Page 7 of 534 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757107507 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 10668

Thread: The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

  1. #121
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake4estMike View Post
    I see that there are still a few spots left in the Tarheel 10-miler this weekend in Chapel Hill. Has anybody done it before?
    I was tempted since Wake runners get special black & gold bibs, but I decided against it - I need to run longer this weekend, and save some $$.

    Quote Originally Posted by iodeac View Post
    Run it 2 weeks before the marathon. Run 10 as your long run the week before and you'll be all set for May 7.
    Hmm. Maybe I'll try 20 milers for both weekends (4 wks out, 2 wks out).

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by iodeac View Post
    I would never run anything with the phrase "Tar Heel" in it. Ever.
    I would have run it in wake gear and crop dusted as much as possible.

  3. #123
    Carnal Decadence
    HeavyPetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    13,015
    Bought some new Brooks Ravennas at Charlotte Running Co today.

  4. #124
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyPetter View Post
    Bought some new Brooks Ravennas at Charlotte Running Co today.
    yay for Brooks! I bought a pair of the Brooks Trance last night. My last 2 pairs of shoes have been Nike but I'm back to the Trance this go-round.


  5. #125
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'd say I have about 300 miles on my current shoes. I'm going to look into getting a new pair soon. I'm a big fan of Nike's so that's probably what I'll go with again.

  6. #126
    How many miles do a pair of good shoes generally last? I just bought a pair of asics and i've gotten 60 miles on them already.

  7. #127
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Deac2010 View Post
    How many miles do a pair of good shoes generally last? I just bought a pair of asics and i've gotten 60 miles on them already.
    It really depends on what you are comfortable with. Some people replace them every 300 miles and others ever 600miles. I'd go on a case by case basis.

    What you are really looking out for is the cushioning wearing out or the tread wearing down.

  8. #128
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    Bit the bullet and signed up for a 5k on 5/22/11.

    Here's to breaking 20 in my first race in almost 2 years..

  9. #129
    Just want to go on record in saying calf compression sleeves are money.

  10. #130
    ...
    Last edited by lbE08; 04-05-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: edit: wrong thread

  11. #131
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Deac2010 View Post
    How many miles do a pair of good shoes generally last? I just bought a pair of asics and i've gotten 60 miles on them already.
    Personally, I start to feel a pain in my high ankle/low shin area that tells me I need new shoes. Generally I go 400-500 miles, but I've had some not last as long.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by lbE08 View Post
    Just want to go on record in saying calf compression sleeves are money.
    Go on....?

  13. #133
    Punishingly Intricate
    DeacHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WINSTON-SALEM
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by lbE08 View Post
    Just want to go on record in saying calf compression sleeves are money.
    i have compression socks on my list of things to buy for running related purchases. probably order them this weekend.

    not happy about this wind out there but gotta get my fartlek on after work

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHawk View Post
    i have compression socks on my list of things to buy for running related purchases. probably order them this weekend.

    not happy about this wind out there but gotta get my fartlek on after work
    The Gaston Running group is having their first speedwork session at 6 PM tonight at the SouthPoint track if you're interested. Apparently it's an instructional period followed by a track session. I usually do my speedwork with the CRC group, otherwise I would go.

  15. #135
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHawk View Post
    i have compression socks on my list of things to buy for running related purchases. probably order them this weekend.

    not happy about this wind out there but gotta get my fartlek on after work
    I have heard that these things don't really do anything. Whats your rationale behind getting them? Just curious

  16. #136
    Punishingly Intricate
    DeacHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WINSTON-SALEM
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by TWDeac View Post
    I have heard that these things don't really do anything. Whats your rationale behind getting them? Just curious
    i plan to use them as a recovery tool, not to wear while running. i've heard some reviews from some other runners that were favorable. also, with marathon training my mileage is going to go way higher than it has before so i'd like to aid in recovery for that

    finally, after a few long runs this training cycle i'll have to sit in my car for long periods of time so having that recovery aid during those trips will be good

    of course they may not work at all but at least then i'll mentally think they are helping

  17. #137
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHawk View Post
    i plan to use them as a recovery tool, not to wear while running. i've heard some reviews from some other runners that were favorable. also, with marathon training my mileage is going to go way higher than it has before so i'd like to aid in recovery for that

    finally, after a few long runs this training cycle i'll have to sit in my car for long periods of time so having that recovery aid during those trips will be good

    of course they may not work at all but at least then i'll mentally think they are helping
    Ah ok, yeah this is probably the way to use them. I think thye help in recovery much more than during runs.

  18. #138
    on the topic of compression sleeves/socks: the stuff i have read generally says the sleeves are useless (except for the mental boost), but the socks are legit. i don't have any idea why one would work and the other one would not, but that's what i've read. for what it's worth, i've worn the sleeves before, but i use them for warmth when the temperatures are in between pants/shorts weather.

    and twdeac, i'm going to disagree with you on watching for the shoes and the tread wearing out. if you're putting in any real mileage at all, the tread will not wear down at all before the shoes are shot. most of the time mine still look brand spanking new when it's time to retire them. it's all about the cushioning. mine usually last 400-500ish, but my body lets me know when it's time to replace them.

  19. #139
    Did this today. One of my wife's friends got me to go. I was not looking forward to it because part of why I run is to have some alone time. it was a lot of fun though.

    http://www.treadfitness.com/index.ph...w=article&id=2

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHoops View Post
    on the topic of compression sleeves/socks: the stuff i have read generally says the sleeves are useless (except for the mental boost), but the socks are legit. i don't have any idea why one would work and the other one would not, but that's what i've read. for what it's worth, i've worn the sleeves before, but i use them for warmth when the temperatures are in between pants/shorts weather.

    and twdeac, i'm going to disagree with you on watching for the shoes and the tread wearing out. if you're putting in any real mileage at all, the tread will not wear down at all before the shoes are shot. most of the time mine still look brand spanking new when it's time to retire them. it's all about the cushioning. mine usually last 400-500ish, but my body lets me know when it's time to replace them.
    what shoes do you where? I'm lucky to get 300 miles, but being a guy I'm sure I weigh considerably more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •