• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's tennis

Mansouri also won the ITA Carolina Regional last week, which is a pretty big deal considering the Carolina region is arguably the toughest one in all of college tennis. It basically means he's the singles champion from all of the schools in South Carolina and North Carolina.

I'm not sure if we've ever had a player win an ITA Regional in singles before, maybe Cory Parr or Todd Paul did. By winning, he qualifies for the ITA National Indoor Championships, which is the toughest of the national championship level events to get into

Wake just signed another top player to join the team this January. Petros Chrysochos, from Cyprus, will join the Deacs. He's ranked 495 in the world (ATP), and will join Dennis Uspensky, who was ranked as the #1-3 recruit in the class of 2015 before taking a year off to play pro tennis, as the other recruit to start in January. Wake will be loaded again this year and should have a chance to make a run at the NCAA team title.

Wake just signed another top player to join the team this January. Petros Chrysochos, from Cyprus, will join the Deacs. He's ranked 495 in the world (ATP), and will join Dennis Uspensky, who was ranked as the #1-3 recruit in the class of 2015 before taking a year off to play pro tennis, as the other recruit to start in January. Wake will be loaded again this year and should have a chance to make a run at the NCAA team title.

You take the year off, play pro tennis, and then play in college? I assume that Uspensky played in some pro tournaments, but as an amateur. Is that right?

Imagine if Rubin had stayed with this team... BTW, how is Rubin doing as a pro?

You take the year off, play pro tennis, and then play in college? I assume that Uspensky played in some pro tournaments, but as an amateur. Is that right?

Imagine if Rubin had stayed with this team... BTW, how is Rubin doing as a pro?

You can accept up to $10,000 per year in winnings to cover travel and meals. Also, you only have 5 years after completing high school to play in college (I think the clock actually starts once you enter 9th grade).

Rubin is doing OK. He has made the semis/finals of a few futures tournies but hasn't won one yet. He's playing a challenger this week, and won in the first round.

For context, Chrysochos is ranked higher on the ATP rankings than Rubin was when he committed to Wake.

Must say that the non-revenue sports are looking up after a rough period.

Men's Golf, Men's Soccer and Field Hockey are all top 5 quality, and Men's Tennis is looking really strong.

Men's Golf, Men's Soccer and Field Hockey are all top 5 quality, and Men's Tennis is looking really strong.

Yup, we have four top 5 programs right now in the country. That's really solid.

I think men's tennis will be a top 5 team. Bresky is doing a fantastic job. The tennis complex was just ranked the 3rd best in the country and it will improve even more over the next 2-3 years (leading up to the NCAA tournament at Wake in 2018). http://www.tennis.com/your-game/2015/10/top-20-college-tennis-facilities/56683/#.Vjp1OrerSUk

The women's tennis team has been down the past 4 years, but they are looking like a top 25 and NCAA tourney team this year, based on results this fall.

Last edited:
For context, Chrysochos is ranked higher on the ATP rankings than Rubin was when he committed to Wake.

This is true, but it's a little bit of apples and oranges as Chrysochos has picked up a lot of his points at tournaments in the Middle East and Egypt where points are much easier to come by than in the U.S.

I wouldn't expect him to be better than Rubin, but he definitely appears to be a solid player.

You can accept up to $10,000 per year in winnings to cover travel and meals.

Holy fuck, seriously? The NCAA gives some serious shit to athletes that have won $25 gift cards and t-shirts in other sports.

Holy fuck, seriously? The NCAA gives some serious shit to athletes that have won $25 gift cards and t-shirts in other sports.

Yep. The $10,000 per year prior to enrollment is specific to tennis. I don't know why - maybe it's from when Tracy Austin and other 14-16 year olds were going pro in tennis, or maybe because there is a well organized international group that monitors prize money?

In other sports you can take enough prize money to cover travel and meals.

Rubin is doing OK. He has made the semis/finals of a few futures tournies but hasn't won one yet. He's playing a challenger this week, and won in the first round.

Rubin's doing pretty well, all things considered. He should have won one of those Futures but fell apart after being up a set and a break in the final.

Looks like he is going to be playing the fall U.S. Challengers in Charlottesville, Knoxville and Champaign. There is a wild card into the Australian Open on the line for the American who does the best in all three of those combined. Not sure if that's the reason that Rubin is playing the Challengers (he has to play in the qualifying draw for all of them - and he did successfully qualify this week) instead of Futures, or whether he thinks he's ready to compete at the Challenger level.

I'd say he is probably a fringe Challenger-level player right now, which for his age is pretty solid. He has a very interesting match tomorrow against Jared Donaldson who is another 19-year-old American who has really had a breakout year and is up to #133 in the world. Don't think Rubin is quite up to his level at this point in time, but we'll see how things go

Yep. The $10,000 per year prior to enrollment is specific to tennis. I don't know why - maybe it's from when Tracy Austin and other 14-16 year olds were going pro in tennis, or maybe because there is a well organized international group that monitors prize money?

In other sports you can take enough prize money to cover travel and meals.

I think a lot of it has to do with accommodating kids from other countries who don't think about playing college tennis in the U.S. until very late, after they realize that they aren't ready to be successful pros. With the way that tennis development is around the world, by the time they start thinking about coming to the U.S. for college at age 17 or so - they have probably already played in pro tournaments and accepted money because there is no reason for them to retain their amateur status if the idea of U.S. college tennis isn't even in their minds

This is confusing to me, because it was my impression that he already turned pro and has taken money. He is definitely over $10k for the year from the US Open alone. So unless he didn't actually turn pro, I'm not sure how he could be back.

Also huge win by Rubin today over Donaldson. Probably the best win of his pro career, and this is the best tournament result of his pro career so far

Last edited:

Of course fockey flamed out in the first round of ACCT today. #deaclife

Back