• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Pushed it maybe a little hard in the last half of December and lately have a dull pain in my left leg, maybe 1/3 of the way below my knee on the inside. It could be posterior shin splints, but it seems a little high for that, and maybe those shin splints typically occur lower down the leg? The other thing that comes up is a stress fracture, which, holy fuck, that sounds not good.

Pushed it maybe a little hard in the last half of December and lately have a dull pain in my left leg, maybe 1/3 of the way below my knee on the inside. It could be posterior shin splints, but it seems a little high for that, and maybe those shin splints typically occur lower down the leg? The other thing that comes up is a stress fracture, which, holy fuck, that sounds not good.
Just gotta cut way back on your miles, man. Could be a stress reaction or could be worse. Stress fractures are no big deal though. I've had like a million (four).

How bad am I going to break myself doing a trail 25k five weeks from now? Current long run = 8mi., which is admittedly not very long.

Being [relatively] out of shape is no fun.

How bad am I going to break myself doing a trail 25k five weeks from now? Current long run = 8mi., which is admittedly not very long.

8 miles is about half what you plan to do. Work to do, enjoy the pain.

Yep, pretty much. I know I'll be able to DO it... it's just going to hurt a lot afterwards, whereas a couple years ago a 15mi run of any sort would have just been a normal Saturday jaunt. Womp womp.

In related-ish news, I went skate skiing for the first time this weekend and it was a lot of fun... but I have some weird stabilizer muscles that are pretty pissed off.

i think you can build up to that.

week 1: 10
week 2: 12
week 3: 14
week 4: 10
week 5: race

i think you can build up to that.

week 1: 10
week 2: 12
week 3: 14
week 4: 10
week 5: race

yeah, it's doable. I need to more-consistently get midweek miles, too.

it's been a LONG time since I've had a plan for anything, so it's been a trip getting back into the mindset of building mileage, etc. I'm really, really enjoying the running though, which is kind of new!

Speaking of trail runs, I feel like my decision to sign up for the WTF was a poor one.

A couple of questions for you guys.

1) I've never trained for a triathlon but I've signed up to do two sprints this year because I want to try something fun. Do I need to specifically train for them or will a solid fitness background get me through? I never run more than I have to in workouts, so my 5k time is about 23/24 minutes if that helps.

2) I need a bike but don't really know where to start. I've looked at some Trek's online. The first tri I'm doing is a 12ish mile trail ride so I want a decent bike for that. If I get an entry level trail bike ($400-600), will that suffice for a the bike portion of a normal tri (12ish road miles)?

1) I've never trained for a triathlon but I've signed up to do two sprints this year because I want to try something fun. Do I need to specifically train for them or will a solid fitness background get me through? I never run more than I have to in workouts, so my 5k time is about 23/24 minutes if that helps.

2) I need a bike but don't really know where to start. I've looked at some Trek's online. The first tri I'm doing is a 12ish mile trail ride so I want a decent bike for that. If I get an entry level trail bike ($400-600), will that suffice for a the bike portion of a normal tri (12ish road miles)?

Ohhhh boy! Triathlon is fun.

Here are my comments:
1. A general fitness base is good. Swim, if you're not already! At least a few times before your first tri, you'll want to do what is called a "brick" workout, where you ride your bike first, and then go for a short run straight-away. This will also give you time to set up a little mini transition area in your driveway (or wherever) and practice that, too.
2. Bike fitness translates so much to the other two disciplines, especially the run. The more consistently and well you can ride your bike, the better suited you'll be for the run portion, as your legs will be less fatigued than if you only ever ride so many as 12 miles. You should aim for more rides in the 25-30mi distance range.
3. Are these pool or open water swims? If the latter, practice an open water swim in a wetsuit at least once before your race, if possible. Wetsuits are awkward and they can really throw some people off, even if you're a decent swimmer. Also, if they are open water, practice bi-lateral breathing in the pool, as well as sighting. There are a lot of links to youtube things for techniques on that (sighting) if that's totally foreign to you.

As for the bike... honestly, I would borrow a mountain bike from someone for the trail triathlon, if possible, and invest your money in a more road-specific bike. While you *can* ride a mountain bike (or bike with suspension) on the road, it is far less efficient. Plus, for training, you'll want a more comfortable ride for the road than what a mountain bike would be able to do for you.

I could go on an on about the bike stuff, but that would be my initial comment. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, PM me/come back here and I'd be happy to check your local craigslist links and make suggestions.

Reactions: DG3

Yeah swim a bit. I'd probably plan to go out and swim 1000yd at least 3-4 times before the tri day.

The rest you'll get through fine on whatever bike/run pave feels comfy. Just do one or two then if you like it, invest in better stuff.

Start easy, finish strong.

Reactions: DG3
Question for the Pit runners. Over the two months, I have increased my running (speed and duration) pretty dramatically. I am up to 20-25 miles/week, and am currently training for a half-marathon in early June. It'll be my first half, though I've run some 15ks and 10 milers, before, so I'm relatively familiar with the distance. I have given myself a lot of training time to work up to the half-marathon, and am hoping to finish is a pretty decent time. So, basically, I'm not just 'trying to finish'.

Assuming the half goes well, I am thinking about running the Chicago Marathon on October 7th. The time difference between the half and full marathon is 18 weeks, which strikes me as more training time than necessary considering I'll already be well-trained for a half in early June. There looks to be a pretty nice marathon in Madison on September 1st.

So this is my long-winded way of basically asking: if you're well trained for a marathon, what is the actual recovery time? Even if I am well trained, is it unrealistic to a second marathon five weeks after my first-ever marathon? If you think it's too much to do both, then how would I alter my training plan to make Chicago even more successful (if I only run one, it'll be Chicago)?

Question for the Pit runners. Over the two months, I have increased my running (speed and duration) pretty dramatically. I am up to 20-25 miles/week, and am currently training for a half-marathon in early June. It'll be my first half, though I've run some 15ks and 10 milers, before, so I'm relatively familiar with the distance. I have given myself a lot of training time to work up to the half-marathon, and am hoping to finish is a pretty decent time. So, basically, I'm not just 'trying to finish'.

Assuming the half goes well, I am thinking about running the Chicago Marathon on October 7th. The time difference between the half and full marathon is 18 weeks, which strikes me as more training time than necessary considering I'll already be well-trained for a half in early June. There looks to be a pretty nice marathon in Madison on September 1st.

So this is my long-winded way of basically asking: if you're well trained for a marathon, what is the actual recovery time? Even if I am well trained, is it unrealistic to a second marathon five weeks after my first-ever marathon? If you think it's too much to do both, then how would I alter my training plan to make Chicago even more successful (if I only run one, it'll be Chicago)?

two marathons in 5 weeks is ambitious, particularly so for the 1st and 2nd marathon ever

Hal Higdon publishes training schedules including post-marathon recovery, and recommends running a 5k or 10k 5 weeks after the marathon

see the schedule for Intermediate Runners here (it's a 4-week plan with the first week - Week 0 - of little to no running)

Ohhhh boy! Triathlon is fun.

Here are my comments:
1. A general fitness base is good. Swim, if you're not already! At least a few times before your first tri, you'll want to do what is called a "brick" workout, where you ride your bike first, and then go for a short run straight-away. This will also give you time to set up a little mini transition area in your driveway (or wherever) and practice that, too.
2. Bike fitness translates so much to the other two disciplines, especially the run. The more consistently and well you can ride your bike, the better suited you'll be for the run portion, as your legs will be less fatigued than if you only ever ride so many as 12 miles. You should aim for more rides in the 25-30mi distance range.
3. Are these pool or open water swims? If the latter, practice an open water swim in a wetsuit at least once before your race, if possible. Wetsuits are awkward and they can really throw some people off, even if you're a decent swimmer. Also, if they are open water, practice bi-lateral breathing in the pool, as well as sighting. There are a lot of links to youtube things for techniques on that (sighting) if that's totally foreign to you.

As for the bike... honestly, I would borrow a mountain bike from someone for the trail triathlon, if possible, and invest your money in a more road-specific bike. While you *can* ride a mountain bike (or bike with suspension) on the road, it is far less efficient. Plus, for training, you'll want a more comfortable ride for the road than what a mountain bike would be able to do for you.

I could go on an on about the bike stuff, but that would be my initial comment. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, PM me/come back here and I'd be happy to check your local craigslist links and make suggestions.

I did my first sprint tri last summer and loved it and plan to do more this year. Borrowing a friend's road bike was key -- much faster than my hybrid.

I did my first sprint tri last summer and loved it and plan to do more this year. Borrowing a friend's road bike was key -- much faster than my hybrid.

Yes. Do not discount the importance of being comfortable on the bike. It's the longest portion of the race, and any discomfort on the bike will definitely affect your performance and general feelings on the run.

I wouldn't advise running a marathon 5 weeks after your first marathon. I'd argue most runners don't take enough time to fully recover from marathons these days. In terms of how you would alter your plan for Chicago, I'd need to see what your current plan looks like. Yes you'll be well-trained after the half marathon, but it's a big step up doubling the race distance.

WFUWaldo,

Good luck with your half and with the Chicago Marathon. I have run it for three straight years and will be running again this year. I would not recommend running two marathons that close together especially if they are your first and second marathons. Body definitely needs recovery time.

Also in my experience, a full was exponentially harder than a half. Certainly not double and required significantly more training.

I was not a runner until five years ago and followed theHal Higdon novice II pretty religiously and it helped to prepare me really well. Feel free to pm me to discuss further. I train in the north shore forest preserves so maybe I will run into you while you are training.

Btw Chicago marathon is awesome and tons of fun,especially if you have fri mds and family coming out to cheer you on. So many people there, both runners and spectators. Definitely a great first marathon since the course is flat and fast. Plus the weather in Chicago in October is usually conducive to good times. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back