• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I see that there are still a few spots left in the Tarheel 10-miler this weekend in Chapel Hill. Has anybody done it before?

I was tempted since Wake runners get special black & gold bibs, but I decided against it - I need to run longer this weekend, and save some $$.

Run it 2 weeks before the marathon. Run 10 as your long run the week before and you'll be all set for May 7.

Hmm. Maybe I'll try 20 milers for both weekends (4 wks out, 2 wks out).

Bought some new Brooks Ravennas at Charlotte Running Co today.

yay for Brooks! I bought a pair of the Brooks Trance last night. My last 2 pairs of shoes have been Nike but I'm back to the Trance this go-round.

brooks_trance_10_women-300x238.jpg

I'd say I have about 300 miles on my current shoes. I'm going to look into getting a new pair soon. I'm a big fan of Nike's so that's probably what I'll go with again.

How many miles do a pair of good shoes generally last? I just bought a pair of asics and i've gotten 60 miles on them already.

How many miles do a pair of good shoes generally last? I just bought a pair of asics and i've gotten 60 miles on them already.

It really depends on what you are comfortable with. Some people replace them every 300 miles and others ever 600miles. I'd go on a case by case basis.

What you are really looking out for is the cushioning wearing out or the tread wearing down.

Bit the bullet and signed up for a 5k on 5/22/11.

Here's to breaking 20 in my first race in almost 2 years..

Just want to go on record in saying calf compression sleeves are money.

Last edited:

Personally, I start to feel a pain in my high ankle/low shin area that tells me I need new shoes. Generally I go 400-500 miles, but I've had some not last as long.

Just want to go on record in saying calf compression sleeves are money.

i have compression socks on my list of things to buy for running related purchases. probably order them this weekend.

not happy about this wind out there but gotta get my fartlek on after work

i have compression socks on my list of things to buy for running related purchases. probably order them this weekend.

The Gaston Running group is having their first speedwork session at 6 PM tonight at the SouthPoint track if you're interested. Apparently it's an instructional period followed by a track session. I usually do my speedwork with the CRC group, otherwise I would go.

I have heard that these things don't really do anything. Whats your rationale behind getting them? Just curious :)

I have heard that these things don't really do anything. Whats your rationale behind getting them? Just curious :)

i plan to use them as a recovery tool, not to wear while running. i've heard some reviews from some other runners that were favorable. also, with marathon training my mileage is going to go way higher than it has before so i'd like to aid in recovery for that

finally, after a few long runs this training cycle i'll have to sit in my car for long periods of time so having that recovery aid during those trips will be good

of course they may not work at all but at least then i'll mentally think they are helping :noidea:

i plan to use them as a recovery tool, not to wear while running. i've heard some reviews from some other runners that were favorable. also, with marathon training my mileage is going to go way higher than it has before so i'd like to aid in recovery for that

finally, after a few long runs this training cycle i'll have to sit in my car for long periods of time so having that recovery aid during those trips will be good

of course they may not work at all but at least then i'll mentally think they are helping :noidea:

Ah ok, yeah this is probably the way to use them. I think thye help in recovery much more than during runs.

on the topic of compression sleeves/socks: the stuff i have read generally says the sleeves are useless (except for the mental boost), but the socks are legit. i don't have any idea why one would work and the other one would not, but that's what i've read. for what it's worth, i've worn the sleeves before, but i use them for warmth when the temperatures are in between pants/shorts weather.

and twdeac, i'm going to disagree with you on watching for the shoes and the tread wearing out. if you're putting in any real mileage at all, the tread will not wear down at all before the shoes are shot. most of the time mine still look brand spanking new when it's time to retire them. it's all about the cushioning. mine usually last 400-500ish, but my body lets me know when it's time to replace them.

on the topic of compression sleeves/socks: the stuff i have read generally says the sleeves are useless (except for the mental boost), but the socks are legit. i don't have any idea why one would work and the other one would not, but that's what i've read. for what it's worth, i've worn the sleeves before, but i use them for warmth when the temperatures are in between pants/shorts weather.

and twdeac, i'm going to disagree with you on watching for the shoes and the tread wearing out. if you're putting in any real mileage at all, the tread will not wear down at all before the shoes are shot. most of the time mine still look brand spanking new when it's time to retire them. it's all about the cushioning. mine usually last 400-500ish, but my body lets me know when it's time to replace them.

what shoes do you where? I'm lucky to get 300 miles, but being a guy I'm sure I weigh considerably more.

Back