• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's tennis

both tennis programs are on the rebound. women have a real strong recruiting class also.

It would be impossible for women's tennis not to be on the rise. Last year they had to forfeit matches and won a total of like three.

Tony Bresky is the real deal. Lots of energy in that program right now.

Glad the women's team came around. Couldn't get any worse. Can't remember the last time a D1 team had to forfeit games because scholarship athletes were too hungover to even compete. Absolutely absurd.

Thank goodness they have a coach in there that can recruit and instill discipline. No doubt the new facilities have helped out a ton too.

Huge home match on Sunday versus 14th ranked Tennessee for the men's team. I think they are giving out free t-shirts to the first 100 fans.

The women are playing #47 VCU this morning at the indoor center. Should we go and start a "We want Shaka" chant?

Great to hear, love to see the teams do well. Had high hopes for Hopkins when he joined the team, excited to see him doing well.

According to twitter, men had tough loss today to #14 Tenn. Came back from 3-1 down to almost take last match, but lost 4-3.

Bummer. I took two of my kids to watch the match today. We had to leave pretty early, when the Deacs were trailing in all three of the doubles matches. Glad to hear they came back and made a fight out of it. Hopkins' mother is a professor at the law school and is extremely nice.

It was a good match. Good crowd, good atmosphere. It came down to the final match. Tough loss, but they will have to get over quick. Next match is tonight at 6 against Elon (which should be a win for the Deacs).

And to the tagger, Buzz was there but left after the doubles matches. So you are right, it probably is his fault.

That was one of the more entertaining sporting events I've been to (seriously). If you haven't been to the new tennis facility, you really should try to check it out. I was very impressed.

We lost singles 1 on a 2nd set tiebreak to fall down 3-0. Came back to win 5,3, and 6 (the latter two in intense 2nd-set tiebreaks) to tie the match 3-3.

When attention turned to singles 4, it was on serve 4-3 in the 3rd set. We broke to go up 5-3, and then Tennessee rallied to win 4 games in a row and win the match.

The match got real chippy too, which made it all the more entertaining. Not sure why exactly- maybe it's just Tennessee's nature, maybe it's because the match was so close, maybe it's because there was a pretty sizable, loud crowd that's on top of the players, maybe its all of the above, but it was very chippy. Tennessee's coach stopped matches multiple times to complain to the chair umpire about calls and crowd noise. Most of Tennessee's players were pretty loud after big points. In the final match, some of the students were giving the Tennessee player somewhat of a hard time, in a reasonable way. Example: Tennessee player doubled faulted twice in the game where he was broken, so when he was serving for the match, one of the kids said loudly between points, "Man I'd be really nervous serving now," or something to that effect. Tennessee player stopped the match to complain to the chair umpire about it. After winning the next point, he went right over to the kid and they did not exactly exchange pleasantries (the part I overheard from the Vol was "fuck you faggot," for example). After winning match point, the Tennessee player dropped his racket and yelled in the direction of the students in the stands. Zero attempt to shake hands with the Wake player. One of the potentially bad things about the tennis facility is that the opposing players leaving the court pretty much have to interact with the Wake fans. I didn't hear anything from the Wake fans (obviously, since we lost), but a bunch of the Tennessee players were pretty excited to talk that ish. My favorite comment was "Wow, this place really gets quiet after a loss!" I wanted to make a "is this your first win? act like you've been there before" type comment, but I thought better of it.

tldr We basically tied a top 15 team, and SEC tennis players are not perfect gentleman.

That was one of the more entertaining sporting events I've been to (seriously). If you haven't been to the new tennis facility, you really should try to check it out. I was very impressed.

We lost singles 1 on a 2nd set tiebreak to fall down 3-0. Came back to win 5,3, and 6 (the latter two in intense 2nd-set tiebreaks) to tie the match 3-3.

When attention turned to singles 4, it was on serve 4-3 in the 3rd set. We broke to go up 5-3, and then Tennessee rallied to win 4 games in a row and win the match.

The match got real chippy too, which made it all the more entertaining. Not sure why exactly- maybe it's just Tennessee's nature, maybe it's because the match was so close, maybe it's because there was a pretty sizable, loud crowd that's on top of the players, maybe its all of the above, but it was very chippy. Tennessee's coach stopped matches multiple times to complain to the chair umpire about calls and crowd noise. Most of Tennessee's players were pretty loud after big points. In the final match, some of the students were giving the Tennessee player somewhat of a hard time, in a reasonable way. Example: Tennessee player doubled faulted twice in the game where he was broken, so when he was serving for the match, one of the kids said loudly between points, "Man I'd be really nervous serving now," or something to that effect. Tennessee player stopped the match to complain to the chair umpire about it. After winning the next point, he went right over to the kid and they did not exactly exchange pleasantries (the part I overheard from the Vol was "fuck you faggot," for example). After winning match point, the Tennessee player dropped his racket and yelled in the direction of the students in the stands. Zero attempt to shake hands with the Wake player. One of the potentially bad things about the tennis facility is that the opposing players leaving the court pretty much have to interact with the Wake fans. I didn't hear anything from the Wake fans (obviously, since we lost), but a bunch of the Tennessee players were pretty excited to talk that ish. My favorite comment was "Wow, this place really gets quiet after a loss!" I wanted to make a "is this your first win? act like you've been there before" type comment, but I thought better of it.

tldr We basically tied a top 15 team, and SEC tennis players are not perfect gentleman.
Spot on. Tennessee players hooked our guys many times throughout the match. One in particular: during the #2 doubles match, a lob by a Wake player landed about 4 inches in but was called out by the Tennessee player. The Wake fans booed the obvious call and he turned to us and said "the ball was long blind people". Some blame goes to the chair for not having the balls to overturn it, but I wasn't at all impressed with Tennessee's sportsmanship.

Also, their coach wore what looked like a bowling shirt. So you know he was a douche.

College tennis matches typically have great atmospheres. Awesome spectator sport when the crowd gets into it.

fights and cheating is the norm in college tennis.

I was wearing Wake gear at Disney and had a father of a college tennis player start a conversation with me. He basically said that we have one of the top coaches in the country right now. If he makes it to a kid's livingroom, then it is game, set, and match. This guy's son basically went to Baylor instead of Wake (feared lack of playing time) and has since transferred to tOSU to be closer to home.

Basically, this guy seemed to know his stuff was was gushing over Wake's program. Really wished his son had gone there.

fights and cheating is the norm in college tennis.
It is. To be honest and fair though, cheating or hooking is pretty common at most levels of tennis where there is no line judge.

College tennis matches typically have great atmospheres. Awesome spectator sport when the crowd gets into it.

That was my experience going to matches at the old outdoor facility on campus. Our players would get super pumped up. There was always quite a bit of yelling, so was stonz describes doesn't surprise me at all.

I wish I had known this sooner. Will definitely be going back later this year. Especially since we're good now.

I was wearing Wake gear at Disney and had a father of a college tennis player start a conversation with me. He basically said that we have one of the top coaches in the country right now. If he makes it to a kid's livingroom, then it is game, set, and match. This guy's son basically went to Baylor instead of Wake (feared lack of playing time) and has since transferred to tOSU to be closer to home.

Basically, this guy seemed to know his stuff was was gushing over Wake's program. Really wished his son had gone there.

Yea I read about him a little bit this afternoon because I was absolutely shocked when I saw him at the match. He looks like he's maybe 25. From his WF bio, sounds like he's early 30s. Basically:
-Was an assistant at national powerhouse UVA for 8 years. Won an award as the nation's top assistant coach.
-Took HC job at Cornell. Brought in a top 10 recruiting class. Led them to the Ivy League title, and their best season in school history, in his one year.
-Now in his second year at Wake. Brought in one of the best recruiting classes in the country this past year. Team is off to their best start since 2007 this year.

Hope he stays here for a while. Seemed much more professional than Tennessee's coach. Unquestionably a star recruiter.

Back