• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I feel like it's going to take me until my 40s to qualify for Boston.

Running Richmond this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Running Charlotte on Saturday morning, should be fun. My first marathon since 2014.

Running Charlotte on Saturday morning, should be fun. My first marathon since 2014.

Awesome! I'm glad you've been able to battle back, Io.

I ran the Disney Wine & Dine 2 Course Challenge last weekend (10k + 1/2 marathon). It's not mentally as tough as a marathon, but might be physically worse, since you're getting up and running when you're sore and tired from the previous day.

Also, I didn't slow down for the 10k as much as I should've.

In those 2 days, between the racing and walking at Disney, I logged 46 miles.

I can't imagine the people who do the 5k + 10k + 1/2 + full on marathon weekend.

Awesome! I'm glad you've been able to battle back, Io.

I ran the Disney Wine & Dine 2 Course Challenge last weekend (10k + 1/2 marathon). It's not mentally as tough as a marathon, but might be physically worse, since you're getting up and running when you're sore and tired from the previous day.

Also, I didn't slow down for the 10k as much as I should've.

In those 2 days, between the racing and walking at Disney, I logged 46 miles.

I can't imagine the people who do the 5k + 10k + 1/2 + full on marathon weekend.

My friend did that a couple years ago (the goofy challenge).
She said it was the dumbest thing she couldv'e done to herself, and her hips are still a little wonky from it.

Richmond was great. Big PR. Wish it was a little warmer but beautiful, flat course.

Thanks! I'm very slow and humbled by all the fast posters on here, but took 4:25 down to 3:40. Hit a big wall at mile 18 and my last 6 or so were pretty slow. Even with the soreness I'm still thinking about what could be next. It'll take a lot of incremental progress from here to get down to my long term Boston goal, but I'm young yet!

Thanks! I'm very slow and humbled by all the fast posters on here, but took 4:25 down to 3:40. Hit a big wall at mile 18 and my last 6 or so were pretty slow. Even with the soreness I'm still thinking about what could be next. It'll take a lot of incremental progress from here to get down to my long term Boston goal, but I'm young yet!

Nice! and yes, I'm also humbled by the fast folks. Plus, aside from the folks on here, It's crazy to feel relatively fast for myself on something... then realize Shalane just maintained my mile PR for an entire marathon.
Boston for me would be taking a 4:00 down to 3:35. Seems reasonable considering the 4:00 was a split from an Ironman race... seems like if I *just* focus on running it would be doable? I'm most likely wayyyy underestimating things, though.

If you can run 4 flat after two legs of an Ironman, I bet you could slice off significant time for "just" a marathon.

And hahaha I don't have any problems comparing myself to the best in the world, except to say it's hard for me to even conceive of some of their times. I'd say at this point all my benchmarks are against my dad. I beat him in the mile and everything below it, but he has me beat in everything else from 2 mile to marathon. He ran a dozen or so marathons, first one in his 40s, and PR'd at 3:04. That's a long loooong ways for me to catch up to so Boston is a nice intermediate goal. He has a sweet Boston jacket I always wanted to borrow in high school but he never let me. "Gotta earn it." Want that jacket.

If you can run 4 flat after two legs of an Ironman, I bet you could slice off significant time for "just" a marathon.

And hahaha I don't have any problems comparing myself to the best in the world, except to say it's hard for me to even conceive of some of their times. I'd say at this point all my benchmarks are against my dad. I beat him in the mile and everything below it, but he has me beat in everything else from 2 mile to marathon. He ran a dozen or so marathons, first one in his 40s, and PR'd at 3:04. That's a long loooong ways for me to catch up to so Boston is a nice intermediate goal. He has a sweet Boston jacket I always wanted to borrow in high school but he never let me. "Gotta earn it." Want that jacket.

Treat yo' self: https://www.marathonsports.com/products/as-viz-jacket-m-ao3843

In the big picture, 3:40 is not slow.

that's awesome (the jacket story).
What you're saying about not being able to conceive of some of their times is what I intended in bringing up Shalane. It's one thing to have a reasonably fast (yet hopefully attainable) goal... past that, it's boggling to think about how fast the top athletes are.

welp i tried to retire from the 50K in northern Maryland I've done the past five years (HAT 50K) but damn if my friends didn't rope me back in (it didn't take much). Gunning for a PR this go around, anything can happen on this course. Excited to be signed up for something and ready to train the fuck out of my plan.

this past weekend...
Neighbor lady: Hey! I'm starting my Boston training plan and have a 12mi run on Sunday. I run ~8min/mi. Want to join for some of it?
Me: Sure! I'll do the first (very hilly 4 mi) loop with you. Sounds great!

My sad, sad out-of-shape self, approximately .6 miles in: WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK WERE YOU THINKING.

It's gonna be a long road to get back. Womp womp.

That took some serious bravado, Leebs.

I did my first single track ride last weekend. I didn’t die, but did have a blast.

4 miles on the trail isn’t the same as 4 on the road...

Anybody mix heavy weight training and running? I've always been a pretty heavy lifter, but I've kind of fallen in love with trail running after adding it into my training program to train for these obstacle races that a group of us have been competing in, and I am planning on training for a marathon in the next year. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble maintaining 8-8.5 minute miles on the longer distances, and my legs seem to be pretty tired a lot of the time. Does this have more to do with overtraining, i.e. running too soon or too far after leg day, or more likely because I'm a bigger dude(6 foot and 210). I don't have a lot of body fat, but I'm wondering if I need to cut some weight and muscle to be a more effective distance runner. I don't see a lot of beefy dudes running long distances.

When you say you're having trouble keeping pace, do you mean cardio or legs?

When you say you're having trouble keeping pace, do you mean cardio or legs?

It's really my legs feel like they're running down, especially on extended hills. My cardio never really seems to be an issue.

Anybody mix heavy weight training and running? I've always been a pretty heavy lifter, but I've kind of fallen in love with trail running after adding it into my training program to train for these obstacle races that a group of us have been competing in, and I am planning on training for a marathon in the next year. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble maintaining 8-8.5 minute miles on the longer distances, and my legs seem to be pretty tired a lot of the time. Does this have more to do with overtraining, i.e. running too soon or too far after leg day, or more likely because I'm a bigger dude(6 foot and 210). I don't have a lot of body fat, but I'm wondering if I need to cut some weight and muscle to be a more effective distance runner. I don't see a lot of beefy dudes running long distances.

I do a fair bit of both although I have taken my running down significantly over the past couple of years to try and save what is left of my knees and hips I currently only run about 70 miles/month. What I found was that the fastest version of me does hardly any significant weight training and weighs about 165. The healthiest/best feeling version of me splits running and lifting about 50/50 weighs about 180.

Edited to add: The happiest version of me eats a shit ton of pie and weighs about 200.

Back