• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

also, monthly mileage for april: 181. not really close to the 200 that i had wanted. but i'm still not actually training for my marathon, so maybe i'll make it to 200 once i am truly training.

April mileage at 150, which is a new high for me, gotta love the big mileage with marathon training

Pit female runners - my wife has been having some pretty bad chafing issues "down there" ... what are you wearing that works for you under your shorts?

Pit female runners - my wife has been having some pretty bad chafing issues "down there" ... what are you wearing that works for you under your shorts?

ugh, that sounds awful.

I wear running shorts with the built in briefs (therefore no need for additional underwear), from Adidas, New Balance, Nike, lululemon and Brooks. No chafing issues with those for me.

I've heard good things about these Nike shorts with built in compression shorts, as well as just plain compression shorts, there are lots of different lengths to choose from for those.

yeah, i have the same issue w/ only built-in briefs... i much prefer built-in shorties (compression shorts). these are pretty much standard in running skirts (if she likes those- i do); otherwise, just running in more of a compression short or spandex-y short is probably her best bet.

...or using something like BodyGlide or ChamoisButter. BodyGlide is good stuff; basically teflon for the skin.

yeah, i recommend body glide. while i've never had issues "down there," i used to have issues on the inside of my upper legs. body glide took care of that.

oh- i was talking about inside of upper leg; i dunno about 'down there'.

oh- i was talking about inside of upper leg; i dunno about 'down there'.

maybe that's what he was asking about? i don't know. i don't group that in with what i consider "down there." they're my legs. and i've never heard of anybody having chafing issues "down there" but i just figured maybe it's something people have issues with but just don't talk about. :noidea:

just had a great run; was planning on my normal 3, but added on an extra mile at the end because i was feeling good. not my fastest pacing, but i felt good the whole time. given that i'm coming off a cold, i'll take it.

the weirdest thing is that i was breathing well the whole time, never felt like i was sucking wind... i looked down thinking 'surely my heart rate will be normal!' and my heart rate was 187. i guess that's just how i am.

just had a great run; was planning on my normal 3, but added on an extra mile at the end because i was feeling good. not my fastest pacing, but i felt good the whole time. given that i'm coming off a cold, i'll take it.

the weirdest thing is that i was breathing well the whole time, never felt like i was sucking wind... i looked down thinking 'surely my heart rate will be normal!' and my heart rate was 187. i guess that's just how i am.

lbe, do you wear something really different when you run versus when you bike? supposedly certain fabrics can screw up your HRM. i have a friend who consistently has a hrm show him that he's 220+, which is clearly not the case. it's because some of the tech fabrics can mess with it.

i don't know, maybe you're actually that high. but if you really don't FEEL like it, there could be something going wrong.

I just bought running shoes yesterday and went running this morning for the first time in over 5 years. I am seriously out of shape, but feel good this afternoon.

nope, i'll wear the same shirts for both activities. i should have a doctor's appt soon, i'll bring it up and see if she's concerned.

Okay guys--don't know where to begin. There's a half in October I want to run. I've never run a half before. I used to run 7-8 miles a day, but circumstances and laziness have put me in a rut. I want to get back into shape and start to build up stamina and endurance so that I can prepare for the race.

Do any of you have a pretty good program that I can either follow or tweak to work for me? Five months is plenty of time, but I want to make sure I do this right.

Okay guys--don't know where to begin. There's a half in October I want to run. I've never run a half before. I used to run 7-8 miles a day, but circumstances and laziness have put me in a rut. I want to get back into shape and start to build up stamina and endurance so that I can prepare for the race.

Do any of you have a pretty good program that I can either follow or tweak to work for me? Five months is plenty of time, but I want to make sure I do this right.

I've used Hal Higdon's training plans for all of my racing, from my first 5k all the way to my first (and subsequent) marathons.

Here is the half marathon novice training plan: linky. It's a 12 week plan, so you could repeat each week before moving to the next, to stretch it out.

Be sure to start slowly - don't go out thinking you can still run 7-8 miles right away. That's how injuries happen.

Good luck!

for my first couple halves, i followed hal higdon's training. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/

i really liked it, and he gives you the options of beginner/intermediate/advanced. i was really a beginner when i started, but followed the intermediate plan, and just altered it a little to my own liking. it worked out well. i don't follow a real plan anymore, but i still use the same sort of ideas that i learned from his plans.

Thanks!!! It's been a really rough year so far, and I need to just feel better in general and feel like I've accomplished something. I've always wanted to do this, and I can't make excuses anymore.

My usual marathon-week paranoia is out in full force. Feeling little twinges all over my legs and feet, making myself crazy thinking I might be injured somehow. I'll also be feverishly checking the forecast far too often.

I'm really excited for this weekend though. While I'm not actually expecting to PR and don't have a time goal in mind (just hoping not for another personal worst, like I got in February), I'm alternating between super confident that I'll unwittingly blow my PR out of the water, and just hoping not to get that "worst" again.

I'm worried because last Saturday I ran 10 miles way too fast and my right knee/hamstring has ached ever since. I'm not sure it it's an ITB band or what, but it doesnt seem to affect my running (yet). I set a 5K PR on Saturday and ran 7 miles yesterday and the pain never really affected my performance, but I'm freaking out about whether it will handle 26.2 on Saturday. I've put a ton of hard work into getting ready for this race and I can't believe I'd have something like this happen only a week or so out.

Just getting back to running after six weeks in a walking boot due to a dislocated pinky toe. I am ten pounds to heavy again and that little piggy aches something fierce after a run. But, there is only one way back and that is to just run through it. Six weeks to the beach and those ten pounds must be gone again.

io - I'm sure it's just your paranoia or nerves - maybe ice it a little if it would make you feel better.

dirtysouth - good luck getting back into the running

in other news I finally joined the Twin City Track Club today, and I'm going to sign up for Ultimate Runner soon too. :D

Back