• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I'm finally back running again after about a year break from my last marathon. It is so much easier now that it is nice outside.

I can still maintain a 7:30 pace pretty easily. I'm relieved. I'm going to get my mileage up and enter in some 5ks here soon. I'd like to get down to around 19min by May.

Am I crazy or have those 13.1 and 26.2 vanity bumper stickers come out of the woodwork in the past month? Never saw them before, but now I see at least one a day. Thought it was going to be something cancer related but I looked it up and they are for runners, half marathon and full marathon.

One of my neighbors has a 13.1 sticker on his car (a long with a bunch of other hippie-related stickers about beef is evil and don't kill your enemies). Its the only one I've noticed, but I'm sure I'll start seeing them now.

I just finished running; 2.46 miles in 20 minutes, quite an improvement over last week. I hate hills though, I lose so much time on them.

they are ALL OVER THE PLACE in the triangle area (Cary, specifically).

the only ones that will ever earn a place on my car are 70.3 or 140.6 (half ironman or full ironman triathlon).

Anyone enjoy trail running? i've been running the trails here in GSO a bit and it's so much more fun than pounding the pavement.

Planning on the Warrior Dash in Huntersville at end of summer.

I have fun trail running. Very different experience than running on the roads. I run Salem Lake all the time for training, but as for real, technical trails, I only run those during races. Otherwise I'm sure I'd end up hopelessly lost in the woods!

I see 13.1 and 26.2 stickers all the time. It's amusing to see how every car in the parking lot for races has at least one. I don't think I'll put either of those on my car, but I had "run." on my old car. Will probably buy a new "run." sticker for my new car, which is totally without decoration at the moment.

Anybody else running the Flying Pirate Half Marathon in a couple weeks? RTQ? I know how much you liked those pirate guys last year

In some sort of inebriation a few nights ago, a group of friends decided it would be a good idea to have a "parroty" sticker, such as 3.1 with the silhouette of a fat guy bent over gasping for breath, or 1.something with a fat guy smoking a cigarette. I thought it was clever at the time.

So I guess I'm looking for a new race to put on my schedule so I can keep focus. Any suggestions? I don't really know if I want to put the training in for a full marathon. I think I could do it, but I don't know if I want to. Any good halfs that are not super expensive to get to but really worth doing? Or a full that would inspire me enough to actually work through the training?

I'm not running Flying Pirate again, but it was a fun race last year. Be warned for the last section on mulch, it makes for a tough finish.

So I guess I'm looking for a new race to put on my schedule so I can keep focus. Any suggestions? I don't really know if I want to put the training in for a full marathon. I think I could do it, but I don't know if I want to. Any good halfs that are not super expensive to get to but really worth doing? Or a full that would inspire me enough to actually work through the training?

There are a few Deacs including IODeac and me, who are running the New River Marathon on May 7. They have a half marathon too. Not sure where you're coming from, but if it's in NC then travel there shouldn't be too expensive, and the entry fee is quite reasonable. It's a first year race but looks like it will be pretty.

Maybe that's too soon for you though, not sure how far out on your calendar you're thinking.

I feel so out of shape.

I switched to Asics but am still having some arch hurt. I've only run in them 3-4 times. Is it just the new shoes or does running suck?

why'd you switch to asics? did someone tell you to?

i put a lot of eggs in the 'get evaluated' basket.

why'd you switch to asics? did someone tell you to?

i put a lot of eggs in the 'get evaluated' basket.

Well, I have flat feet. So I went online and found that I needed shoes that would support my arch. I went to a running store (none of that dicks sporting goods or foot locker bullshit) and got fitted with Asics GT 2150. They reviews online said this would help my flat feet, but so far, I don't see much of a difference in the pain while I run.

There are a few Deacs including IODeac and me, who are running the New River Marathon on May 7. They have a half marathon too. Not sure where you're coming from, but if it's in NC then travel there shouldn't be too expensive, and the entry fee is quite reasonable. It's a first year race but looks like it will be pretty.

Maybe that's too soon for you though, not sure how far out on your calendar you're thinking.

Holy ish, that's a lot of hills. Maybe I should restrict my search to flat places haha. I live in Wilmington so the Wrightsville Beach half probably changed 30 ft the whole race. Aka, i'm a wuss.

I will never understand the whole barefoot/vibrams craze, but thought I'd mention that a guy raced barefoot in the slow heat of the 3k at the home meet last weekend. Ran 9:20 something which isn't smoking, but barefooted it ain't bad. tracks hurt even in trainers.

I don't know that I would ever run in the Vibrams, but when I have more disposable income I plan to get a pair. I tried them on and walked around at REI and really liked them; I think they would possibly make good, light weight shoes to wear in camp while backpacking.

I just ran a 10k for the first time in my life!

I know that's small oranges for a lot of you but it busted my previous best of 5mi by quite a bit.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(I'm pretty pumped about it)

Back