• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

just had my left knee scoped for the 2nd time in 2 years for a meniscus tear...it never really hurt, it just didn't feel "right," esp. when running.

and by monster PR i mean by about 2 minutes (was off on her best marathon time)

this is all making me want to go run but already got miles in this morning predawn so will have to wait until tomorrow

Ryan Hall is dropping. God must not want him to win

LOLOLOL. My buddy was roommates with Ryan Hall at Stanford. Him and his wife left Mammoth Lakes because the Halls were some evangelical nutters.

WAY TO GO WP09!!!! Poor form for the BAA to drop a letter on your first and last but never mind that. 2nd American at Boston. WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4008122

:D

Hahahha. I always used to hate that guy, because he made me look terrible. People would ask my name, and be like, "DAMN, you are awesome, you run for Cornell, right?". I'd sigh and say, "no", look about 100 places back on the results.

I did not run the Boston Marathon today. But if I did, I would just now be crossing the finish line.

i'm having heart rate issues... this has never been a problem before, but lately my heart rate has been way high for the effort i'm putting out (only with running, though. cycling is fine, swimming is fine). anyone dealt with this before/have any tips on getting that down?

(i'm not out of shape by any means, either, which is why it seems weird to me... today my average pace was 8:33 for 3.2mi, and AVERAGE HR was 183. yikes. this is the 3rd run that's been like this.)

i'm having heart rate issues... this has never been a problem before, but lately my heart rate has been way high for the effort i'm putting out (only with running, though. cycling is fine, swimming is fine). anyone dealt with this before/have any tips on getting that down?

(i'm not out of shape by any means, either, which is why it seems weird to me... today my average pace was 8:33 for 3.2mi, and AVERAGE HR was 183. yikes. this is the 3rd run that's been like this.)

that does seem pretty high. are you running faster than you usually do (i know this seems like a dumb question)? mine usually only gets that high at the end of a race where i'm kicking it in. but maybe you're pushing yourself too hard during your runs?

ughhh terrible run today. i had a f'ing terrible side stitch right after i got going good. any good tips on how to prevent these? when i have a bad running day its usually from some kind of stomach cramp.

that does seem pretty high. are you running faster than you usually do (i know this seems like a dumb question)? mine usually only gets that high at the end of a race where i'm kicking it in. but maybe you're pushing yourself too hard during your runs?

nope; i've been pacing at 8:30 or around there for a little while now. the only real difference has been warmer weather?

i had a rough track workout tonight. we set out to do 3xmile with 800 recovery. completely scratched that plan after the first mile. i wound up doing 1 mile with 800 recovery, then 8x400 with 1:30 standing recovery. the heat practically killed me, and i just needed the standing recovery time to get water and stop the urge to throw up. and it was only 80 something. this is going to get baaaaaaaad when it really gets into the summer and it's 90+ during our workouts.

Agreed about the heat Hoops. I had a fartlek workout and was struggling towards the end.

I hate chiming in on posts like this one but I can't resist only because I've been there. DON'T DO THIS, DeacHoops. You had a bad night. Your next workout might suck too. Heck, you might have three bad workouts in a row. Oh well.

One of the worst things a runner can do is to over analyze a series of bad workouts and conclude that everything is going wrong and "you suck" and "you'll never get better" blah blah blah. No. Don't do this. Fact -- if you are doing workouts and are anything less than a 5:30 - 6 min per mile sort of runner, you are going to get better. You are baking the cake, so to speak. You may not be spreading the icing but you're baking the cake, the foundation, and that's good stuff. Fact -- EVERYONE HAS BAD WORKOUTS. EVERYONE. The best runners in the world string 5-10 bad workouts in a row. Seriously.

So don't panic. You're out there, trying. You're running race pace or sub-race pace effort on the track. You're doing the long runs. You're getting some strides in. You're trying to eat and drink right but you like food/drink so it's tough. It's hard. But you're trying. The key is to not over analyze the bad days. Funny -- running and golf are so different and yet runners can learn so much from golfers. You're going to shoot a bad round. You're going to have a bad run. Good golfers are going to hack it around for consecutive rounds. Runners are going to have a series of bad runs. But don't rewrite the training manual quite yet. More often than not, you'll pop out of it and all will be well.

I've been running for over 20 years and it's only been during the last 2-3 when I've FINALLY been willing to write off a bad day. The comments in my log reflect this -- "Terrible run, d*mn. Oh well, not going to over-analyze it . . . wasn't my day." "WTF happened this week? Why was everything so f'n hard?" "Why am I so tired? This makes no sense?" I've got 4 x 1600 workouts in my log that morphed into 1 x 1600, 1 x 1200, 1 x 400 and then jog in -- it sucks. But even the best fall apart. More often than not, I popped out of it, resumed regular training goals down the line and all was well. The small number of times in my running career when I didn't I adjusted, but this wasn't until I had struggled a number of weeks.

Heat/work/whatever -- don't overanalyze it. You had a bad day. It happens. You're still a good runner, getting better, getting the job done. DON'T PANIC. Seriously -- don't pass judgment on what you can do and what you are about for months. If your race results over a long period of time reflect struggle, well, THEN adjust. But not after a few horrible workouts in a row. It happens to everyone.

i had a rough track workout tonight. we set out to do 3xmile with 800 recovery. completely scratched that plan after the first mile. i wound up doing 1 mile with 800 recovery, then 8x400 with 1:30 standing recovery. the heat practically killed me, and i just needed the standing recovery time to get water and stop the urge to throw up. and it was only 80 something. this is going to get baaaaaaaad when it really gets into the summer and it's 90+ during our workouts.

That response struck me as a little funny. While I recognize it was completely heart-felt and well intentioned, DeacHoops is probably one of the last posters/runners that needs that speech.
Me, on the other hand... I needed to hear that. It's been a rough last week.

Back