• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

DeacHawk

Punishingly Intricate
Reaction score
Need this over here.

Marathon training starts officially on Monday, got a sick 16-week plan a buddy (and fellow Wake grad) put together. The mileage gets pretty intense but it'll prep me well. Three 20-milers should be solid.

Trip to Montana booked and ready to go. Now just need to train and get out there.

Last edited:
Need this over here.

Marathon training starts officially on Monday, got a sick 16-week plan a buddy (and fellow Wake grad) put together. The mileage gets pretty intense but it'll prep me well. Three 20-milers should be solid.

Trip to Montana booked and ready to go. Now just need to train and get out there.

What does the plan look like? what pace are you looking to run? I'm looking for a nice plan myself.

Just a little over 7 weeks until my next marathon (New River Marathon on May 7). I have way too much going on in the meantime to properly train. The logical weekend for my last 20-miler is my sister's wedding. I don't see how I will be able to make that happen.

Hopefully once my spring of weddings/showers slows down I can focus on training for the San Francisco Marathon on July 31, even though the summer heat won't be friendly.

I've been procrastinating, but I need to get a nice workout plan set up and find a marathon in sept/oct to run.

I'm excited to get back into running.

I'd love to get down towards 3:30 in my next race.

4 days of running a week:

Mondays: easy
Tuesdays: alternate between tempo and fartlek runs
Thursdays: intervals ranging from 400 meter to 2000 meters, repeats vary depending on distance
Saturdays: long runs

since it's my first marathon my main goal is just to finish but my training paces will be for about a 9 minute/mile marathon, which would be sub-4 hour. however, i am fully aware that time doesn't matter for this race.

@OSD,

i have 14 scheduled for that Saturday, those miles will be done Friday after work to allow proper spring game tailgating

I just started running about a month ago. I started the couch to 5k program and was doing pretty well on the treadmill. I recently switched to running outside and I absolutely hate it. gotta push through

what don't or aren't you liking about it? i've reached the point where i'd rather run in 15 degree temps then use the treadmill

2.5 miles in 20min tonight. felt good.

what don't or aren't you liking about it? i've reached the point where i'd rather run in 15 degree temps then use the treadmill

Ok, this may sound crazy but with a treadmill I know that I have to run for 5 min and then walk for a minute. Without a clock in front of me, I don't have the discipline to do that on the street. Also, I don't like the incline/declines.

I just need to keep running on the street so I can get the discipline/fitness to run. I started about 30 days ago and now i can run about 2.6miles in 35 min. My goal is 3 miles in 30 min.

awesome! eventually you will learn to love inclines or at least the declines that follow them. they help keep otherwise monotonous routes interesting, at least from my perspective

I've almost hit 100 miles since January 3rd, which is when I got back into running. This is the most serious I've ever been about it, though the weather and my schedule have made to tough the last week to run.

I need to work on speed more now, I did 2.3 miles in 20 minutes the other day and it nearly killed me. I'm naturally slow.

struggled through 10 today. sometimes you just don't have it but while it felt horrible, i still was on a pace i can live if (although super inconsistent today). weather was perfect at the start but once that sun rose all the way it felt a tad warm at times. now it's time to relax

Awesome 18 mile run today through Belmont in perfect weather. I wish it would stay like this all year. We started around 6 AM and now I get to relax the rest of the day.

sadly (ok, not sadly, it was awesome) i slept way late today, but i do plan on running later... it's going to be warm, which i'm not looking forward to, but i am looking forward to running outside for a change.

had a great 3.5mi in 30min today; it was supposed to only be 3.1 but i took a wrong turn on a new route and inadvertently added a bit extra.

it's amazing how quickly the body builds stamina; 3 weeks ago i couldn't have done 3.5 w/ no walking.

5 miles this afternoon after missing the last two weeks because of weather and a busy school/work schedule. Took 50 minutes, but I'm still trying to build up endurance right now.

I HATE RUNNING!

Unfortunately, I can't get out of it due to the Army PT test. Today, after shamming out of running all last week, I did 4 x 800m, 8:00 min pace today. I walked 400m after each interval at a pace that was about 1:1.25 (work:rest) based on time.

My PT test goal is 14:15 or less in the 2 mile run, and I'd like to run a 5k this summer under 23:00, since I'm essentially forced to run. All very do-able if I can get through the mental hurdles.

As a side note, my knees hurt more when I run than when I'm strictly lifting weights, but enough of the bitching. Hopefully this thread can become a training log for me. Next run is Wednesday - 3 miles.

Back