• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Yo Leebs I just signed up for the 70.3 in Wilimington in October. Am I gonna die?

Nah. Bike fitness will make the biggest difference for you, though. Build up to longer rides so you can do them consistently, then add brick workouts in (running straight off the bike; set up a transition area in your garage) as you get closer.

I got to work on Oahu for a week, and then then the family met me on Maui for a week of vacation. Just some glorious runs. I got in 48 miles in the 2 weeks, slightly more than a typical week.

Nah. Bike fitness will make the biggest difference for you, though. Build up to longer rides so you can do them consistently, then add brick workouts in (running straight off the bike; set up a transition area in your garage) as you get closer.

Yeah bike fitness is going to be the struggle. About a decent hybrid bike two years ago that I haven't used much. I took it on an 11 mile ride today, which was fairly hilly with a couple of traffic stops. It took me about 55 minutes and I was decently tired after. Definitely going to have to work on that.

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: COOLING DOWN

Did it last year, had a blast. Tough time doing more than 1-2 of these a year, though, with the time commitment. Was reminiscing about last year's Palmetto while planning in the early stages for the Bourbon Chase in Kentucky.

QUOTE=bym051d;3080191]Guess not. Had a great time and got an awesome medal and a lifetime of experiences.

P.S. 6.5mi uphill is tough.[/QUOTE]

Who did I see on Sharon View in Charlotte this past Saturday morning?

Just seeing this, but possibly me.

Edit: If you saw a 30s something male in a Wake shirt between Colony-Sharon stretch of Sharon View.

Yeah bike fitness is going to be the struggle. About a decent hybrid bike two years ago that I haven't used much. I took it on an 11 mile ride today, which was fairly hilly with a couple of traffic stops. It took me about 55 minutes and I was decently tired after. Definitely going to have to work on that.

Yes. Absolutely.
What bike do you have? Is that what you'll be racing on?

I have been a runner for 6-7 years now. Last fall, a friend talked me into attempting a tri, so I bought a Felt Z6 and got in a pool for the first time in 25 years. I have quickly learned that I am pretty good on a bike, it actually may be my strongest sport. However, that didn't keep me from getting dropped when my friends, all of whom own higher end tri bikes, would go aero. So, with an eye on at least competing in duals if I'm not a fan of tris (still not the best swimmer), I made the move today. Just bought a used Cervelo P3. Excited and nervous all at the same time, considering, after my house and car, it is now the most expensive thing I own.

I have been a runner for 6-7 years now. Last fall, a friend talked me into attempting a tri, so I bought a Felt Z6 and got in a pool for the first time in 25 years. I have quickly learned that I am pretty good on a bike, it actually may be my strongest sport. However, that didn't keep me from getting dropped when my friends, all of whom own higher end tri bikes, would go aero. So, with an eye on at least competing in duals if I'm not a fan of tris (still not the best swimmer), I made the move today. Just bought a used Cervelo P3. Excited and nervous all at the same time, considering, after my house and car, it is now the most expensive thing I own.

I always struggle staying in aero - it hurts my back and neck. It supposedly adds 1 mph with the same effort. Of course, I am old and have a bad back, so...

I am doing my first Xterra off-road tri later this month in Dirty Myrtle. I'm not a very skilled mountain biker but am assuming the track in Myrtle can't be THAT difficult, being near the coast, right? Anyone here done that one?

I cannot recommend highly enough getting a professional fit on the tri bike. It seems extravagant to spend ~200 on something when you just dropped big coin on the bike, but the efficiencies that can be found through fit alone (more so than just dropping as low as you can) are worth the investment, not only in your speed but in the injury prevention. Your performance and fit on the bike has huge implications for your run - if you are for real interested in doing multisport and see yourself doing more than a couple races, please do yourself the favor and get that done.

I always struggle staying in aero - it hurts my back and neck. It supposedly adds 1 mph with the same effort. Of course, I am old and have a bad back, so...

I am doing my first Xterra off-road tri later this month in Dirty Myrtle. I'm not a very skilled mountain biker but am assuming the track in Myrtle can't be THAT difficult, being near the coast, right? Anyone here done that one?

With xterra in general I would say get ready to eat some humble pie. People who take it seriously are bonkers-fast on the bike. That said, it's definitely fun!

I cannot recommend highly enough getting a professional fit on the tri bike. It seems extravagant to spend ~200 on something when you just dropped big coin on the bike, but the efficiencies that can be found through fit alone (more so than just dropping as low as you can) are worth the investment, not only in your speed but in the injury prevention. Your performance and fit on the bike has huge implications for your run - if you are for real interested in doing multisport and see yourself doing more than a couple races, please do yourself the favor and get that done.

I'll definitely do a fitting. I did one for the road bike as well and am a full believer in them. I actually bought the bike from someone in another state. Before paying, had him deliver to a bike shop, who did a full inspection. They are now boxing it up and will ship it directly to my local shop, who will re-assemble, do a tune-up and then a fitting (hopefully next Saturday so I can ride the next day).

I'll definitely do a fitting. I did one for the road bike as well and am a full believer in them. I actually bought the bike from someone in another state. Before paying, had him deliver to a bike shop, who did a full inspection. They are now boxing it up and will ship it directly to my local shop, who will re-assemble, do a tune-up and then a fitting (hopefully next Saturday so I can ride the next day).

Excellent!

Enjoy it. The two biggest easy improvements you can make on your bike time are going clipless (typically happens early in one's cycling endeavor) and then specifically for triathlon, getting aero. It's the easiest minutes you'll ever shave off your time!

With xterra in general I would say get ready to eat some humble pie. People who take it seriously are bonkers-fast on the bike. That said, it's definitely fun!

That's not a problem, I just do these things for fun and exercise. I'm not worried about eating humble pie, just hoping I don't eat any dirt!

USA absolutely dominated today. Good to see some random names from college back in the big-time, especially Bumbi from Georgetown and Graham Tribble from UVA (lots and lots of wake connections in the family). Also Joanna Thompson from State in top ten for women.

Yeah - solid showing, and damn. Hellish conditions.

Back