Rubin is into the final and will play the defending champion. Winner gets a wild card into the US Open main draw.

Rubin already won the doubles title yesterday so he will be competing in the US Open doubles field. Huge deal for Wake. Don't think we've ever had a current or former men's player compete in a Grand Slam in any fashion other than at the junior level.

friend plays for UVA and they were pretty surprised/upset when Rubin switched his verbal (soft maybe) for Wake.

Of course he did. Why do you think he changed his commitment...

#Flow'd
Absolutely. The tournament has given a wildcard to a few Wake players every year; it's an incredible recruiting advantage.

It's probably a wildcard into the qualifier, not the main draw.

ETA: No, it's the main draw. That's a little surprising.

Last edited:
I mean Rubin played his way into a main draw wildcard for the US Open, it's not like he's undeserving of a wildcard for the main draw in this one.

Bogaerts received a main draw wildcard last year and Adam Lee received a qualies wildcard. Agree that the tourney is a huge recruiting tool for wake.

Bogaerts received a main draw wildcard last year and Adam Lee received a qualies wildcard. Agree that the tourney is a huge recruiting tool for wake.
Corey Parr played doubles in the inaugural tournament, and David Hopkins had a wild card in singles 2 years ago. If your a high school senior looking for a place to play college tennis, how can you pass up an opportunity to get a wild card into an ATP Tour event?

Several Wake players in the WS Open qualifying rounds today. Delcore got off to a 4-1 lead but lost, Max Kan got down big and then battled back but lost in a second set tie-break, and impressively Jon Ho just won his first match 7-5, 6-1. Adam Lee going on soon and Rubin will be in the main draw, probably tomorrow or Monday.

Lee won his first set after being down a break. He looked sluggish and nervous early in the set.

Back