• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's tennis

I had no idea this was an option. I would think it's highly unlikely, but if it were to happen we would be absolutely loaded.

I guess if he hasn't signed with an agent or sponsors then he may still be eligible because you are allowed to accept money for your expenses as an amateur and he has only won $20k or so this year. I'm sure his actual expenses are much higher than that

It is so unbelievably hypocritical for the NCAA to allow earnings in one sport and not another one.

Why not? All NCAA athletes can accept prize money for events as long as it only covers costs. They made it simpler for tennis due to the nature of the sport. It would be burdensome to have to keep track of expenses that you are incurring just about every day, for a relatively little amount of prize money (10k). Anything above that you have to document your costs.

Why not? All NCAA athletes can accept prize money for events as long as it only covers costs. They made it simpler for tennis due to the nature of the sport. It would be burdensome to have to keep track of expenses that you are incurring just about every day, for a relatively little amount of prize money (10k). Anything above that you have to document your costs.

In thinking this through, this makes sense

Rubin is in the final of a challenger tournament being played in Charlottesville.

Rubin is in the final of a challenger tournament being played in Charlottesville.

Great tournament for him. He plays another 19-year old American in the final - a win would put him in great position to get the Australian Open wild card. Either way he will be in the top 400 on Monday, a new career high

On a side note: the U.S. has a great crop of young players coming up right now. American tennis should be fun to watch in the next five years

Rubin won the challenger today. It was the first all American teenage men's final since 1938. Rubin was down 6-3, 5-1 and came back to win 6-4 in the third. Awesome result for him. He's a gamer.

Rubin won the challenger today. It was the first all American teenage men's final since 1938. Rubin was down 6-3, 5-1 and came back to win 6-4 in the third. Awesome result for him. He's a gamer.

Wow. Total opposite of some of his more recent finals. Good for him.

Rubin's win today supposedly ends the speculation that he will return to Wake in the spring according to the tennis blogger that brought up the possibilty in the first place.

Rubin's win today supposedly ends the speculation that he will return to Wake in the spring according to the tennis blogger that brought up the possibilty in the first place.

Yeah, I mean he's going to be around ~300 in the world when the new rankings come out tomorrow. People that high don't play college tennis. Plus, the win puts him in pole position for the the USTA's wild card into the Australian Open, which would conflict with Wake's season.

Also good on Noah for winning the tournament, but pretty crazy that he only had to beat one player ranked in the top 200 in eight matches. For whatever reason, the field for this Challenger wasn't that deep (ranking cutoff for entry was #380, normal ranking cutoff for a Challenger is usually around #250-280)

Last edited:
Article on the current crop of young American players from 538: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/american-men-may-be-about-to-dominate-world-tennis-again/
I'm not sure why they left Rubin out of the equation. In a year and a half, he's won Wimbledon Jrs., Kalamazoo, and a Challenger event, which is more significant accomplishments than any of the other players mentioned. And he was a match away from an NCAA championship.

Side note: it's interesting that Brad Gilbert singles out Mmoh and Tiafoe as "the athletic ones."

Article on the current crop of young American players from 538: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/american-men-may-be-about-to-dominate-world-tennis-again/
I'm not sure why they left Rubin out of the equation. In a year and a half, he's won Wimbledon Jrs., Kalamazoo, and a Challenger event, which is more significant accomplishments than any of the other players mentioned. And he was a match away from an NCAA championship.

Side note: it's interesting that Brad Gilbert singles out Mmoh and Tiafoe as "the athletic ones."

Thanks for the article.

Rubin is close to earning an Australian Open wildcard. There is only one American that could pass him, and he needs to win the Champaign, IL Challenger tourney to do so.

All racial stereotypes aside, having seen Tiafoe play in person a number of times, the guy is super athletic. If he gets his mental game down, he is going to be a real good tennis player

Fritz lost today, so Rubin gets the Australian Open wildcard.

Fritz lost today, so Rubin gets the Australian Open wildcard.

Huge for him. Definitely don't think he's at the level yet where he will be able to win a main draw match, but stranger things have happened. Either way the experience will be good

Back