• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Sloth - have you looked at the couch to 5k running plan? You could easily skip the first few steps since you are obviously in better shape than the "couch," but it's a decent build up. From there, there are some good programs to build up to the half (although I'm sure a lot fo folks here may be even more helpful)

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I actually did read that--I'm kind of modifying a few things. I'm 1-2 weeks from straight being fine for the 5k, but I want to build up my speed a bit, and make sure I don't get any bad shin splints or aggravate my ankle which has always been a problem since football in high school. Much apprec man.

since i'm running the new river half this weekend, i'm taking it really easy for a couple of days. slow, and only a couple of miles each day. i could barely force myself out of bed for a quick 3 mile run this morning, but once i did, the weather was amazing. under 40 degrees. crisp. ahhhhhh. if the weather could be like this all year (chilly in the morning, warm in the afternoon), i would be in heaven.

Alright runners I guess I should start posting on here. I've been real lazy the last couple months and finally signed up for a 15K to get my ass motivated. Its July 16th in Charlotte at the Whitewater Center.

I did a little online research and found this training plan online:

http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/15Knovsch.htm

And it seems to be legit. I've started running this week but won't start the plan till next week. Wish me luck, I'll keep you crazy active people updated.

since i'm running the new river half this weekend, i'm taking it really easy for a couple of days. slow, and only a couple of miles each day. i could barely force myself out of bed for a quick 3 mile run this morning, but once i did, the weather was amazing. under 40 degrees. crisp. ahhhhhh. if the weather could be like this all year (chilly in the morning, warm in the afternoon), i would be in heaven.

I forgot/didn't know you were running New River! See you Saturday. :)

Alright runners I guess I should start posting on here. I've been real lazy the last couple months and finally signed up for a 15K to get my ass motivated. Its July 16th in Charlotte at the Whitewater Center.

I did a little online research and found this training plan online:

http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/15Knovsch.htm

And it seems to be legit. I've started running this week but won't start the plan till next week. Wish me luck, I'll keep you crazy active people updated.

I ran that 15k last year. It was fun but definitely tough!
And Hal Higdon is a boss. Good luck!

I forgot/didn't know you were running New River! See you Saturday. :)

I forgot too. There are a bunch of people I know going up for this one so I'm really excited about running it.

I looked at the forecast and it looks like a high of 67, low of 49, so conditions should be nearly perfect. It's going to be hard not running at all today and tomorrow.

/QUOTE]

I forgot too. There are a bunch of people I know going up for this one so I'm really excited about running it.

I looked at the forecast and it looks like a high of 67, low of 49, so conditions should be nearly perfect. It's going to be hard not running at all today and tomorrow.

One of the guys I've been training with during midweek runs, for his first half, pretty likely isn't going to be able to make it due to a family illness, which I'm really bummed about, but I'm excited to see other folks I know there! And get to meet some of the Gaston Runners too.

And yes... the weather looks really perfect right now.

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out my next race and wanted your opinion.

I'm really considering the Wilmington Battleship Half Marathon since it's convenient for me. The main problem is that living at the beach I don't really do hills at all and this involves three different large bridges. (When I say I don't do hills, I really don't have any inclines of any significance on any of my runs.) I would really have to change my training up and incorporate hills, but there is a running group here that does that every Tuesday - do you think that one day a week is enough, while trying to do a few more inclines on my longer runs?

The other option is the Rock and Roll Half in Savannah on Nov 5, should be fun, but it will definitely be more expensive because of having to get a hotel, travel, etc. What do you guys think?

One of the guys I've been training with during midweek runs, for his first half, pretty likely isn't going to be able to make it due to a family illness, which I'm really bummed about, but I'm excited to see other folks I know there! And get to meet some of the Gaston Runners too.

And yes... the weather looks really perfect right now.

Hey RTQ, are you using an Ipod/mp3 player on Saturday? Christina asked me the other day if I was and I hadn't given it much thought before then. I never run races with music but this race will definitely be a little quieter than the marathons I've run before.

are you allowed to have music in marathons? you get penalties in tris if you wear headphones.

I don't think you are technically, but I've never seen it enforced.

Hey RTQ, are you using an Ipod/mp3 player on Saturday? Christina asked me the other day if I was and I hadn't given it much thought before then. I never run races with music but this race will definitely be a little quieter than the marathons I've run before.

Yes, I plan on listening to my ipod. I usually do though, so it's not a change for me, but this is definitely going to be a small field and quiet course.

are you allowed to have music in marathons? you get penalties in tris if you wear headphones.

"Road Runners Club of America and USA Track and Field recommend against using headphones while running." Some races still say it's not allowed but no penalties, unless maybe you are a leader/potential winner.

wait, really? why?

So am I in any risk of being DQ'd or not allowed to run in the Rock 'n Roll in St. Louis if I wear my headphones?

Also, how long do you need to rest/recover inbetween halves? I want to run the Wilm one too, but it's a month after my other one and don't want to screw myself up.

wait, really? why?

So am I in any risk of being DQ'd or not allowed to run in the Rock 'n Roll in St. Louis if I wear my headphones?

Also, how long do you need to rest/recover inbetween halves? I want to run the Wilm one too, but it's a month after my other one and don't want to screw myself up.

A month should be plenty of time between half-marathons. I've run half-marathons on consecutive Saturdays and I know RTQ once did the same thing with 2 marathons, it probably just depends on your mileage base at the time. I wouldn't worry about being DQ'ed, it's not like someone is going to rush onto the course and tackle you Switzer-style just because you're wearing headphones.

most of the time headphones are just "not recommended." they're not going to do anything about it. but if you wear headphones, be courteous. don't put the music so loud that you don't hear people coming up behind you. be aware of your surroundings.

in the ones where they outright tell you NO headphones, i tend to not push my luck. it's usually for a reason (you need to be able to hear the race officials). and i don't usually care strongly one way or the other, so i just abide by the rules.

wait, really? why?

no, you won't be disqualified.
and yes a month should be enough time.

A month should be plenty of time between half-marathons. I've run half-marathons on consecutive Saturdays and I know RTQ once did the same thing with 2 marathons, it probably just depends on your mileage base at the time. I wouldn't worry about being DQ'ed, it's not like someone is going to rush onto the course and tackle you Switzer-style just because you're wearing headphones.

I ran half marathons on Saturday and Sunday of the same weekend before. My two closest marathons had a weekend off in between them, but I am considering running Saturday-Sunday marathons this fall.

most of the time headphones are just "not recommended." they're not going to do anything about it. but if you wear headphones, be courteous. don't put the music so loud that you don't hear people coming up behind you. be aware of your surroundings.

in the ones where they outright tell you NO headphones, i tend to not push my luck. it's usually for a reason (you need to be able to hear the race officials). and i don't usually care strongly one way or the other, so i just abide by the rules.

okay yeah where they REALLY stress no headphones, I don't wear them. It's just a liability thing in most cases. I'd say never wear headphones during a trail race though.

I have real trouble with my pace without headphones in general; do you just try to find someone running at a pace that is comfortable, or is there another trick that works?

I'll bump this since RTQ, Hoops and I had a great day at the New River Marathon. I didn't break the 4-hour goal I wanted, but I still managed to come away with a 17-minute PR and finish in 4:03. The course was a lot harder than I imagined, there were two climbs around the 16-mile mark that were really steep, and the downhill afterward took a lot out of me too. The course itself was really pretty and I thought they did a pretty good job considering it was only the first year!

ok, pit. at the start of 2011, i made a goal of breaking 1:40 in the half this year. i planned on having two shots at it: the new river half (this past weekend), and the thunder road half in november. i wasn't actually going to shoot for 1:40 this weekend, but i just wanted to PR (current record = 1:44:01) and convince myself that i could break 1:40 in november.

well, i didn't even come CLOSE to a PR this weekend. the course was a hell of a lot harder than advertised, and i just died. so now i have one shot at improving by over 4 minutes. i don't like the idea of all of my eggs being in one basket, especially a "basket" as difficult as a charlotte half. i'd like to find a flat half marathon sometime between september and november (but preferably not october, as my marathon is in late october and i don't want to screw up that training). any suggestions on an easy course that's within driving distance of charlotte?

Back