Page 19 of 534 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969119519 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Nice! I signed up for that a few weeks ago, can't wait. Hope I don't blow a hamstring on the 100m part.

So my first half marathon is in the books!! Ran the OC Half Marathon on Sunday....unbelievable course. Started out in Newport Beach, ran down through the town, than up the ocean for about 4 miles, then along the canal and over in to Costa Mesa. Breathtaking.

Ran a 1:51:06. Very happy with that. My first mile was 9:22, though. Didn't realize how hard it is to get 10,000 runners off and running. The first .75 was simply a mass of humanity shoving along. I had a hard time getting through and getting some space to run.

Can't wait for my next one!

rolling quads since 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by iodeac View Post
    Nice! I signed up for that a few weeks ago, can't wait. Hope I don't blow a hamstring on the 100m part.
    yeah, after New River I'll be buckling into training for Ultimate Runner (consecutively with training for San Fran Marathon). Right now I don't even have a clear grasp on how far some of those distances are. I haven't run on a track in probably 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach O View Post
    So my first half marathon is in the books!! Ran the OC Half Marathon on Sunday....unbelievable course. Started out in Newport Beach, ran down through the town, than up the ocean for about 4 miles, then along the canal and over in to Costa Mesa. Breathtaking.

Ran a 1:51:06. Very happy with that. My first mile was 9:22, though. Didn't realize how hard it is to get 10,000 runners off and running. The first .75 was simply a mass of humanity shoving along. I had a hard time getting through and getting some space to run.

Can't wait for my next one!
    congrats on the race! sounds beautiful.

starts of big races are always chaotic. it can be fun to run the big races but starting them never is. at least it usually keeps me from starting out too fast.

do you already have your next one picked out?

Quote Originally Posted by RollTheQuad06 View Post
    yeah, after New River I'll be buckling into training for Ultimate Runner (consecutively with training for San Fran Marathon). Right now I don't even have a clear grasp on how far some of those distances are. I haven't run on a track in probably 8 years.

congrats on the race! sounds beautiful.

starts of big races are always chaotic. it can be fun to run the big races but starting them never is. at least it usually keeps me from starting out too fast.

do you already have your next one picked out?
    My buddy is trying VERY hard to talk me in to the San Fran Marathon....I have run 2 10k's at Golden Gate Park, and it is hilly. (Duh. It's San Francisco!). So I don't know if that is the best track for me to do my first marathon, but I do feel that now is as good a time as ever, considering I trained my arse off for this half....

after such an awful race this weekend, i decided that i was going back to my old tried-and-true track workout tonight. 800s have always been my favorite track workout, and i needed a serious confidence boost. i did 8x800 tonight, and they felt AWESOME. they were also by far the fastest i've ever done 800s. i feel immensely better, after spending the last two months feeling pretty consistently discouraged. i really needed that tonight.

Our Blue Ridge Relay team in Gastonia just had a runner drop out. We're looking to fill one spot and I figured I would post something here. Our team is mixed between faster/slower runners and it's non-competitive so there's really no pressure to run fast. Any takers?

io, i'm assuming y'all don't have any alternates? you may want to have a list of possible alternates. just people who will agree to leave that weekend open. since blue ridge is in the middle of marathon season, you tend to have people get injured right before the race. we had 4 alternates last year, went through ALL of them, and had to pull in two people who weren't alternates the week of the race. this year we're doing 4 alternates again.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigScreaminDemon View Post
    What are 8X800's?
    ha, no need for the couch!

800s are half-miles (800 meters). i did 8 of them. so 8x800

Quote Originally Posted by DeacHoops View Post
    io, i'm assuming y'all don't have any alternates? you may want to have a list of possible alternates. just people who will agree to leave that weekend open. since blue ridge is in the middle of marathon season, you tend to have people get injured right before the race. we had 4 alternates last year, went through ALL of them, and had to pull in two people who weren't alternates the week of the race. this year we're doing 4 alternates again.
    Yikes, thanks. Our original runner dropped out and we had an alternate lined up, and we just found out today he couldn't commit to it, so we're back to square one. We have a separate Facebook page setup for our running group so I'm so we'll be able to find someone soon.

Yikes, thanks. Our original runner dropped out and we had an alternate lined up, and we just found out today he couldn't commit to it, so we're back to square one. We have a separate Facebook page setup for our running group so I'm so we'll be able to find someone soon.
    BTW I'm pretty sure I saw you Saturday night but you were talking to some other people at the time. We left around 10-ish and went to Big Daddy's but I'm glad there was such a good turnout.

Run/walk 2.5 mi....embarrassed and ashamed of myself but it is a start.

Usually you jog a lap or take a minute or so to recover.

rolling quads since 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by slothrop View Post
    don't be embarrassed or ashamed! you are out there. Good work! (but without the wink part, just the thumbs up)

rolling quads since 2002
    Our Blue Ridge Relay team in Gastonia just had a runner drop out. We're looking to fill one spot and I figured I would post something here. Our team is mixed between faster/slower runners and it's non-competitive so there's really no pressure to run fast. Any takers?
    it'll be fun you get to be on a team with io & mrs. io and yours truly!!!

Nothing wrong with that. I was having a hard time doing that much in January and have gotten up to a solid 60 minutes of jogging several times a week. If you rush into trying to go long distances real quick, you are going to get burnt out and frustrated real quick.

Punishingly Intricate
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigScreaminDemon View Post
    Do you rest in between, if so, for how long?
    my recovery periods during interval training sessions depend on the length of interval i am running. For example, for 400 meter repeats, i recover with a 200 meter jog. for other distances:

800 meters: recover for half the interval time
    1000 meters: 400 meter jog
    1200 meters: half of interval time, ridiculously slow recovery jog
    1600 meters: same as 1200's
    2000 meters: 800 recovery, also ridiculously slow

osd, i generally do recovery of half of the distance of whatever interval i'm doing. so last night i jogged 400 meter recovery (granted, most of the time the "jogging" ended up being walking, or beginning with walking then turning into jogging once i was breathing normally again). when i do 400s, i do 200 recovery. with miles, i haven't yet figured out how much i want my recovery to be. i feel like it should be 800s to mirror the rest of my workouts, but 800s just seem like a loooooooong recovery. then again, 400 recovery doesn't seem long enough.

Today's run was:
    - 1 mile run
    - 1/4 mi walk
    - 1/4 mi run
    - 1/4 mi walk
    - 1/4 mi sprint

Kind of making up my own plan to get me to my 5k in June, but will follow the real plan after that to prepare for the half in Oct. At least that's two days in a row. Tomorrow is going to be an ab, stretch, 30 min stationary bike so I can make sure and not push myself impact-wise too early.

Today's run was:
    - 1 mile run
    - 1/4 mi walk
    - 1/4 mi run
    - 1/4 mi walk
    - 1/4 mi sprint

Kind of making up my own plan to get me to my 5k in June, but will follow the real plan after that to prepare for the half in Oct. At least that's two days in a row. Tomorrow is going to be an ab, stretch, 30 min stationary bike so I can make sure and not push myself impact-wise too early.

Sloth - have you looked at the couch to 5k running plan? You could easily skip the first few steps since you are obviously in better shape than the "couch," but it's a decent build up. From there, there are some good programs to build up to the half (although I'm sure a lot fo folks here may be even more helpful)

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

i need to work on speed, though it's too late for my tri in 2 weeks. right now, i count on downhills.... i'm pretty sure that's not how it works.... and unfortunately (but also good), the tri course is TOTALLY flat.