• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I've never been over to MD. I live 1 mile from JCSU so when they are closed I'm hard pressed to motivate to go to another track. It happens pretty rarely though. Playing with the puppy was very nice.

I'm also in for the whole GPx series so I will be out at Skyline. Hoping for some cooler and less humid weather!

Jersey, puppy time sounds fun. :)

Hoops - good luck with the 5k! Don't let one workout discourage you.

I went out for a pre-work run this morning for the first time in ages. It was a little tough to roll myself out of bed, but I'm so glad I did.

I've never been over to MD. I live 1 mile from JCSU so when they are closed I'm hard pressed to motivate to go to another track. It happens pretty rarely though. Playing with the puppy was very nice.

I'm also in for the whole GPx series so I will be out at Skyline. Hoping for some cooler and less humid weather!

see, i'm 1 mile from marion diehl. the only reason we go up to jcsu is that it's just SO much nicer of a track. but it's definitely not nearly as convenient for me.

and no kidding on the less humid weather. i went out for just a few miles this morning. like quite seriously, just 3 miles. and it was slooooooooow (intentionally...those mile repeats did me in last night). i came home completely soaking wet. this humidity is going to kill me.

see you saturday!

What are peoples' thoughts on running while stuffed? It's not down in my lungs/chest, it's just a head cold, and most of what I've read says that it wouldn't HURT me to run/work out (because it's all still in my head, if it goes south to lungs then give it a rest).
Normally I would welcome the rest days but I'm in a critical time with regards to my tri and really need to get my workouts in this week/weekend.

i run when sick unless i have a fever. actually, even then i usually try to run. it just doesn't usually go very well. also, i suppose i took off a few days when i had a stomach bug. i kept trying to run, and every time i would feel like i was going to throw up again. so i quit.

i follow the rule for being sick that if it's above the shoulders, then you are good to go running

did 5 x 1200 intervals this morning. glad the storms had passed so i could get the run in predawn. really windy out there but good times. considering how much i despise 1000 meter intervals, these weren't all that bad.

a friend of mine needed to do a tempo run tonight (5x4 minute with 2 minute rest), so i told him i'd do it with him. his tempo right now is about 8. one of the intervals was a little slow, but the last one we did at a 7:45 pace (full disclosure: it was mostly downhill), so i feel like we made up for it.

however, i looked at my desk calendar today. i thought i was racing the next 3 weekends (5k, half, 5k). turns out, i am racing the next FOUR weekends (5k, half, 5k, 5k). i had no idea the fourth weekend was a racing weekend. i'm a little concerned with how my legs are going to hold up through all of this.

You'll be fine, you can recover during the week in time to race hard the next weekend. Make sure I get to say hi to you on Saturday night, me and a few people from our Thursday group are all coming together around 7-ish.

On another note, I'm extremely tempted to either run the Skyline 5K this weekend or the Cherry Blossom 5K in Cherryville, just to see if I've improved any since February (I'm pretty sure I have)

Just ordered a pair of Asics DS Racers for an upcoming 10K. Anyone tried these deals before?

Bump for the weekend. What's everyone got going on? I have 18 on the schedule for tomorrow.

skyline 5k in the morning. it is absolutely mind-boggling to me, but i can run half marathons with minimal nerves (i originally included full marathons in that...but that's a lie. i was seriously nervous before my last full). yet i had serious anxiety today over this 5k. i think i am just not made for speed, and the idea of having to keep a relatively fast (for me) speed for 3 miles is a lot more scary to me than keeping 8s for 13 miles.

then long run on sunday. probably just 13ish. my last long run before a half next weekend. based on my training, i'm actually expecting to PR at the half, yet none of my long runs have exceeded 12.5, which is pretty unusual for me. we're about to see which is more effective for me: training fast for shorter distances, or training slow for longer distances.

Set a new 5K PR this morning by over a minute, time of 21:27 in Cherryville. First in my age group even though the field wasn't that big. Still, I'm pretty pumped about winning the award as well as the huge decrease in time from my last PR back in February! So pumped for the CRC social tonight too.

Set a new 5K PR this morning by over a minute, time of 21:27 in Cherryville. First in my age group even though the field wasn't that big. Still, I'm pretty pumped about winning the award as well as the huge decrease in time from my last PR back in February! So pumped for the CRC social tonight too.

awesome job io! congrats!

weather this morning was just great. I went out for 10, a bit farther than my training plans say, but I'll survive. Ran with my friend who is doing his first half at New River next week, this was his longest run yet.

Nice...I'm really looking forward to New River next weekend. Several of the BRR group are heading up for that race, so maybe you'll get to meet a few of them at some point.

18 miles done, bam. so pumped to knock out 20 next weekend (Friday actually)

my calves tightened up like crazy after, i looked like a damn fool in the store buying Gatorade but whatevs, they feel better now although it's going to be a compression sock wearing kind of day

Happy Saturday everybody. nice work IO btw.

Damn damn damn. I'm signed up to do a 10k with my pops next weekend but now he can't go because he forgot he agreed to speak at some shitty departmental graduation at ECU. Trying to decide if I should just go it alone or wait and find another one to do later on in the summer.

skyline 5k in the morning. it is absolutely mind-boggling to me, but i can run half marathons with minimal nerves.

That is most likely because 5ks are a lot more difficult tactically. If you start off poorly in a half, you have ten miles to correct your mistake.

That is most likely because 5ks are a lot more difficult tactically. If you start off poorly in a half, you have ten miles to correct your mistake.

true. and you're the third person who has had to convince me of how difficult 5ks are today. because i just bombed the hell out of skyline. absolutely horrible. i actually walked in the middle of it. i mean, holy crap. 3 miles. i haven't had a single training run that was that short in months. and yet i couldn't make it through 3 miles at race pace. i am so frustrated with myself right now.

true. and you're the third person who has had to convince me of how difficult 5ks are today. because i just bombed the hell out of skyline. absolutely horrible. i actually walked in the middle of it. i mean, holy crap. 3 miles. i haven't had a single training run that was that short in months. and yet i couldn't make it through 3 miles at race pace. i am so frustrated with myself right now.

I read your post about Skyline, sorry to hear that it was so awful. Don't beat yourself up too badly considering it was your first one, and I'm sure we all have gone out too fast before in a race and paid for it later. Just sign up for another one and redeem yourself :D

I read your post about Skyline, sorry to hear that it was so awful. Don't beat yourself up too badly considering it was your first one, and I'm sure we all have gone out too fast before in a race and paid for it later. Just sign up for another one and redeem yourself :D

well i'm still doing grand prix. so i have one week off (and by "off" i mean i'm running a half marathon instead of a 5k), then two weeks of 5ks. so i can get payback. assuming i can learn how to freaking race a 5k during the next two weeks.

Back