• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Worst 5k ever this morning. It was an inaugural memorial race for a young boy who died from Leukemia. First, no offense to the poor kid, but his face printed large on the race shirt is not exactly something I plan on wearing.

The start and finish lines were unclear and I still don't know where exactly it started or ended. I only knew it was time to start running when everyone else started - no announcements that I heard.

My sister said the water stops had ~24 oz styrofoam cups.

At the finish "area" (whether it was a finish line or not), there was nobody collecting the tear tags from our numbers. So pretty much no times were recorded. There were a bunch of teenagers out there with clipboards looking for the winners of the age groups (1st-5th grade, 6th-8th grade, 9th-12th grade, 19-49 yrs, 49+) and didn't seem to even understand when I asked if they needed my number/tear tag thing.

Well - the REAL important thing is there were almost 900 people out there so a lot of money was raised for the Children's National Medical Center. So it was a good fundraiser but a poorly planned race.

the bridge part of the cooper river bridge run is no joke! that hill kicked my butt this morning. the mile that had the majority of the hill was an entire 30 seconds slower than my next slowest mile. it hurt. a lot. BUT i was able to get a 10k PR. it was 5 seconds faster than the fastest 10K i had previously done...however, the fastest 10K i had previously done was the first 10K of a half marathon. it was almost a minute faster than my 10K PR in an actual 10K race.

@RTQ - that's definitely frustrating.
@DeacHoops - 1. incredible mileage last month. 2. way to go on the 10k!

Volunteered at the Umstead 100mi Endurance Run this morning. I sat at a turn-around point for 4 hours, and saw one guy (granted, he was the leader) come by 3 times. It was a 12.5 mi. loop, so at that pace he was running 4 4-hr marathons today. The race record is 15some hours. Holy balls. There were other people there who were truckin' along just fine, but DAMN. 100mi. They have 30 hours to complete the race... that's a whole level of insane that I can't comprehend.

In other news, picked up some 2XU calf compression sleeves tonight- will be testing them out shortly at the gym.

Ran the Cherry Blossom 10 miler this AM.

1:07:33 unofficial time

It was cold and I never got loose. I was disappointed with the feeling but the result was decent.

wow, that's an incredible time.

Mileage tally for March 2011 is 141, huge step up from January/February

the bridge part of the cooper river bridge run is no joke! that hill kicked my butt this morning. the mile that had the majority of the hill was an entire 30 seconds slower than my next slowest mile. it hurt. a lot. BUT i was able to get a 10k PR. it was 5 seconds faster than the fastest 10K i had previously done...however, the fastest 10K i had previously done was the first 10K of a half marathon. it was almost a minute faster than my 10K PR in an actual 10K race.

SOOOO jealous that you got to do this race. I <3 charleston and have done this with my dad in the past few years. This year I had a lame law school obligation that prevented me from going. Congrats on the PR!

It kicked my butt too! I wasn't expecting to take as long to get to the crest of the bridge as it did. That mile was a full 40-45 seconds slower than my next slowest. I thought that the race was exceptionally well organized and the corrals worked great for the most. I got a new PR too and heard lots of "Go Deacs" from the spectators. Today my shins are killing me though!

It kicked my butt too! I wasn't expecting to take as long to get to the crest of the bridge as it did. That mile was a full 40-45 seconds slower than my next slowest. I thought that the race was exceptionally well organized and the corrals worked great for the most. I got a new PR too and heard lots of "Go Deacs" from the spectators. Today my shins are killing me though!

no joke! such a long hill. and with the wind gusts, i honestly thought i'd never get to the top.

First run in a week and a half - been lazy lately.

4 x 800m, 8 min/mile pace on the interval, 400m "rest" at about 16:30-17:00/mile, so about 1:1.25 work/rest.

I've done that race about ten times, but only twice on the new bridge. I like the one hump bridge over the old two hump bridge. The corrals are new this year I think.

I didn't run this year but my wife ran her first 10K yesterday at age 41 while I ran the shuttle and took care of kids.

Sounds like a bunch of folks had great runs and races this weekend - good work all!

Anyone want to give some training advice?

My next marathon is May 7. Most training plans have the (last) 20-miler 3 weeks out from the race date. 3 weeks before the marathon is my sister's wedding. I'm maid of honor and will be out of town for a 4-day weekend, and seriously doubt I will find/make the time to run a 20-miler with all the wedding obligations.

My training as of late has been shoddy (this is getting to be standard... not good) so I haven't done other 20-milers this training cycle.

Would you recommend I run my 20 miler this weekend, 4 weeks before the marathon, or the weekend after the wedding, 2 weeks before the marathon? Or both, I guess.

any possible way you can take off from work a couple hours early on the thursday before heading up to MD? Or come in late the following tuesday? (I don't really know what good this would do as opposed to just doing it a different week completely, as I've never trained for a marathon... but just a thought).

Sounds like a bunch of folks had great runs and races this weekend - good work all!

Anyone want to give some training advice?

My next marathon is May 7. Most training plans have the (last) 20-miler 3 weeks out from the race date. 3 weeks before the marathon is my sister's wedding. I'm maid of honor and will be out of town for a 4-day weekend, and seriously doubt I will find/make the time to run a 20-miler with all the wedding obligations.

My training as of late has been shoddy (this is getting to be standard... not good) so I haven't done other 20-milers this training cycle.

Would you recommend I run my 20 miler this weekend, 4 weeks before the marathon, or the weekend after the wedding, 2 weeks before the marathon? Or both, I guess.

RTQ I am no expert on marathon training but I would approach this as getting the 20 miler in 4 weeks out, trying to have a somewhat solid week of runs 3 weeks out, and then have a good taper. a 20 miler 2 weeks out may be a little too much so close to race day

any possible way you can take off from work a couple hours early on the thursday before heading up to MD? Or come in late the following tuesday? (I don't really know what good this would do as opposed to just doing it a different week completely, as I've never trained for a marathon... but just a thought).

Understandable suggestions, but I am not sure I could do a 20-miler late in the day (nutrition-wise), or get going early enough to run for 3.5+ hours and still go to work afterwards.

RTQ I am no expert on marathon training but I would approach this as getting the 20 miler in 4 weeks out, trying to have a somewhat solid week of runs 3 weeks out, and then have a good taper. a 20 miler 2 weeks out may be a little too much so close to race day

that's probably the best plan. now I just need to psych myself up to do 20 this weekend.

If I CAN make time to run on wedding weekend, all the better, but I know planning for it would be planning to fail.

I see that there are still a few spots left in the Tarheel 10-miler this weekend in Chapel Hill. Has anybody done it before?

Run it 2 weeks before the marathon. Run 10 as your long run the week before and you'll be all set for May 7.

I would never run anything with the phrase "Tar Heel" in it. Ever.

Back