• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Ran a half yesterday morning in Kings Mountain and although I was slow AF, I really forgot how much I missed racing. Will definitely look to be adding more races to my calendar before my friend's half in Omaha this October

Signed up for the (moved) Cherry Blossom that’s now in September. Ramping up the weekly mileage as the summer gets hotter is a fun thing you can do, I recommend it.

Signed up for the (moved) Cherry Blossom that’s now in September. Ramping up the weekly mileage as the summer gets hotter is a fun thing you can do, I recommend it.

It's a good run. I was offered a spot from last year being cancelled, but I'm holding off until the spring.

And yeah, long distance running at 70F+ is fun...

I have to store a roll of duct tape next to my running shoes this time of year so I can tape my big toe every running day.

It's a good run. I was offered a spot from last year being cancelled, but I'm holding off until the spring.

And yeah, long distance running at 70F+ is fun...

Was 88 feels like 96 just now for my tempo run

And good call on waiting til the spring. It’s nice when, you know, the cherry blossoms are out.

if your workout calls for 30 min tempo, what do you do?

hal higdon suggests 10 min easy, 10 min race pace, 10 min easy

when i was in hs, 30 min tempo was running ~80% race pace for 30 min with a short warmup and cool down

if your workout calls for 30 min tempo, what do you do?

hal higdon suggests 10 min easy, 10 min race pace, 10 min easy

when i was in hs, 30 min tempo was running ~80% race pace for 30 min with a short warmup and cool down

The second is closer. Tempo is tempo, not slow, fast, slow.

Yeah, a thirty minute tempo should be thirty minutes at tempo pace. What HH described is a ten minute tempo.

Thanks, I agree.

The HH plans are pretty rudimentary mixes of speed work, distance, and building mileage over the course of weeks, and are useful and easy to follow in that regard. But I never really liked his descriptions of how some of the runs should be effort-wise.

As you suggest, HH isn't really designed for someone like you who ran competitively and understands what each kind of workout in a training plan should entail.

For most users, I suspect it is helpful and convenient for the plan (or app) to combine warm-up, workout, and cool down into a single "workout" called "tempo" but comprising all three parts. If that makes sense.

Props to whoever DemonDeacon is on Peloton. Nice shout-out during Emma’s last classic rock ride.

Since I took it this morning I’m assuming it’s a sign that we’re hearing Wake’s name getting called tonight. For a really solid NIT seed.

Any Peleton users notice people cheating on the leaderboard? Today I watched a dude get credit for 308 Kj in a 3-minute span, which would basically launch someone through the Alps and into the clouds.

Any Peleton users notice people cheating on the leaderboard? Today I watched a dude get credit for 308 Kj in a 3-minute span, which would basically launch someone through the Alps and into the clouds.
How do you cheat like that? My only cheating is staying seated during the stand up portions and pedaling hard. I hate standing up while pedaling.

There are some articles out there on the Peleton screen being hacked. There are subreddits with Peleton users documenting cheating on leaderboards with the perpetrators outperforming Tour de France guys by a wide margin.

For the ride in question, the leaderboard as of this morning looks like this, with 11,150 people having completed the ride

1. 2004
2. 1767
3. 1204
4. 1127
5. 1111

those top two scores are the rough equivalent of a 5.5 second and 7.0 second 100M. Those bikes are either accidentally or purposely improperly calibrated, at best.

As for what one gets...I guess you post your "impressive" stats to IG and people say wow, great job, man.

There are some articles out there on the Peleton screen being hacked. There are subreddits with Peleton users documenting cheating on leaderboards with the perpetrators outperforming Tour de France guys by a wide margin.

For the ride in question, the leaderboard as of this morning looks like this, with 11,150 people having completed the ride

1. 2004
2. 1767
3. 1204
4. 1127
5. 1111

those top two scores are the rough equivalent of a 5.5 second and 7.0 second 100M. Those bikes are either accidentally or purposely improperly calibrated, at best.

As for what one gets...I guess you post your "impressive" stats to IG and people say wow, great job, man.
This has been happening for years -- I've been using the Peloton since 2017 or so and the top of the leaderboard has always been silly. I mostly just play video game and watch movies on the just ride setting now so I don't see it anymore, but I don't know how it could've gotten crazier.

Yeah I had a buddy who kept getting insane numbers on rides, every now and then he'd send them to me as like competition or whatever. I looked at his metrics finally and they made no sense. Turns out he had two things going on I think - first a weirdly-calibrated bike, second a desire to game the system. Basically on his bike he could jack the resistance to 99 and still pedal. Now, on my bike that was pretty much physically impossible, and considering he's not a huge person or jacked or anything obviously we had very different setups. So he'd do a few minutes of 99 on rides that would net absolutely absurd output numbers. He was obsessed with getting the #1 spot on a bunch of rides so he kept experimenting at like 20rpm's 99 resistance and stuff like that.

I've also seen a significant variance in both bike and between software updates personally. When I upgraded my original to the bike plus, my first handful of rides were nuts. All PR's despite not feeling overly taxing. A few months later after a software update I'm killing myself to come within 100 points of those rides, now it's kind of settled somewhere in the middle. Then there's reddit talk of hacks - both techy and mechanical ones, to game the system.

In the end it really doesn't matter to me at all, and considering the shoutouts during rides are really just for milestones of total rides taken (and they figured out people are just starting rides without pedaling and call them out on it) I don't even get why anyone would go to that trouble... But to each their own. I just use the scoring as a personal reference point, and occasionally will watch a live leaderboard if I'm retaking a class that's recent enough to have 40 or 50 people actively riding since it's much less likely to snag a cheater on a replay.

All I really care about is that Peloton keeps churning out entertaining rides and other workouts and that the system works reliably. A+ on those in my book.

When I ride a Peloton in a hotel gym or whatever I have finally learned to just enjoy the entertaining ride and ignore the numbers, or pay attention to HR on my watch as a better effort guide. They're so wildly inaccurate versus my Zwift setup at home (which I can calibrate) that it's laughable. Heck, sometimes the power output is 0 for the whole ride on hotel bikes. It used to drive me crazy to see the power number as 0 for a whole ride, but then I just moved on with my life and remembered that doing the exercise is about stress relief, not added stress :)

This has been happening for years -- I've been using the Peloton since 2017 or so and the top of the leaderboard has always been silly. I mostly just play video game and watch movies on the just ride setting now so I don't see it anymore, but I don't know how it could've gotten crazier.

Then there's reddit talk of hacks - both techy and mechanical ones, to game the system.

In the end it really doesn't matter to me at all, and considering the shoutouts during rides are really just for milestones of total rides taken (and they figured out people are just starting rides without pedaling and call them out on it) I don't even get why anyone would go to that trouble... But to each their own. I just use the scoring as a personal reference point, and occasionally will watch a live leaderboard if I'm retaking a class that's recent enough to have 40 or 50 people actively riding since it's much less likely to snag a cheater on a replay.

I'm also on r/peloton and this comes up every-so-often. It appears to be easy for a motivated person to cheat their output ratings via bike calibration.

I don't care much about leaderboard (which I keep hidden), beyond hoping to see myself in the 67th percentile or better at the end of the ride. However, I do pay close attention to my historical average output and PR levels. I've also used this Expected Output Tables for Peloton Bikes to see if my bike was 'properly' calibrated and consistent. When I first received my bike it was pretty much in line, but after I had a bottom bracket replaced, the expected outcomes all dropped 5% or so which impacts comparing present rides to past ones.

I'm very easy to find on Peloton if anyone wants another follower. Lastly, I'll add my favorite rides from 2022 were Denis Morton's 30 minute Eminem ride, Erik Jäger's 20 minute Oktoberfest ride, and Ben Alldis' 10 minutes stretches (there are lots of them).

Back