• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

i actually really needed that speech. not really in response to the track workout, because i recognize that that was mostly about the heat. but lately i've had a bunch of bad runs. so thanks, westend, i really appreciate it :)

i actually really needed that speech. not really in response to the track workout, because i recognize that that was mostly about the heat. but lately i've had a bunch of bad runs. so thanks, westend, i really appreciate it :)

Heat is a pretty big deal for me as well. I feel like when I first start the transition from cold winter running, to hot summer running, it takes a little bit to get used to the humidity and just the general shitty feeling your carry around with you while you are running.

It always leads to some subpar runs, but that is to be expected. We aren't running 2:04 marathons or 3:55 miles for a reason :p

So I am running my first half marathon next Sunday, May 1st. I need lots of positive thoughts/karma heading my way. Ran 7.5 miles last night, and will now start to taper. I just started running last June, and have done a tone of 5k's and 10k's, but this is my first attempt at 13.1

I have 3 goals for time....my stretch goal is 1:43. My "what I want to do" time is 1:47. My "this is the worst time I will accept" is 1:52. Feeling good and ready to roll!

ok pit, maybe i'm just setting too high of expectations for myself. and i admit i'm in all-new territory with running 5ks. but recently, it seems like people that i have ALWAYS been faster than are suddenly doing track workouts faster than i am, and racing 5ks (i actually race my first one next weekend, so i still don't know what to expect) at a time faster than i'm assuming i can race one. i'm getting frustrated that it seems as though i'm not getting faster. maybe i am and i just can't see it yet. but it really doesn't seem like it. my track workouts have stayed at about the same pace for the last few months. are there any good workouts you would recommend that would really help out my short distance speed? i still feel like i'm on par with the speed for my longer races, but i want to be faster at the short stuff too, and it just doesn't seem to be happening.

ok pit, maybe i'm just setting too high of expectations for myself. and i admit i'm in all-new territory with running 5ks. but recently, it seems like people that i have ALWAYS been faster than are suddenly doing track workouts faster than i am, and racing 5ks (i actually race my first one next weekend, so i still don't know what to expect) at a time faster than i'm assuming i can race one. i'm getting frustrated that it seems as though i'm not getting faster. maybe i am and i just can't see it yet. but it really doesn't seem like it. my track workouts have stayed at about the same pace for the last few months. are there any good workouts you would recommend that would really help out my short distance speed? i still feel like i'm on par with the speed for my longer races, but i want to be faster at the short stuff too, and it just doesn't seem to be happening.

How much speedwork do you do? 200s, 400s and to a lesser extent 800s?

There are a bunch of different things you can do with these distances. Ladders, intervals, etc..

So I am running my first half marathon next Sunday, May 1st. I need lots of positive thoughts/karma heading my way. Ran 7.5 miles last night, and will now start to taper. I just started running last June, and have done a tone of 5k's and 10k's, but this is my first attempt at 13.1

I have 3 goals for time....my stretch goal is 1:43. My "what I want to do" time is 1:47. My "this is the worst time I will accept" is 1:52. Feeling good and ready to roll!

Good luck man! Those will be some good times for your first half.

How much speedwork do you do? 200s, 400s and to a lesser extent 800s?

There are a bunch of different things you can do with these distances. Ladders, intervals, etc..

i do speedwork every week. i mix it up. i try to do anywhere from 3-4 miles of actual speed (with recovery and warmup/cooldown, i generally end up with anywhere between 6-8 miles total), though once i'm actually into marathon training (in two months), i'll try to get up to 5 miles of speed. some weeks i do 400s, some 800s, some mile repeats. i have done one ladder (4x200, 2x400, 800, mile, 800, 2x400, 4x200). i tend to favor 800s, and i really don't enjoy anything shorter than 400s, but i'll do it if i have to. the thing is that i just don't seem to be improving.

i do speedwork every week. i mix it up. i try to do anywhere from 3-4 miles of actual speed (with recovery and warmup/cooldown, i generally end up with anywhere between 6-8 miles total), though once i'm actually into marathon training (in two months), i'll try to get up to 5 miles of speed. some weeks i do 400s, some 800s, some mile repeats. i have done one ladder (4x200, 2x400, 800, mile, 800, 2x400, 4x200). i tend to favor 800s, and i really don't enjoy anything shorter than 400s, but i'll do it if i have to. the thing is that i just don't seem to be improving.

I'd say that you need to set some faster goals for that speed work. If you're actually doing 5k training, sans any future marathon, I'd cut out some of that ladder workout.

If you're running 40 second 200s, have a day where you run 12, 39 or 38 second 200s. Or if you're running 80 second 400s, run 8 75 second 400s. You need to focus on actual speed, I'm sure you endurance is there.

I'd say that you need to set some faster goals for that speed work. If you're actually doing 5k training, sans any future marathon, I'd cut out some of that ladder workout.

If you're running 40 second 200s, have a day where you run 12, 39 or 38 second 200s. Or if you're running 80 second 400s, run 8 75 second 400s. You need to focus on actual speed, I'm sure you endurance is there.

i guess what i meant to say, though completely failed to say, is that i feel like i'm pushing myself to my limit already. i find that when i go faster than what i'm already going, i crap out of energy way too early in the workout. i'm sure i could go faster for a few, but i couldn't keep the workout up at that kind of speed.

i guess what i meant to say, though completely failed to say, is that i feel like i'm pushing myself to my limit already. i find that when i go faster than what i'm already going, i crap out of energy way too early in the workout. i'm sure i could go faster for a few, but i couldn't keep the workout up at that kind of speed.

Do you work out with anyone else?

Obviously you're at some type of plateau. It could be that you are at your physical limit(doubful) or that you just need to work in some new variety in your workouts.

Without knowing more about you and your workouts, I'm not sure I can help to much :(

Do you work out with anyone else?

Obviously you're at some type of plateau. It could be that you are at your physical limit(doubful) or that you just need to work in some new variety in your workouts.

Without knowing more about you and your workouts, I'm not sure I can help to much :(

yeah, i've been doing my track workouts with other people. but our speeds are different enough that we don't really do them truly together. we more just show up at the track at the same time, warm up together, start our first repeat together, and then run separate the rest of the time. i DO feel like it would help me a lot if i had a coach or somebody who could pace me through these things. but given that i'm not made of money, that's not really practical for right now.

no worries if you can't help. i guess i'm mostly just frustrated that i don't seem to be improving. i was asking for advice, but mostly just needed to vent. thanks for trying :)

yeah, i've been doing my track workouts with other people. but our speeds are different enough that we don't really do them truly together. we more just show up at the track at the same time, warm up together, start our first repeat together, and then run separate the rest of the time. i DO feel like it would help me a lot if i had a coach or somebody who could pace me through these things. but given that i'm not made of money, that's not really practical for right now.

no worries if you can't help. i guess i'm mostly just frustrated that i don't seem to be improving. i was asking for advice, but mostly just needed to vent. thanks for trying :)

Completely understandable. Sometimes it takes running with some other people who have similar skill levels to improve. It is really, really tough to push yourself while solo running. Especially with speed workouts.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll offer any advice I can give. Hopefully we can get some other people in here to help as well.

Hoops, how has your cramping been? I have zero idea if this is accurate, but you might need to be fueling differently for speed vs. endurance. I'll emphasize that I just made that up, but it's a thought.

For example, I don't use Clif Shots for runs less than 13 miles or Gatorade for runs less than 6 miles (if it's really hot and I'm sweating extra) or 9 miles approx. If you operate similarly, maybe you need to change that view for track/speed workouts? Keep those energy levels up.

i haven't had a cramp since saturday, and i'm pretty sure saturday's was a result of dehydration (happened in the middle of a race when i hadn't been drinking anything during the race at all). but i realize that 4 days without a cramp isn't exactly a lot, so i'm not really sure what to think right now.

and it's definitely crossed my mind that i may need to change something up with the diet. i don't do any gus/gels/anything until i get into long runs (and right now my longest regular run is 13ish, so i'm not using anything yet), and i never really do gatorade. maybe i need to start. but my regular eating habits are probably the healthiest they've ever been, so i find it hard to believe that something in my regular diet (excluding gatorade, etc) needs to be changed. maybe i'm wrong though?

Hoops, how has your cramping been? I have zero idea if this is accurate, but you might need to be fueling differently for speed vs. endurance. I'll emphasize that I just made that up, but it's a thought.

For example, I don't use Clif Shots for runs less than 13 miles or Gatorade for runs less than 6 miles (if it's really hot and I'm sweating extra) or 9 miles approx. If you operate similarly, maybe you need to change that view for track/speed workouts? Keep those energy levels up.

i haven't had a cramp since saturday, and i'm pretty sure saturday's was a result of dehydration (happened in the middle of a race when i hadn't been drinking anything during the race at all). but i realize that 4 days without a cramp isn't exactly a lot, so i'm not really sure what to think right now.

and it's definitely crossed my mind that i may need to change something up with the diet. i don't do any gus/gels/anything until i get into long runs (and right now my longest regular run is 13ish, so i'm not using anything yet), and i never really do gatorade. maybe i need to start. but my regular eating habits are probably the healthiest they've ever been, so i find it hard to believe that something in my regular diet (excluding gatorade, etc) needs to be changed. maybe i'm wrong though?

My general rule of thumb is a GU for every 50 minutes of running.

Gatorade/powerade/gu have some valuable effects on your body. I'd suggest at least trying them more regularly.

Bump

Did 16 this morning. Felt way better than a 16 miler I struggled through a few weeks back.

Actually put on some music 11 miles in. It had been over a year since listening to music on an outside run. Was a nice change to the same old same old.

ran a terrible 17.5 on Saturday. Actually, I was going great until my knee started to feel funny--not an overwhelming sense of pain but just out of balance and a little creaky. Our group made a water stop at 17.5 (supposed to do 22), and I couldn't start up again. My knee just flat out said "No."

This has never happened to me before and i don't quite know what to make of it. I think that I'll ice it and give it a few days of before attempting some shorter runs (less than 6).

Back