Page 8 of 535 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858108508 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 10681

Thread: The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

  1. #141
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    Surprise long run tonight for me! I went out on my own for about 6 miles, and when I was nearly done, ran into two friends of mine who were about to start 5 miles of their own. I decided to join them, ended up running 11.25 tonight. Pretty sure that's my longest weekday run ever. Really felt good out there.

    not sure it was the wisest to go that long in my brand new shoes, but what's done is done.

  2. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by 61raddeac View Post
    what shoes do you where? I'm lucky to get 300 miles, but being a guy I'm sure I weigh considerably more.
    i wear new balance for my training shoes. the shoes are heavy as anything, with an absurd amount of support (i have knee pain issues because of being a long distance hiker), which is likely why they last longer than yours. my racing shoes don't last that long.

    i also weigh 125, so that is likely a bit of a difference.

  3. #143
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHoops View Post
    on the topic of compression sleeves/socks: the stuff i have read generally says the sleeves are useless (except for the mental boost), but the socks are legit. i don't have any idea why one would work and the other one would not, but that's what i've read. for what it's worth, i've worn the sleeves before, but i use them for warmth when the temperatures are in between pants/shorts weather.

    and twdeac, i'm going to disagree with you on watching for the shoes and the tread wearing out. if you're putting in any real mileage at all, the tread will not wear down at all before the shoes are shot. most of the time mine still look brand spanking new when it's time to retire them. it's all about the cushioning. mine usually last 400-500ish, but my body lets me know when it's time to replace them.
    I've been running(and racing) in some fashion for the past 15 years. Every pair of shoes that I have ever worn has shown some pretty noticeable tread wear by the time they have needed replaced. Granted, we aren't talking a lack of any tread at all, but its still noticeable

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHoops View Post
    i wear new balance for my training shoes. the shoes are heavy as anything, with an absurd amount of support (i have knee pain issues because of being a long distance hiker), which is likely why they last longer than yours. my racing shoes don't last that long.

    i also weigh 125, so that is likely a bit of a difference.
    6-2 190 wearing kayanos until I switched to nimbus. Hit 197 miles onthenimbus today. Not feeling the wear. Like you I go with the body telling when to switch

  5. #145
    for me w/ the compression sleeves; i don't know if it's mental or not but after my last brick, my lower legs felt fresh as a daisy. also had no recovery issues the next day.
    I could tell a real difference coming off the bike and going into the run in that my legs did not feel like they were made of lead and I was able to get up to speed (and maintain) throughout the run.
    one thing i've read (in favor of wearing them during the activity) is that they keep your muscles from physically moving around too much while you're going so there's less wear and tear on your muscles in that regard. blood flow, etc, are also supposedly better.
    shrug. again, mental or not i'll continue to use them... though i do feel a little tool-ish.

    edit to add: I have the 2XU calf sleeves. I considered the socks, but I'm really partial to my smartwools.

  6. #146
    I can't wear the calf compression sleeves while running--only for recovery and I think that's more mental. I must have some circulation issues because my feet almost always go numb around miles 6-8 (tightness of the laces doesn't seem to be an issue). If I'm wearing compression sleeves, they start to go numb around 4.

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake4estMike View Post
    I can't wear the calf compression sleeves while running--only for recovery and I think that's more mental. I must have some circulation issues because my feet almost always go numb around miles 6-8 (tightness of the laces doesn't seem to be an issue). If I'm wearing compression sleeves, they start to go numb around 4.
    this is interesting, because i have renaud's really badly (circulation issues) and since wearing the sleeves, i've had no numbness/discoloration. hmm.

  8. #148
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    I think I need to return the new shoes I bought on Monday. I've gone for 2 runs in them so far (11+ and 3+ miles) and have a nice blister to show for it. Obviously the shoe is rubbing wrong against my pinky toe.

    I hope Fleet Feet won't think that's too many miles to have put on them.

  9. #149
    Punishingly Intricate
    DeacHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WINSTON-SALEM
    Posts
    8,888
    not taking them back after 2 runs would be mucho lame-o in my opinion

  10. #150
    checking in over here, 11 days until boston... not my most consistent training cycle, mutiple hampering injuries caused me to cut my mileage by about 40% but still feel pretty good, strangely not nervous at the moment. We shall see if the Run Less Run Faster/FIRST method works for me.

  11. #151
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBoeheim View Post
    checking in over here, 11 days until boston... not my most consistent training cycle, mutiple hampering injuries caused me to cut my mileage by about 40% but still feel pretty good, strangely not nervous at the moment. We shall see if the Run Less Run Faster/FIRST method works for me.
    Awesome! You'll have to keep us up to date on your progress towards the date.

    I have some 800s to run tonight. I've always liked doing speedwork.

  12. #152
    Punishingly Intricate
    DeacHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WINSTON-SALEM
    Posts
    8,888
    @JB, keep us updated on how Boston goes

    @TW, i did 800's this morning, thought I was missing my splits but they ended up in the range I wanted to be in. Definitely feeling it by the last few (7 total)

  13. #153
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHawk View Post
    @JB, keep us updated on how Boston goes

    @TW, i did 800's this morning, thought I was missing my splits but they ended up in the range I wanted to be in. Definitely feeling it by the last few (7 total)
    I think I have 4 @ 3:15 planned with 400m jogs in between.

  14. #154
    Cut a little over a minute off of my PR time at our Thursday course in Dilworth. 4.44 miles in 34:10, down from 35:14 in February. I'm definitely feeling a lot faster this year and I REALLY hope I can break 4 hours on May 7th.

  15. #155
    Punishingly Intricate
    DeacHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WINSTON-SALEM
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by iodeac View Post
    Cut a little over a minute off of my PR time at our Thursday course in Dilworth. 4.44 miles in 34:10, down from 35:14 in February. I'm definitely feeling a lot faster this year and I REALLY hope I can break 4 hours on May 7th.
    Tempo run?

  16. #156
    Just our normal route that I've been running for about 3 years. It starts at Charlotte Running Company and goes through Dilworth. I usually just try to run it as fast as I can, it's a really hilly course.

  17. #157
    ran 11.5 at mcmullen this morning. other than some trees across the path from the storms, it was relatively clear. i was expecting some flooded trails, but they were nowhere to be seen. i kept up under an 8:30 pace, despite obviously having to slow down (really stop dead) to crawl across one downed tree, so i feel decent about the possibility of a PR at the new river half.

  18. #158
    Hoops, where are you staying? Mrs I/O signed up for the New River half yesterday and we booked a room in Jefferson, which is only about 15 miles away. I'm pretty relieved that rooms were still available considering it's graduation weekend at App State.

    I had a dream last night that I was running the Racefest half and there were all these obstacles in the way that slowed me down. I think I'm worried that all my work so far won't pay off on Saturday and I'll have a bad race. I ran a 1:47:56 PR at Thunder Road and I really want to run faster than that on Saturday.

  19. #159
    umm, i'm thinking about being super cheap and trying to find a place where i can just throw up my tent for the night.
    Last edited by DeacHoops; 04-10-2011 at 01:31 PM.

  20. #160
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHoops View Post
    umm, i'm thinking about being super cheap and trying to find a place where i can just throw up my tent for the night.
    Good idea. I'm really not sure what my friends and I are doing for lodging for New River. Maybe we'll camp too. I need to talk to them, pronto.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •