• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Also, who wants to fess up to knowing whose awesome 0.0 "sticker" this is...

scaled.php

hahahahahaha. i wish i could claim that sticker. that's awesome.

sorry about your knees :(

Been rocking some Vibram Five Fingers (on the pavement!) after having all sorts of odd issues with my legs (from unexplained crapping out, to this odd sharp pain on the side of my knee that would just disappear and then only show up 2-3 miles in, to most recently this weird numbness/slight sensation loss) and it has rocked so far.

Reading all about them (and Born to Run) just clicked with me on a number of different levels, so I gave it a shot. I know it is recommended that one ease in to hard surface running, but after an initial soreness after my first run, I haven't had any other issues other than just feeling like my whole body is more connected, an I'm working different muscles in a different way -- a good way.

I'm sure I look like a dork (some might ask how this is different than usual) but whatever. I'm more in touch with the earth now, mannnnnnnn...

Been rocking some Vibram Five Fingers (on the pavement!) after having all sorts of odd issues with my legs (from unexplained crapping out, to this odd sharp pain on the side of my knee that would just disappear and then only show up 2-3 miles in, to most recently this weird numbness/slight sensation loss) and it has rocked so far.

I have some 5 fingers that I've worn only once. I will definitely have to wear them for the next few runs just to try it out. That very well may be my problem.

dear 70 degree temps at 5 am, go to hell, seriously, i need at least 2 more weeks of 50 degree mornings, not quite ready for this heat

cut my 6 mile tempo run short today, just didn't have it mentally to be running at all. no worries though

Reading all about them (and Born to Run) just clicked with me on a number of different levels, so I gave it a shot. I know it is recommended that one ease in to hard surface running, but after an initial soreness after my first run, I haven't had any other issues other than just feeling like my whole body is more connected, an I'm working different muscles in a different way -- a good way.

I'm sure I look like a dork (some might ask how this is different than usual) but whatever. I'm more in touch with the earth now, mannnnnnnn...

I still need to get a pair of these. I'd be interested to see how they work for me.

hawk, i'm with you. for the most part, i've still been able to maintain my distance (sunday was the exception...cut a 12 mile run down to 7. ugh). but my speed is taking a serious beating. i went out for a 7 miler yesterday, and expected to feel pretty good since it's following up 3 relatively easy days and i felt fresh. but i couldn't for the life of me average under 8:45. usually i'm good for something closer to 8:15-8:30. it sucks to feel so slow.

however, this is the first year where i have been comfortable enough with my size to run in a sports bra. this is a VERY welcome change. it's helping a lot to not have to wear a shirt. of course now we get a lot more yells from the passing cars, but whatever. if it keeps me from overheating, i'll do it.

hawk, i'm with you. for the most part, i've still been able to maintain my distance (sunday was the exception...cut a 12 mile run down to 7. ugh). but my speed is taking a serious beating. i went out for a 7 miler yesterday, and expected to feel pretty good since it's following up 3 relatively easy days and i felt fresh. but i couldn't for the life of me average under 8:45. usually i'm good for something closer to 8:15-8:30. it sucks to feel so slow.

however, this is the first year where i have been comfortable enough with my size to run in a sports bra. this is a VERY welcome change. it's helping a lot to not have to wear a shirt. of course now we get a lot more yells from the passing cars, but whatever. if it keeps me from overheating, i'll do it.

I feel you. Sunday's run was miserable. What would normally have been 8:00 pace turned into 8:16 at the end. No good. The heat and humidity are just starting to ramp up around here. I can't wait till I get adjusted to it.

I've definitely also been struggling to keep up speed in the humidity. Couple that with a taper for my marathon next week and I'm not feeling great about my running. Tapering always makes me uneasy.

Awesome that you're now comfortable enough to skip the shirt! I am not there yet, and don't expect to ever be, but I daydream about it on hot runs.

rtq, solution for you! get a stomach bug, lose 6 pounds in two days, somehow manage to keep it off. solved! you can now run in a sports bra :)

hey, it worked for me ;)

rtq, solution for you! get a stomach bug, lose 6 pounds in two days, somehow manage to keep it off. solved! you can now run in a sports bra :)

hey, it worked for me ;)

haha. make it 10 lbs and then we're talking. maybe I'll have some raw chicken for dinner, or seek out non-A-rated restaurants...

haha. make it 10 lbs and then we're talking. maybe I'll have some raw chicken for dinner, or seek out non-A-rated restaurants...

i called a friend the other day when he was in the middle of preparing lunch. he goes "i'm trying to decide if i want to use chicken that's beyond it's expiration date." now, i'm NOT normally one who goes strictly by expiration dates. but meat is my exception. it just seems like too big of a risk to use expired meat. and i told him so. he had just gotten back from vacation, and he goes "well, i put on some weight this week. so i figure, if it IS bad, then i'll be sick and it'll help me to drop that weight. if it's not, then sweet, i just had a good lunch."

ewwwwwwwww.

i called a friend the other day when he was in the middle of preparing lunch. he goes "i'm trying to decide if i want to use chicken that's beyond it's expiration date." now, i'm NOT normally one who goes strictly by expiration dates. but meat is my exception. it just seems like too big of a risk to use expired meat. and i told him so. he had just gotten back from vacation, and he goes "well, i put on some weight this week. so i figure, if it IS bad, then i'll be sick and it'll help me to drop that weight. if it's not, then sweet, i just had a good lunch."

ewwwwwwwww.

Fuuu that. Has he ever had food poisoning? Definitely not worth it to lose any amt. of weight IMO.

Hoops are you going to the social this weekend? I thought about it but I hardly know anybody aside from you and a few others.

Don't even joke about this. Worst experience of my life. I would negrep you, but I don't have the heart.

Hoops are you going to the social this weekend? I thought about it but I hardly know anybody aside from you and a few others.

yeah, i am. one of my closest running buddies is the one who planned it, so i kind of have to :). regardless, i'm pretty excited about it, but i also know a good number of people who will be there.

i am not quite to where i'm w/out a shirt, but my shirts are getting smaller and smaller. i sweat like a crazy person, and lately running w/ a shirt on feels like running in my down jacket; completely smothering and constricting. i might just say screw it today and go w/out... i certainly won't be the WORST looking person who's ever done it.

i am not quite to where i'm w/out a shirt, but my shirts are getting smaller and smaller. i sweat like a crazy person, and lately running w/ a shirt on feels like running in my down jacket; completely smothering and constricting. i might just say screw it today and go w/out... i certainly won't be the WORST looking person who's ever done it.

woah, if i can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it. you're absolutely smaller than i am.

woah, if i can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it. you're absolutely smaller than i am.

I've seen your running pictures. We carry things differently. And I'm very conscious of how running shorts/skirts bands cut in at the most inopportune place on my whole body. I don't mind how I look in general, but Not a fan of how running stuff fits.

I've seen your running pictures. We carry things differently. And I'm very conscious of how running shorts/skirts bands cut in at the most inopportune place on my whole body. I don't mind how I look in general, but Not a fan of how running stuff fits.

ha, yes. i definitely understand those sentiments. the top of my shorts hit at a pretty miserable point for me. but oh well. it's still better than dying in the heat.

Back