• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Surprise long run tonight for me! I went out on my own for about 6 miles, and when I was nearly done, ran into two friends of mine who were about to start 5 miles of their own. I decided to join them, ended up running 11.25 tonight. Pretty sure that's my longest weekday run ever. Really felt good out there. :)

not sure it was the wisest to go that long in my brand new shoes, but what's done is done.

what shoes do you where? I'm lucky to get 300 miles, but being a guy I'm sure I weigh considerably more.

i wear new balance for my training shoes. the shoes are heavy as anything, with an absurd amount of support (i have knee pain issues because of being a long distance hiker), which is likely why they last longer than yours. my racing shoes don't last that long.

i also weigh 125, so that is likely a bit of a difference.

on the topic of compression sleeves/socks: the stuff i have read generally says the sleeves are useless (except for the mental boost), but the socks are legit. i don't have any idea why one would work and the other one would not, but that's what i've read. for what it's worth, i've worn the sleeves before, but i use them for warmth when the temperatures are in between pants/shorts weather.

and twdeac, i'm going to disagree with you on watching for the shoes and the tread wearing out. if you're putting in any real mileage at all, the tread will not wear down at all before the shoes are shot. most of the time mine still look brand spanking new when it's time to retire them. it's all about the cushioning. mine usually last 400-500ish, but my body lets me know when it's time to replace them.

I've been running(and racing) in some fashion for the past 15 years. Every pair of shoes that I have ever worn has shown some pretty noticeable tread wear by the time they have needed replaced. Granted, we aren't talking a lack of any tread at all, but its still noticeable

i wear new balance for my training shoes. the shoes are heavy as anything, with an absurd amount of support (i have knee pain issues because of being a long distance hiker), which is likely why they last longer than yours. my racing shoes don't last that long.

i also weigh 125, so that is likely a bit of a difference.

6-2 190 wearing kayanos until I switched to nimbus. Hit 197 miles onthenimbus today. Not feeling the wear. Like you I go with the body telling when to switch

for me w/ the compression sleeves; i don't know if it's mental or not but after my last brick, my lower legs felt fresh as a daisy. also had no recovery issues the next day.
I could tell a real difference coming off the bike and going into the run in that my legs did not feel like they were made of lead and I was able to get up to speed (and maintain) throughout the run.
one thing i've read (in favor of wearing them during the activity) is that they keep your muscles from physically moving around too much while you're going so there's less wear and tear on your muscles in that regard. blood flow, etc, are also supposedly better.
shrug. again, mental or not i'll continue to use them... though i do feel a little tool-ish.

edit to add: I have the 2XU calf sleeves. I considered the socks, but I'm really partial to my smartwools.

I can't wear the calf compression sleeves while running--only for recovery and I think that's more mental. I must have some circulation issues because my feet almost always go numb around miles 6-8 (tightness of the laces doesn't seem to be an issue). If I'm wearing compression sleeves, they start to go numb around 4.

I can't wear the calf compression sleeves while running--only for recovery and I think that's more mental. I must have some circulation issues because my feet almost always go numb around miles 6-8 (tightness of the laces doesn't seem to be an issue). If I'm wearing compression sleeves, they start to go numb around 4.

this is interesting, because i have renaud's really badly (circulation issues) and since wearing the sleeves, i've had no numbness/discoloration. hmm.

:( I think I need to return the new shoes I bought on Monday. I've gone for 2 runs in them so far (11+ and 3+ miles) and have a nice blister to show for it. Obviously the shoe is rubbing wrong against my pinky toe.

I hope Fleet Feet won't think that's too many miles to have put on them.

checking in over here, 11 days until boston... not my most consistent training cycle, mutiple hampering injuries caused me to cut my mileage by about 40% but still feel pretty good, strangely not nervous at the moment. We shall see if the Run Less Run Faster/FIRST method works for me.

checking in over here, 11 days until boston... not my most consistent training cycle, mutiple hampering injuries caused me to cut my mileage by about 40% but still feel pretty good, strangely not nervous at the moment. We shall see if the Run Less Run Faster/FIRST method works for me.

Awesome! You'll have to keep us up to date on your progress towards the date.

I have some 800s to run tonight. I've always liked doing speedwork.

@JB, keep us updated on how Boston goes

@TW, i did 800's this morning, thought I was missing my splits but they ended up in the range I wanted to be in. Definitely feeling it by the last few (7 total)

@JB, keep us updated on how Boston goes

@TW, i did 800's this morning, thought I was missing my splits but they ended up in the range I wanted to be in. Definitely feeling it by the last few (7 total)

I think I have 4 @ 3:15 planned with 400m jogs in between.

Cut a little over a minute off of my PR time at our Thursday course in Dilworth. 4.44 miles in 34:10, down from 35:14 in February. I'm definitely feeling a lot faster this year and I REALLY hope I can break 4 hours on May 7th.

Cut a little over a minute off of my PR time at our Thursday course in Dilworth. 4.44 miles in 34:10, down from 35:14 in February. I'm definitely feeling a lot faster this year and I REALLY hope I can break 4 hours on May 7th.

Tempo run?

Just our normal route that I've been running for about 3 years. It starts at Charlotte Running Company and goes through Dilworth. I usually just try to run it as fast as I can, it's a really hilly course.

ran 11.5 at mcmullen this morning. other than some trees across the path from the storms, it was relatively clear. i was expecting some flooded trails, but they were nowhere to be seen. i kept up under an 8:30 pace, despite obviously having to slow down (really stop dead) to crawl across one downed tree, so i feel decent about the possibility of a PR at the new river half.

Hoops, where are you staying? Mrs I/O signed up for the New River half yesterday and we booked a room in Jefferson, which is only about 15 miles away. I'm pretty relieved that rooms were still available considering it's graduation weekend at App State.

I had a dream last night that I was running the Racefest half and there were all these obstacles in the way that slowed me down. I think I'm worried that all my work so far won't pay off on Saturday and I'll have a bad race. I ran a 1:47:56 PR at Thunder Road and I really want to run faster than that on Saturday.

umm, i'm thinking about being super cheap and trying to find a place where i can just throw up my tent for the night. :noidea:

Last edited:
umm, i'm thinking about being super cheap and trying to find a place where i can just throw up my tent for the night. :noidea:

Good idea. I'm really not sure what my friends and I are doing for lodging for New River. Maybe we'll camp too. I need to talk to them, pronto.

Back