• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

marathon training officially began today. nothing much to add but pumped to finally get going with it. looking forward to some insane speed sessions in the next few months

I HATE RUNNING!

Unfortunately, I can't get out of it due to the Army PT test. Today, after shamming out of running all last week, I did 4 x 800m, 8:00 min pace today. I walked 400m after each interval at a pace that was about 1:1.25 (work:rest) based on time.

My PT test goal is 14:15 or less in the 2 mile run, and I'd like to run a 5k this summer under 23:00, since I'm essentially forced to run. All very do-able if I can get through the mental hurdles.

As a side note, my knees hurt more when I run than when I'm strictly lifting weights, but enough of the bitching. Hopefully this thread can become a training log for me. Next run is Wednesday - 3 miles.

*fight urge to say something inappropriate about getting off your knees* what kind of shoes do you wear?

Ascics. I'm due for an upgrade, so the shoes may be contributing some to the knee pain.

I can only think of 4 good reasons for me to be running.

1 - Something is chasing me. Ex: gorilla, lava, ghost.
2 - I am chasing after something. Ex: bus, bandit, icecream truck.
3 - Getting to my car in the parking lot before everyone else.
4 - Getting to the toilet in time.

That pretty much exhausts my reasons to run.

Ascics. I'm due for an upgrade, so the shoes may be contributing some to the knee pain.

old shoes will definitely do it, i'd also highly recommend (as i'm sure others will as well) that if you've not already, go get evaluated and fit for a shoe that specifically goes w/ your stride and running style. Asics tend to have a really heavy cushion and lots of support, and not everyone needs that much support; it can actually throw off what your body naturally wants to do in-stride and knock your knees out of alignment as you run. :shrug:

old shoes will definitely do it, i'd also highly recommend (as i'm sure others will as well) that if you've not already, go get evaluated and fit for a shoe that specifically goes w/ your stride and running style. Asics tend to have a really heavy cushion and lots of support, and not everyone needs that much support; it can actually throw off what your body naturally wants to do in-stride and knock your knees out of alignment as you run. :shrug:

Yeah, I had these fitted based on a stride analysis and was convinced to get the inserts along with them.

Maybe I'll get some new shoes this week.

getting my running in is a lot easier when I am not out of town (what seems like) every freakin' weekend.

my life needs to slow down so my running can speed up.

Did any of the five fingers runners make their way over here?

My mileage has been decimated as I make the transition. I've been out four times with them on and each time I have done less.

Did any of the five fingers runners make their way over here?

My mileage has been decimated as I make the transition. I've been out four times with them on and each time I have done less.

don't be too discouraged. are you running on pavement or paths/grass? if the former, i would suggest a few runs on some paths/grass. what's keeping you from going farther?

I ran to Baskin & Robbins to pick up a mint chocolate chip in a waffle cone. Almost died of a heart attack. Not going to run anymore.

My first run was all pavement. I realized that was a terrible idea and am probably lucky that I didn't get injured. Since then I've been sticking to mostly grass.

My legs are just plain getting tired much quicker. I think I probably need to just stop running in shoes and just focus on five finger workouts.

I've also shortened my stride considerably which has messed with my breathing.

31 miles between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Might be time for a rest day.

My first run was all pavement. I realized that was a terrible idea and am probably lucky that I didn't get injured. Since then I've been sticking to mostly grass.

My legs are just plain getting tired much quicker. I think I probably need to just stop running in shoes and just focus on five finger workouts.

I've also shortened my stride considerably which has messed with my breathing.

yeah, you SHOULD be shortening your stride.
most runners run at a cadence of 130-150 beats per minute. with barefoot running shoes (fivefingers), you should be at 180. the idea is to get up on the balls of your feet and get your weight infront of you. the quicker rotation/faster stride and different muscle grouping will make you more tired at first, but once you get used to it it's amazing how effortless it can seem.

as for pacing yourself- find songs that have 180 beats per minute (bpm) and run to them or if you run with a "smart" device, find an app for a metronome and set it to 180 to help keep you from reverting back to a slower/longer stride.

First post on the new board!

Did my second half marathon yesterday at Wrightsville Beach. Wanted to pace at 8:00-8:05. Started out slow at the start due to heavy traffic but caught up by mile 1 to be right on pace. Between mile 2 and mile 2.5 I realized I was going to be able to bust it out. Ended up averaging 7:56/mile up until mile 7, held that pace until about mile 9/10, picked it up to around 7:45 and a 7:35 before finishing the last 1.1 strong. Ended up with a chip time of 1:43:01 (7:52/mile). Last year's half was 1:48:34 (8:18/mi) so I was quite pleased with the progress. Age group results aren't out yet but I'd say I'm in the top 15-20 of my age group so pretty happy with that too.

Only disappointment, I didn't catch Bill Rodgers (now age 63) who finished at 1:40:21. He's still going strong.

ugh terrible run today. 3.2mi/27min. not pleased. it was hot (which seems ridiculous bc it's only going to get hotter), and my ankles/knees were stiff. i need to do better at stretching every day.

Finished 6.5 today, it was a little weird when my foot started getting numb and I realized my shoelaces were too tight.

Did 3 miles this morning, held a 9'30" pace. I felt good physically, still need to break through the mental walls though.

First post on the new board!

Did my second half marathon yesterday at Wrightsville Beach. Wanted to pace at 8:00-8:05. Started out slow at the start due to heavy traffic but caught up by mile 1 to be right on pace. Between mile 2 and mile 2.5 I realized I was going to be able to bust it out. Ended up averaging 7:56/mile up until mile 7, held that pace until about mile 9/10, picked it up to around 7:45 and a 7:35 before finishing the last 1.1 strong. Ended up with a chip time of 1:43:01 (7:52/mile). Last year's half was 1:48:34 (8:18/mi) so I was quite pleased with the progress. Age group results aren't out yet but I'd say I'm in the top 15-20 of my age group so pretty happy with that too.

Only disappointment, I didn't catch Bill Rodgers (now age 63) who finished at 1:40:21. He's still going strong.

congrats on the great race!

Anyone enjoy trail running? i've been running the trails here in GSO a bit and it's so much more fun than pounding the pavement.

Planning on the Warrior Dash in Huntersville at end of summer.

I would run Salem Lake a few times a week when I was in college. I really enjoyed the trail running. It wasn't very rugged, but still nice.

Back